April 13, 2012

The Weeklies #210

The Weekly Affliction. Vacation hangover.

The Weekly Pasta. Penne.

The Weekly Read. Over the past couple of weeks I devoured the five books that make up Hugh Howley's Wool series. I stumbled upon them on Amazon for cheap. And I'll admit that I expected to get what I paid for. But I got so much more. The Wool series is so good. In my mind, it ranks right up there with some of the best science fiction I've read. Reading the series is highly encouraged.

The Weekly Bandwagonesque Move. And now I'm reading Hunger Games.

The Weekly Brief Tangent. I remember buying Teenage Fanclub's album Bandwagonesque at a Waxi Maxis in the late 80s or early 90s. It was the same day I picked up Live's first album Mental Jewelry.

The Weekly Television. I was watching The Colbert Report the other night and found myself howling to the point at which tears began streaming down my face. Frankly there's not much that makes me laugh like that much less someone that I once wrote off as a one-trick pony. Colbert is funny but also a brilliant, smart satirist. Two thumbs up, Colbert Nation.

The Weekly Question. If you'd have won the most recent, gigantic lottery, what's the first thing you'd have done?

Posted by Chris at April 13, 2012 7:46 AM
Comments

Set up trusts, bought a home for my daughter, and another home for me, near my daughter.

Posted by: Maribeth at April 13, 2012 9:09 AM

I, too, recently jumped on the bandwagon I had previously avoided. I do not think you will be disappointed with The Hunger Games trilogy.

As for the lottery, I'd have paid off my house. Not that I really want to stay in it forever - there's a ton of emotional baggage attached that goes all the way back to the builder (never have a friend build you a house, you won't be friends when it's over) but it would at least give me the breathing room to decide. And then the car. I'm just too practical.

Posted by: Meredith at April 13, 2012 9:17 AM

Pay off our house and buy a new family car. That's about it, because I think it would take some time to figure out what to do with your life.

I'm glad I didn't win it. I know that sounds pious or something but really, I didn't play it on purpose. I love my life, why would I want to ruin it? That amount of money is meant for people who want to move away from their house, their friends, and maybe even their family, because the relationships will never be the same.

Posted by: Brad at April 13, 2012 9:50 AM

Yeah, I jumped on that bandwagon a few weeks ago and I think you will like the Hunger Games books. I felt it was well written and I really enjoyed them. I can't wait for my daughter to be a bit older to enjoy them herself!

If I won the lottery...I'd put an addition on our house, buy new cars, by a beach house and put the rest in the bank...live off the interest. I wouldn't want big changes, I like my life. Just wish I had a little extra money for some finer things. But then again, I've been able to live without, so maybe I'm better off. Who knows?

Have a happy weekend!!

Posted by: cyndy at April 13, 2012 9:59 AM

Weekly answer: quit my G-d job and buy a house in the SF Bay Area (where I grew up and would like to live, but currently don't).

Posted by: Brooke at April 13, 2012 11:40 AM

all your commenters are so practical! i for one would live. it. up.

i'm dying to know what you think of the hunger games!

Posted by: kati at April 13, 2012 12:22 PM

I would buy one of all the kinds of cheeses.

Posted by: Procrastamom at April 13, 2012 1:17 PM

I've been watching Colbert lately...what made you laugh so hard? :)

Posted by: Heather at April 13, 2012 3:45 PM

Thanks for the book recommendation. I was looking for something interesting that kept me as intrigued as The Hunger Games. I hope you enjoy that series.

LOVE Colbert. I have a Colbert book bag that makes me smile.

Forget all this practical stuff. I'm quitting my job, chartering a private jet and we're heading to the Seychelles for a long, needed vacation. I'll handle all the practical jazz when I return.

Posted by: Mindy at April 13, 2012 5:03 PM

Yah, Chris, for trying out the pop culture books even though they're pop culture books. I won't say you won't regret it, but what's the harm ? ;)
Lottery: some responsible, grown-up-y stuff; some just plain fun memories made for the family courtesy of only-dreamed-of budget. Balance? I hope so! Guess the universe need to inflict such big decisions on me to know for sure!

Posted by: Vicki at April 13, 2012 8:09 PM

If we won the lottery, my husband says he would not quit his job. I'm not sure I believe this, but anyway he really likes his job a lot.

I would hire a nanny and a cleaning service, rent a workspace near the public library, and write the great American novel.

I don't think we'd change much about the way we live. It's pretty good the way it is. Definitely more travel, and more adventurous locations.

Posted by: Laura Gato at April 14, 2012 10:53 AM

Femmes ralph lauren, l . a . série 2012 au début des vacances de printemps inspirée par le prisme et le tissu réfléchissant, concevoir not fantastic nombre de belles opinions couleur arc en ciel, ainsi que d'un éclat métallique, les rayons du soleil comme une broderie plissée, et d'autres éléments et dentelle en alternance néon-comme le saut au printemps sentir cette série ajoute une douce femme romantique.

ralph lauren, série 2012 début vacances de printemps se révèle être plein d'un fantastic nombre de changement de motifs géométriques, et l . a . gown exactement comme Elvis Presley (Elvis Aron, Presley) à Nevada à travers le justaucorps dentelle qui ont fait cette saison ralph lauren avec not peu années 58 et le goût des années 75. En outre, cette saison, en additionally de l'ingéniosité dans l . a . pregnancy de l . a . gown, l . a . jupe plissée et emblématique gown de crêpe dentelle manches, gown de soirée, any également introduit une variété de jupes crayon, pantalons, chandails et plusieurs autres pratiques not seul produit.

En tant que concepteur ralph lauren dit, ralph lauren série 2012 début des vacances de printemps n'est pas seulement serve les filles de l . a . function des jeunes, des filles et des femmes grows de institution peuvent également être trouvés dans cette saison de leur gown propre charme.

Posted by: Polo Ralph Lauren at April 16, 2012 2:39 AM

Heh, you got Polo Spam! :-)

I enjoyed the Hunger Games for what they are-- a fun read about a horrific theme. Started Wool last night based on your GoodReads recommendation and am really enjoying so far!

Posted by: Leslie at April 17, 2012 2:21 PM