April 10, 2012

Egg Rolls

There are lots of fun things that are fun precisely once because of the experience. I can imagine that climbing Mt. Everest, going to a Barry Manilow concert, and participating in a flash mob are good examples. Another is the White House Easter Egg Roll.

Every year the White House holds a lottery, randomly picking around 35,000 people who applied to participate in the Easter Egg Roll. For the first time this year we both applied and won. We went yesterday.

This was for the kids, sure, but we found out pretty quickly that Beth and I were more excited than Mia and Owen. By the time we left the house yesterday morning it was apparent that they'd both woken up on the wrong side of their beds which is strange since both their beds are pushed up against the walls giving them only one option. Anyway, they were wrecked from the Easter festivities preceded by three days worth of vacation.

When we arrived we got in line and it was in lines that we stayed much of the time we were on the White House grounds. Oddly the kids - maniacs earlier in the day - were strangely well-behaved and almost serene. But still, we were in line. A lot. That said - say what you want about this administration - this thing was incredibly well-organized. After finally making it inside the White House gates, we walked around the South Lawn, visited with Chipmunks, Sponge Bob, Smurfs and others, participated in the Egg Roll itself then, at the kids' behest, we left.

The experience was cool for lots of different reasons. It was cool to be next to the White House, great for the kids to have that experience, to take photos they'll be looking at and thinking are awesome in twenty years. But it was one of those things you need to experience only once.

I'm glad we did it. And I'm sure the kids are too. Or will be someday.

Posted by Chris at April 10, 2012 7:38 AM
Comments

Looks like you guys had fun! That will be a great memory for the kids to have.

Posted by: Elizabeth at April 10, 2012 8:06 AM

Oh WOW! I was just reading about how it was Nancy Reagan, of all people, who replaced real eggs with wooden ones you could take home as keepsakes. That might be the sole redeeming act of that administration. Envious of your fun!!!!

Posted by: rebecca at April 10, 2012 11:29 AM

We had fun as well. I secretly suspect it's more about parental bragging rights than kid fun. Lots of looonnnnnnnng lines. The first line (the one to get in) was enough to drive all of us insane because they had a DJ and music so loud and pumping, I kept thinking we had transported back to a nightclub in the 90's (and where did these KIDS come from???).

Also, it's probably not the best place to take a kid with social anxiety, but what the heck? Everybody needs a challenge, amiright? So, if you saw an 11 year old who was crying because he needed a bathroom so badly, a 10 year old hiding behind his mother, and a pouting 7 year old, that was us (wait a minute, that was pretty much everybody).

And, at the end, they all said, "That was SO MUCH fun!!"

Sigh...it's the little things (plus, awesome SWAG).

Posted by: Stella at April 10, 2012 12:19 PM

I have to admit not living on the East Coast, I don't follow this much. After seeing you guys went, I started to look up the stories. Over 30,000 people is astonishing!

Great pictures and glad the family had a great time. That is something special getting to hang out at the White House.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at April 10, 2012 1:40 PM

What fun! I know for sure if I ever lived near Washington DC when my son was young I would have totally signed up!

Posted by: NancyB at April 10, 2012 4:47 PM

What a cool thing!
...and I'll be seeing Barry Manilow TWICE on this tour. I know. You're jealous. But that's OK.

Posted by: Kim at April 11, 2012 8:57 AM

Femmes ralph lauren, l . a . série 2012 au début des vacances de printemps inspirée par le prisme et le tissu réfléchissant, concevoir not fantastic nombre de belles opinions couleur arc en ciel, ainsi que d'un éclat métallique, les rayons du soleil comme une broderie plissée, et d'autres éléments et dentelle en alternance néon-comme le saut au printemps sentir cette série ajoute une douce femme romantique.

ralph lauren, série 2012 début vacances de printemps se révèle être plein d'un fantastic nombre de changement de motifs géométriques, et l . a . gown exactement comme Elvis Presley (Elvis Aron, Presley) à Nevada à travers le justaucorps dentelle qui ont fait cette saison ralph lauren avec not peu années 58 et le goût des années 75. En outre, cette saison, en additionally de l'ingéniosité dans l . a . pregnancy de l . a . gown, l . a . jupe plissée et emblématique gown de crêpe dentelle manches, gown de soirée, any également introduit une variété de jupes crayon, pantalons, chandails et plusieurs autres pratiques not seul produit.

En tant que concepteur ralph lauren dit, ralph lauren série 2012 début des vacances de printemps n'est pas seulement serve les filles de l . a . function des jeunes, des filles et des femmes grows de institution peuvent également être trouvés dans cette saison de leur gown propre charme.

Posted by: Polo Ralph Lauren at April 16, 2012 2:38 AM