May 9, 2012

My TiVo Needs Your Help

My TiVo is sad. Last night it told me it was only 22% full. And that's not because we flip it on and push play constantly. No, we neglect it...because we don't watch anything. It feels like it's missing something. It also feels ganged up on by Neflix and Hulu which deliver half of what we watch. Here's the low down and dirty on our viewing habits:

- Grey's Anatomy (shut up)
- CSI: Cheers
- The Daily Show
- The Colbert Report
- Community (that's all me)
- No Reservations
- Breaking Bad
- Chopped (though we delete more episodes than we watch)
- Survivor
- Sons of Anarchy (oddly, that's all Beth)
- The Walking Dead

And that's pretty much it. You can see why TiVo is unhappy. And since I'm running out of Breaking Bad and Community, and Walking Dead will be back in, like, 2015, I'm pretty desperate to find the next unturnoffable show.

Help!

Posted by Chris at May 9, 2012 7:17 AM
Comments

Try out Burn Notice. It is a show that still comes on the USA network but the first few seasons are on Netflix. Breaking Bad and Burn Notice are my favorite shows. Enjoy!

Posted by: Winna at May 9, 2012 8:18 AM

Mad Men

Posted by: Heather at May 9, 2012 8:27 AM

Mad Men

Posted by: Heather at May 9, 2012 8:28 AM

Hmm, most series coming to an end now for the season...

Being Human- the first season is on Netflix streaming so you can try it out and see if you like it. The second season just finished.

VEEP on HBO- Julia Louis Dryfus.

Homeland- season 1 available on Netflix

I have a lot of friends watching the BBC show Sherlock

The Killing- Netflix Streaming
Did you ever watch Big Love?

Dexter, True Blood, Weeds- always good to get into

The new Dallas remake is starting up soon
The Newsroom is a new HBO show- Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterson..
How about "Craft Wars"- a reality crafting show??? wtf??

Anger Management with Charlie Sheen?
Political Animals?

This might help http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/summer-tv-premiere-dates-2012_n_1466214.html?page=3

Posted by: Lisa at May 9, 2012 8:45 AM

Netflix streaming:
Lie to Me - great show
Burn Notice - trying it out
White Collar - meh

Netflix discs:
Justified - trying it out
Game of Thrones - trying it out (DARK!)

Other seasons I've watched and loved:
Big Love
True Blood
Six Feet Under
Downton Abbey

Shows on the list to try:
Sherlock
The Wire - man, people love this show

Posted by: Lisa at May 9, 2012 9:17 AM

I can't keep telling you to watch Modern Family, but I'll tell you that it's still our favorite show.

We like Castle because even though the dialogue isn't mind-bending, the stories are really good.

That's about all we have time for anymore. We watch Biggest Loser and Dancing With the Stars and that's about it.

Posted by: Brad at May 9, 2012 10:02 AM

Have you seen Huff or The C Word?
Most common denominator there is Oliver Platt, but they are both intelligent shows with wit, and both on Netflix.

Posted by: Vicki at May 9, 2012 10:05 AM

Deadliest Catch
Mad Men
Modern Family

Posted by: laurs at May 9, 2012 10:29 AM

If Smash were on 24 hours a day, I would quit my job to stay home to watch.

Posted by: Pat at May 9, 2012 11:13 AM

How I Met Your Mother
Two Broke Girls
Mike & Molly
The Big Bang Theory (for the geek in you)
Criminal Minds
The Mentalist
NCIS & NCIS: LA

Those are my "must watch" shows

Posted by: Krush at May 9, 2012 11:33 AM

The Wire was AMAZING.
Big Bang Theory
How I met your mother. Those are my go-to shows.

Posted by: Holly at May 9, 2012 11:38 AM

1. Mad Men
2. The Good Wife
3. Modern Family
4. Big Bang Theory (you need to "get past" the ups and downs of season one)
5. Game of Thrones

Posted by: Mandy at May 9, 2012 12:35 PM

Castle, Big Bang Theory, Rizzoli & Isles, Amazing Race...although it's over for the season. Um...Two Broke Girls was hysterical.

Posted by: Issa at May 9, 2012 1:29 PM

i needed this help, too! don and i have been lamenting that we're "all caught up" on everything lately and we hate being "caught up"! we like being that skit from portlandia where peter and nanc keep saying "i think we can watch just one more episode" :)

isn't walking dead going to be back in october? it better be, because i need some zombies coming after spineless rick and his brainless crew again soon :)

we just got all caught up on the killing. that's a good one, though dreary. i am LOVING this season of mad men, it is brilliantly written, even more so than last before.

Posted by: kati at May 9, 2012 1:38 PM

The Finder. It's quirkier than Bones, and the characters grow as the show's been on.

Posted by: alektra at May 9, 2012 4:11 PM

Castle

Posted by: Nancy A at May 10, 2012 7:11 AM

Almost anything on USA Network:
Suits
Royal Pains
Covert Affairs

Really guilty pleasure with nudity and sexual content:
Shameless on Showtime.

Posted by: Josh at May 10, 2012 7:21 AM

Big Bang Theory
Modern Family
Late Late with Craig Ferguson
Betty White's new show - freakin' hilarious
Jeopardy
Smash
The Practice (my God, I love that cast.)

And I'm totally geeking out over Will and Grace on TNT or whatever cable channel it's being syndicated on.

Posted by: Mindy at May 10, 2012 1:10 PM

Current shows
Game of Thrones (what's wrong with you! Watch this now!)
Up All Night (if you have kids you'll love it)
Modern Family (really good show, my only peeve is that it gets really Full House-y and sappy at the end of every episode but gold until then)
Mad Men
I have watched Sherlock and it is good but the episodes are as long as movies so that makes it hard to get into. It needs an intermission!
Once Upon A Time (kind of cheesy and they all wear the stupidest leather jackets but it is an interesting premise and I've watched all season despite that)
Just started watching Shameless (US) and its really good!
Boardwalk Empire (awesome!)
Children's Hospital (adult swim show, makes fun of every doctor show that ever was)
NTSF:SD:SUV (another adult swim show, this makes fun of CSI and all those shows, not as good as CH but still worth watching, episodes of both are only 10 mins each)
House of Lies
Weeds

Old shows you must watch if you haven't
Six Feet Under
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Arrested Development (if you ignore everything I say please listen to at least this)

Ugh I don't understand why people like the Big Bang Theory, its so laugh track-y and predictable. I don't need to be told when something is funny, if it is, I will notice on my own!

PLEASE DON'T WATCH
Glee
The Real Housewives of Anywhere
Teen Anything
Betty White in Anything other than the Golden Girls
CSI anything
House
Greys Anatomy
Anything about vampires

Posted by: franky at May 10, 2012 2:05 PM

I recommend the Good Wife and then, for lighter fare, Raising Hope, which has made me laugh out loud (and cringe a bit). I do not seem to do that often nowadays watching the usual comedy show.

Posted by: Amy at May 11, 2012 7:20 AM

Scandal

That show is SO GOOD.

We also love The Good Wife.

Posted by: Poppy at May 12, 2012 7:43 PM