May 18, 2012

The Weeklies #214

The Weekly Bold Restaurant Move. I went to a restaurant last week that has an all-bacon menu. Even bacon-flavored beer. For a second I regretted my vegetarian ways but then I realized they had regular beer. I felt better.

The Weekly Beer. I'll pretty much go for anything made by the Devil's Backbone folks. Because how can you not enjoy something with that kind of name?

The Weekly Read. I loved Hugh Howey's Wool series a great deal. I was thrilled to learn that he'd embarked on a prequel series which begins with the just-released First Shift - Legacy. Of course, I bought it and devoured it. It's rare that a prequel - much less a sequel - is as compelling as the book or books it succeeds. But then Howey's a rare talent and was perfectly able to pull it off. It's brilliant.

The Weekly Obscure Observation. Richard Marx - you know, the singer? - has a gigantic head. I saw a picture of him recently and without long hair, the man's got an obscenely large head. I don't know how he doesn't fall over more. Maybe he does.

The Weekly News Item That Shocked The Hell Out Of Me. The headline said it all - Al Gore Has A Girlfriend and I'm thinking how am I just now hearing about this my mind wandering to Gore getting it with a WASP album on the turn table in spite of a loving marriage to PMRC-loving Tipper. Then I kept reading. They're separated. Seriously? I didn't know this. At all. And apparently it happened two years ago.

The Weekly Offer I Can Refuse. Publicists (yes, plural) keep offering me the soundtrack from What To Expect When You're Expecting which is apparently a hilarious adaptation of a pregnancy guidebook. It's got to be brilliant following in the footsteps of so many other hilarious guidebook adaptations like...

The Weekly Loss. Donna Summer. She worked hard for the money.

The Weekly Question. THC was found in Trayvon Martin's system. Evidence shows that George Zimmerman's nose was broken and Martin's knuckles were scraped. Do these factors change the way you think about the case?

Posted by Chris at May 18, 2012 7:27 AM
Comments

RIP Donna Summer!
I do not know enough about the whole Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman event to make a judgement. Guess I'd actually make a good juror.

Posted by: Maribeth at May 18, 2012 9:26 AM

Chris, thanks for the heads up re: the new book-- I too devoured the Wool series and am excited to have a tasty new read for the weekend! :-)

Posted by: leslie at May 18, 2012 9:28 AM

i was going to say, just accept the darn cd, but nah. here's the list:

1. Chiddy Bang: “Happening”
2. The Human League: “Don’t You Want Me”
3. Kinky: “Oye Como Va”
4. NiRé All Dai: “Inside Out”
5. Sleeper Agent: “Get It Daddy”
6. Black Lips: “Modern Art”
7. A1A: “Why Don’t We Get Drunk”
8. Robert Palmer: “Addicted To Love”
9. Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros: “Home”
10. Graffiti6: “Stare Into The Sun”
11. A Fine Frenzy: “Now Is The Start”
12. David Gray: “Forgetting”
13. Elizabeth Banks: “The Hormone Song”

i LOVE that edward sharpe song, though!

and the the evidence reports also say that TM was shot from an "intermediate" distance, which is obviously not "point blank while GZ was under him scared for his life" AND it still doesn't get around the question of whether or not TM felt the need to stand his *own* ground after being chased. so, it will be good that jurors get all the pertinent info (though i still wouldn't trust my life with a florida jury, that's for sure) but it doesn't change how i, myself, think of the case.

Posted by: kati at May 18, 2012 10:20 AM

It doesn't change the way I feel about the case, no. There's plenty of evidence that they are withholding from the public right now, including survaliance cameras of what happened that night. Knowing Martin had THC in his system, though, makes it hard for me to believe that he attacked Zimmerman, but that's only because of my dad who always says, "You never see fights at a weed party unless alcohol is involved." But again, everyone is different and reacts to different substances differently. I think that Zimmerman should go to trial though, regardless, because it's fair. I haven't passed judgement though, if Zimmerman is guilty or innocent because I don't know enough.

Posted by: Kim at May 18, 2012 11:15 AM

Nope- the Trayvon feelings stay the same. Zimmerman went looking for a fight and if an armed man was chasing me on a dark street, I'd fight back because I'd be afraid for my life. Martin committed no offense, meant no harm, was merely walking home from the store. Ironically, Zimmerman's defense is what Martin was doing: defending himself. Difference is Zimmerman had a gun adn was itching to use it. Convict him already.

Posted by: rebecca at May 18, 2012 11:25 AM

Zimmerman was the predator and Trayvon was the prey. When they prey fights back we call it self defense.

And since you brought up the PMRC, I'm reading Dee Snider's new autobiography right now. It's pretty damn interesting, and Twisted Sister is still just a club band in where I'm at in the book.

Posted by: COD at May 18, 2012 12:20 PM

I love bacon. Crispy. In everything? No. Just no. I don't.

I loved Wool. Love and I devoured it. He downloaded Legacy, and I downloaded his first novel, Half Way Home. It's not near as good as Wool, but it is enjoyable. I've gotta get through it so we can Kindle swap and I can read Legacy.

I don't think about that case. At least I try not to. If I were on the jury - I'd be more concerned about the facts. I have a hard time with cases being tried by the media and the viewers.

Posted by: Mindy at May 18, 2012 1:29 PM

Read "Wool" because of your reveiw and enjoyed all of them so I guess I'll go for the prequel. Have enjoyed several of the books on your Good Reads list. Reading "Bad Lands" right now.
If I'm on the jury, Mr. Zimmerman gets found guilty of manslaughter. Refused 911 dispatches directions and from there a bad situation ended in the lose of a life.

Posted by: Bill at May 18, 2012 3:26 PM

If someone started chasing after me I would beat them up too.

Posted by: Poppy at May 19, 2012 3:05 PM

"never see fights at a weed party". I laughed at that one trying to picture it happening.

Posted by: Rex at May 20, 2012 7:26 PM

My husband has instructed me to find out where this all bacon restaurant is. Please share. Thanks!

Posted by: Kris H. at May 21, 2012 9:41 AM

Trayvon was the minor. It changes nothing in my mind. If George hadn't been following this kid, had a gun and got out of the car--none of this would have happened.

George had the power. He was the one with the gun, so he wasn't threatened when he approached Trayvon. That is what really bothers me about this case. This kid was minding his own business, but George thought he was up to no good. I feel Trayvon was bullied, fought back and it cost him his life.

A jury will have to wade through this messy case and decide if George is guilty. I worry he's going to get off. I hate guns, but things like this make me think that we should have one. The one without the gun is at the disadvantage.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at May 22, 2012 2:03 PM