April 3, 2012

Symmetry

This is why I'm no fun to play Legos with.

I mentioned this a week or so ago. I like to do some things in a very orderly way because it stops the voices in my head. Not everything. If you looked at my car or my closet you'd wonder where the hell that neat and orderly guy disappeared to. But some things lined up, color coded, symmetrical, just make me feel better.

Like Legos.

What do you do to keep yourself sane?

Posted by Chris at April 3, 2012 7:54 AM
Comments

Coloring with my oldest son helps with this sort of thing. i can stay in the lines and be neat and orderly.

Posted by: Claire at April 3, 2012 8:50 AM

I'm pretty random in a lot of things, with two exceptions:
-- the socks in my sock drawer have to be sorted by color, and all facing the same way
-- the bills in my wallet must all be front facing, never folded, and sequential.

Everything else in my life can be tossed together in a big bucket, but don't mess with my socks or my dollar bills. :)

Posted by: j at April 3, 2012 8:57 AM

Managing my music collection in iTunes and managing my DVD collection in DVD Profiler. There are endless bits of information to add or adjust. Keeps my mind off other things.

I used to play with Legos when my kids were young.

Gardening is helpful too.

Posted by: James Proffitt at April 3, 2012 4:49 PM

I gave up on my own sanity long, long ago. But I am very, very particular about how I fold my towels and face cloth.

Posted by: Heather at April 3, 2012 11:15 PM

Um... I have tendencies toward anything creative to keep me sane... ironically all of those things and the things that go with those things tend to drive my husband insane. :(

Posted by: Jen at April 4, 2012 9:03 AM

I remember you talking about Legos being calming before, and me thinking I should get into that.

I should get into that.

Anything I have organized (CDs, books, movies) is done in alphabetical order. I don't understand how you'd find anything otherwise!

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 4, 2012 9:19 AM