May 1, 2012

Invisible Houseguests

It's busy this week at the Cactus-Fish house. We have thirteen guests staying with us this week.

Sally's visiting. Along with her eleven children. That woman's a machine. Most notable among her children is Jill who just graduated from medical school. We had a party last night to celebrate. Amazingly, all twelve of them are crammed into our guest room. Frankly, I didn't think it was going to be big enough. Then there's Jack. Jack is 99 years old and sleeps on the pull-out couch in the playroom. Poor guy has to hobble through piles of Legos in the dark just to make it to the bathroom. Thankfully Jack's spry.

Normally having so many visitors in the house would cramp our style...and be a bit tiresome. Lucky for us they're all invisible.

My kids have fantastically active imaginations. Sally's been with Mia for four years. Jack's a new invention of Owen's. They're all awesome.

I don't think I ever had invisible friends. I was an imaginary detective named John Copley for a stretch of time in the late 70s - that has to count for something - but I never had an imaginary friend. Did you?

Posted by Chris at May 1, 2012 8:03 AM
Comments

I've never been the creative type, so even my imaginary friends were just manifestations of my favorite cartoons at the time- Kimba and Speed Racer. I would just pretend that Speed Racer was my husband and Kimba was our pet white lion.

But my brother...ohh, he had an imaginary friend Cobby (wtf?). Cobby had to be tucked in a night and we had to set a place at dinner for Cobby. Cobby was a part of our family for many years. One day we were eating dinner and our back screen door blew open and shut with a loud slam. My brother said "Cobby left"....and he never came back! We were all heartbroken and really missed Cobby.

Posted by: Lisa at May 1, 2012 8:20 AM

Looking at some of the guys I hang out with, sometime it feels like all my friends are imaginary. :)

Posted by: J at May 1, 2012 8:45 AM

I didn't have imaginary friends, but my brother did. He would wake me up to open the window so that Jack could get in.

Posted by: COD at May 1, 2012 8:47 AM

I totally had imaginary friends. My mom loves to tell the story of how I cried hysterically when she accidentally slammed one of them in the car door...

Posted by: leslie at May 1, 2012 8:53 AM

I never had an imaginary friend, I just used my pets. It reminds me of a story my co-worker told me though... her son has an imaginary friend, and not too long ago, he wouldn't go to sleep, because his imaginary friend was left behind at grandma's house earlier in the day. After much coaxing, mom finally gave up and called grandma to tell her the situation, hoping if the boy talked to grandma and was reassured that the friend was fine, fast asleep at grandma's, all would be well. No such luck! Grandma loaded up the imaginary friend in the car and drove across town to bring him home, even lifting him out of the car and gently setting him on the floor when she arrived. And that, my friends, is why it RAWKS to be a grandma :)

Posted by: Julee at May 1, 2012 9:32 AM

I had an imaginary friend named Mrs. Poleski. (Pole-ess-ski) I don't remember much beyond that, though!

Posted by: Heather at May 1, 2012 9:47 AM

Yes. Beetle. He was a skunk. We did all sorts of things together. I don't remember when or why he left, but he and my brother's imaginary friend Jibrey must have gone off someplace.

Posted by: Amy at May 1, 2012 12:16 PM

I do not remember having any imaginary friends, but my son had two: Groak (rhymes with croak) and Gaga. Gaga was Groak's little sister. They don't seem to come around anymore. He'll be 7 in two weeks.

Posted by: Annie at May 1, 2012 6:46 PM

My imaginary friend's name was Sharkey, was a person, not a shark. He had 99 brothers and sisters. I was an only child for four years, he seemed to disappear shortly after my little sister was born. My mom used to make him lunch along with mine, I insisted he HAD to eat. My family still laughs about him, he was around a lot and everyone remembers him. Isabel has had Cashlynn for years too. She is not around as much as my Sharkey was, but she makes regular appearances.

Posted by: stacie at May 1, 2012 8:52 PM

I still do, if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have any friends at all.

Posted by: Jeff A at May 1, 2012 11:21 PM

No, I don't think I did. My daughter has invisible pets. Lots of them. I love it.

Posted by: Brad at May 2, 2012 12:54 PM

Gumballs was my imaginary cat. Can you guess the only thing she ate? My older brother would periodically squish him, but Gumballs was faster than that ! We never had pets, that must be where she came from.

Posted by: Annie at May 2, 2012 2:45 PM