May 2, 2012

Froggy Bottom

I love the way my kids say stuff, use kid words. You know, the words that sound pretty much like real words but are just a little bit off. Beth and I mourn a little bit each time one of those words is lost to its more accurate, mature counterpart.

My favorite of Mia's was ofange. She couldn't quite bring herself to pronounce orange correctly. The day she got it right we tried our best to talk her into reverting. She'd have none of it.

My favorite of Owen's is smooky. As in, Look! Scooby Doo and Shaggy are about to run into the smooky ghost. The other day he said it correctly. Sadness filled the land.

But all is not lost. When talking about old, long-departed cat Callie - who purred 24 hours a day, seven days a week (seriously) - Mia referred to her as a purring mantis. And after returning from a subway trip to and from Monkeytown, Owen informed me that the train had stopped at the Froggy Bottom metro station.

Me: Froggy Bottom?
Owen: Yep. Froggy Bottom.
Beth: Don't you dare fix that. Let me have it.

froggy%20bottom%202.jpg
Posted by Chris at May 2, 2012 7:40 AM
Comments

Some of my favorites:
helicocker
mowhog (mowhawk)
barbecube sauce
home-tel (hotel)
Here I come or not! (ready or not, here I come)

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 2, 2012 8:19 AM

Imogen is the same with words beginning with sp, her witches cast smells lol , my favourites at the moment though are casserole for swiss roll and prock corntail for prawn cocktail ha ha

Posted by: Emma at May 2, 2012 8:58 AM

I think you should propose to Metro that the stop be officially renamed Froggy Bottom.

Posted by: COD at May 2, 2012 9:09 AM

I second the motion that Metro should update all of its maps. My 10 year old can't say "suffocate". It comes out "succuffocate". There's nothing cute about suffocation, obviously, but her pronunciation still makes me giggle.

Posted by: Kate M at May 2, 2012 9:42 AM

Froggy Bottom Pub used to be my fav. restaurant in Foggy Bottom when I went to school there, kids on the right track :)

Posted by: Heather at May 2, 2012 9:50 AM

I've always thought Foggy Bottom was a cool metro stop name anyway, but now I'll forever think it's even cooler as Froggy Bottom!

Posted by: Heather at May 2, 2012 10:06 AM

Reminds me of when my nephew used to call the state, "New Hamster"

Posted by: Kaz at May 2, 2012 10:26 AM

My daughter used to transpose letters - when something was really hard, it was diccifult, and fishies* were shiffies. Even "grandma" was "maga" for a short (wonderful) while.

But my favorite was that anything that happened in the past, whether a week, a month, or an hour ago, happend lasterday. I miss lasterday.

*Of course, we know that it's just "fish."

Posted by: TeresaLynn at May 2, 2012 10:55 AM

Yes! My husband and I were talking about this exact thing the other day. My oldest also said smooky; he had a think about a "smooky" owl house, which came from who knows where. When my youngest wants us to push him on his tricycle, he says something like "pooshoo", which is super cute. Soon enough though, they fix it and move on and even I forget. Sigh.

Posted by: Claire at May 2, 2012 11:03 AM

I still miss hippo-doh-potamus!

Posted by: rebecca at May 2, 2012 11:10 AM

My kids do this too and it's always a bummer when they grow up and stop doing it. Except for pasghetti and cimanon, which I never could abide. My daughter said soupcase instead of suitcase and
wowie instead of flower. I'm sure there were others, and I'm sure my son has some current things, but nothing is coming to me at the moment.

Posted by: Brooke at May 2, 2012 11:55 AM

The ones that we remember fondly were mazagine (magazine) and Baby Juices (Jesus).

Posted by: leslie at May 2, 2012 12:59 PM

I miss the funny words. My favorites:
Chucky Larms
heliclopter
haul caller (for car hauler)
banilla
bless youing (sneezing)
lubaloo (love you)

Posted by: Carolyn at May 2, 2012 1:25 PM

Oh my. I just mentioned something similar on my blog. My son calls his bunk beds "hunk beds." I will cry when we finally says it right. That and I will tell his high school girlfriends that he use to have "hunk beds."

Posted by: Courtney Tucker at May 2, 2012 2:19 PM

My kids call the fast-food joint "Old Macdonald's" and say "creditor" instead of "predator."

When he was little, my son said "nyucka" instead of "lotion" and nobody ever knew why. I was really sad when that went away.

Posted by: Mommy's Minions at May 2, 2012 2:31 PM

I love the stage where things are wrong. I will be utterly despondent when we have no more cute words left in our household. Lexi started out calling a helicopter a heppo-plopter. Now that's morphed into hopter-copter so I suspect the clock is ticking on that one. Boo-hoo.

Posted by: Carmen at May 2, 2012 4:50 PM

In our house, Hangaber=Hamburger and Home Deepeedo=Home Depot. The kids are grown but we still use those names.

Posted by: LeeAnn at May 2, 2012 7:00 PM

Squirf = squirrel
What today is it?

My birthstone is aqwolverine. I won't ever call it aquamarine.

Posted by: Amanda L. at May 3, 2012 10:21 PM

Hell, I still say things incorrectly. Just ask husband the other day when a Jeep he wanted pulled up next to us.

Me: "So, do you want a wench on the hood like that too?"
Him: "Hell, yeah!"

I guess when it comes to saying "winch" wrong, "wench" is better than "winge" I guess. Those were the two words going through my head at the time.

Posted by: oakley at May 4, 2012 2:54 PM

I've gotta share mine (which come exclusively from Owen - dang Zoe spoke so well so early, she never blessed us with similar gems):
Gully-gully - we don't know what it means, only that it must be repeated over and over in cases of extreme joy
Eye-sinair - "Ice in there", as in put ice in my cup of water, please
Hanitizer - "hand sanitizer"
And, of course, when toileting one does not #2 singularly. One has to "go poops".

Posted by: kate at May 4, 2012 4:00 PM

There are a couple from my oldest son that we still use today:

watu= love you
dadu= thank you

My youngest couldn't make the 'k' sound so kitty would be titty and coach would be toach.
The best one was when he asked where the fut we were going. We still use that one.

Posted by: kali at May 5, 2012 2:10 PM