April 25, 2012

And Ode To Old Shoes

I worked from home yesterday and made myself presentable only when it was time to go pick up Mia from school after she stayed late for an after-school activity. Ripped jeans, a hoodie, a Foo Fighters t-shirt, and my Doc Martens. I looked like I'd just emerged from 1992 if only Dave Grohl had launched his band a few years earlier.

dasboots.jpg

I bought these Docs in 1992. In them I've done a lot over the years - smoked a lot of cigarettes, drank underage booze, drank legal-age booze, made midnight pizza runs, rented an apartment, bought a house, adopted a cat, bought cars, been in accidents, written tragically bad grunge songs, and watched my kids being born.

These are damn good shoes. May they survive another 20 years.

Posted by Chris at April 25, 2012 7:21 AM
Comments

Oh man, do I love a good pair of shoes. I had a pair of black Skechers (similar in style to your Docs) that lasted me for YEARS. Sooo comfortable. The only sad part is when they finally wear out and you go to replace them, only to find they don't make that shoe anymore. :-(

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 25, 2012 8:19 AM

It's nice to see something last that long, you know? Most things die out pretty quickly these days.

Posted by: Claire at April 25, 2012 8:20 AM

This makes me sad. :( I miss my old docs. I had a pair that lasted me from about '94 to 2002 but then my shoe size changed when I was pregnant and they stopped fitting. I never did get a new pair.

Good to see yours are still around. Here's to another 20 years.

Posted by: Jen at April 25, 2012 9:10 AM

I have a pair of brown Doc Marten boots I also bought in 1992 and they are still hanging in there!

Posted by: akofaolain at April 25, 2012 9:36 AM

May they last forever, as they don't make them like that anymore.

Just like Jen - I got a pair in 1992, and I wore them until my first pregnancy, when my feet grew and they no longer fit. I tried and tried, but they never fit again. I gave them to a friend that had always coveted them. She STILL wears them. I bought a new pair in 2000 something, and they didn't last 3 years. Bummed me out.

Posted by: Mindy at April 25, 2012 1:02 PM

Not saying I teared up ... but some might. Doc Marten should use this in their ad!

Posted by: azita at April 25, 2012 7:32 PM

Amen and amen

Posted by: Amanda L. at April 26, 2012 9:42 PM

I've never had a pair of shoes last that long, but I have a shirt that is old enough to vote. I picked up my first girlfriend while wearing that shirt, and I also met my wife while wearing it. You can't tell what it's supposed to say anymore, but putting it on feels like home.

Posted by: Military Dad at May 3, 2012 8:19 PM