April 9, 2012

What I Did With My Spring Break...And Other Assorted Love Songs

Instead of going fishing as my previous post would indicate, we used the vast majority of our spring break to pack the kids, load the car and head out on a short family vacation. Our destination was three-fold - Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. In three days.

(I'll state here and now for the record that we got back late Friday night and I'm still exhausted. And everyone understands the Chevy Chase Law Of Vacation Exhaustion which states that post-vacation tiredness is directly proportionate to the amount of fun that was had on the aforementioned vacation so long as said vacation wasn't spent fighting off hungry bears, escaping from hordes of zombies or locked up in a Mexican jail cell. Which certainly wasn't the case here.)

Day One: The Jamestown Massacre
Jamestown wasn't exactly a hit. The kids thought it was kinda fun but I suspect their overall opinion wasn't much better than that of cleaning their room. This was probably due, in part, to the fact that we'd spent the better part of the day in a car since Owen was struck early on by motion sickness (one day, once the trauma subsides, I'll share the touching story of the vomit arrow). And the fact that it was about a bazillion degrees (that's 89 on the Fahrenheit scale). We eventually abandoned the colony like Roanoke and checked into our hotel.

Day Two: Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg was a success. The kids donned colonial costumes and were immediately treated like real colonists. It was cool - cold, actually - windy and slightly damp but the kids were into it. It was hard not to be. We ended the day with a carriage ride through town during which the kids waved to everyone and formed a two-person welcoming committee.

Day Three: Busch Gardens
We woke up on Friday with Owen whining about going to Busch Gardens. Even after we'd tried to appropriately describe the miracle in which he was about to partake, he declined. Fortunately for him he didn't have options. We went. He said wow about 832 times. We rode rides from 10:00 in the morning to 7:00 in the evening after which we bundled two very exhausted kids into the backseat and headed for home. We arrived at 10:30. Beth and I collapsed at 11:30.

Now I love my kids with all of my heart but there are times when they are absolutely impossible. Don't get me started on Owen and his phobic aversion to socks which prompted Beth to text me last week I've decided I'm giving Owen to charity. Oddly none of those times occurred during this trip. They were awesome. Angelic even. It was quite simply a fantastic trip. Though, as I've already mentioned, I'm exhausted.

And how did you spend your spring breaks or Easter weekends?

Posted by Chris at April 9, 2012 7:41 AM
Comments

That sounds like a fantastic weekend! We just hung out with my parents and even got in a date night, so it wasn't too shabby.

My little sister had the same kind of sock aversion; so much so that my mom just gave up and she went without socks for years. She still will wear flip-flops unless there's snow on the ground, so it's a good thing she moved to Arizona last year. According to her pediatrician at the time, she has "grey fat" in her feet, which produces a lot of heat and makes it incredibly uncomfortable to be bound up in socks. Who knows if it's true, but it's the excuse she's used for 20+ years now.

Posted by: Jessie at April 9, 2012 8:52 AM

Sounds like fun!
The aversion to socks -- is it because of the seams? Do they still have seams in the toes of socks? My niece was nuts when it came to that.
No love of socks? Try Peds or super shorties.

Posted by: NancyB at April 9, 2012 9:01 AM

Renovations! And visiting my extended family. It was nice. And productive. More work to do today and this week.

Posted by: Heather at April 9, 2012 10:49 AM

Took the kids bowling for the first time. Who knew they made bowling shoes for toddlers? So cute! They loved it. Took them to a buffet for the first time too. We liv ein Vegas- it is practically a birthright. They stuck to pancakes and doughnuts. Hosted the First Annual Neighbor Kid Pre-Easter Egg Hunt in the backyard. Next year I will make sure *every* kid gets a golden egg and maybe invite the adults too....maybe.

Posted by: rebecca at April 9, 2012 11:20 AM

I get the socks thing. I too suffer sockaphobia.
We went to Monkeytown for our spring break. AMerican Indian museum to check out the beaded VW 'Vochol', the Post Pub for beer, Marvin for dinner and hipsters, and the Hirschhorn for Song 1. Check it out, it's awesome. Plus crazy Mom dinner yesterday, which sadly, was just as nuts as ever. Sigh. oh my Mom.

Posted by: Amy at April 9, 2012 12:17 PM

I was also in Williamsburg this weekend. My son fenced at William & Mary on Saturday. Of course, I spent the entire day in a gym at the Student Rec Center, which isn't quite as much fun as Busch Gardens.

Posted by: COD at April 9, 2012 12:19 PM

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!
Me? Meh. Not so much.
My girls were with their dad all day yesterday (10 am till 8 pm), so I worked.
We did an Easter Egg hunt in the house (no garden) this morning and they were so snippy and snarky and snappy with each other that I'd confiscated everything by 11 am. Their dad picked them up at 11.30 and I've been alone again since.
So I've worked all day today, too.
I haven't eaten any chocolate either - I'm too broke to buy any (the eggs hunted this morning were sent by my dad) and no one has given me any. I may have to break out a bottle of dessert wine later on, though, breaking my rule of not drinking alone, because really, this has been a crappy weekend for sure...

Posted by: Kirsty at April 9, 2012 1:49 PM

Don't leave us in suspense about the vomit arrow!

Glad you had an overall good time.

Posted by: Nancy A at April 9, 2012 5:19 PM

We had a lazy weekend. Still recovering from Spring Break and SF. Watched a bunch of movies and hubby made a new french chicken recipe for Easter.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at April 9, 2012 8:43 PM