May 17, 2012

Upkeep

Beth and I have owned a home for about eight years now. Our first house was an adorable little town house with a giant magnolia tree out front. We loved that house but when we learned Owen was on the way all the rooms suddenly seemed much, much smaller. We've been in our current house for four years and we're planning to stay for a good long while.

Until now if you'd asked me about the hardships involved in owning a home I'd probably have laughed and said something like hey, if you can't stand replacing the guts of a toilet now and then you should rent. But now I've changed my tune.

Two months ago we had our siding replaced. Two weeks ago we repainted all the trim, replaced rotten wood, and picked a brand new color for the shutters. Then we embarked on a long, arduous journey though the nine circles of landscaping hell which involved pitchforks, wheelbarrows, new outdoor lighting, a ton of grass seed and enough mulch to cover Rhode Island. And all this is in advance of the impending Kitchen Destruction Of 2012 which we're guesstimating will happen in August since we ordered appliances two weeks ago and cabinets yesterday afternoon.

As a result of these improvements I actually physically ache. But it's so absolutely worth it. That said, I've changed my tune. Owning a home is hard work.

Posted by Chris at May 17, 2012 7:11 AM
Comments

Ah the hell of owning a home! We replaced our side porch floor and rails and back deck to the tune of $10,000 in composite material. Labor by husband and employee.
Question - if you have siding on the house why don't you wrap the trim in metal so there's no painting or replacing rotten wood? It comes in many many colors.

Posted by: NancyB at May 17, 2012 9:07 AM

Oh yeah. And when one sprouts a leak with the dishwasher, that goes undetected until it is raining below in the basement, it is even worse. While helping Hubby yesterday, my right knee actually locked!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 17, 2012 9:08 AM

That physical ache is one of the most satisfying, knowing it comes from a hard day's work. Oh and don't forget the best shower in the world after a hot, sweaty day of home improvement!

Posted by: bacioni at May 17, 2012 10:26 AM

omg, can i admit to you my secret plan back in 06 when we first bought our home? it was a brand new never been lived in house and my plan was seriously to keep moving to brand new houses every few years to avoid ever having to do maintenance hahahaha. well then the bottom of the housing market dropped out and we are still in this one, and it's still great but if we ever want to sell it we're going to have to replace carpets and repaint at the very least! if not more extensive stuff. blah ;)

Posted by: kati at May 17, 2012 11:04 AM

Owning a home is hard work, but it's much harder to throw money away renting. At least you get equity in a home.

Posted by: Brooke at May 17, 2012 11:44 AM

We're in a super special place right now of fixing up my grandparents' 100yo house enough that it'll sell but not so much that we have to put in a significant investment! It's brutal, because there is so much potential here, but it hasn't been well maintained, and we can't afford to keep it. (Unless one of my lotto tickets pans out :P )

Posted by: Heather at May 17, 2012 6:55 PM