May 14, 2012

Word...To Your Mother

Let's skip past the biologically obvious fact that without moms we'd all be, well, not so much here. That fact notwithstanding, I'd still argue the fact that moms pretty much make the world go 'round. There are elite teams of men trained to brave the elements and take out enemies that would cringe at what moms have to put up with on a daily basis.

It's obvious that moms past and present have a special place in our consciousness. Yesterday I happened to drive by a cemetery. It was filled with people leaving flowers, standing, heads downward, remembering. I'm assuming that most of the graves visited were moms. Of course, there was also a rather odd looking group of people one of which was shoveling dirt away from a grave which, frankly, is taking the concept of visiting with the dead just a bit too far.

Regardless, all this is a very long-winded way of saying that all you moms rock. Us dads are pretty damn great too if I do say so myself but it's you, moms that do the heaviest of heavy lifting. So, thanks. And a belated Happy Mother's Day.

How did you celebrate Mother's Day?

Posted by Chris at May 14, 2012 8:07 AM
Comments

We celebrated with breakfast out and then they let me clean in peace. That's my idea of a gift right there!

Posted by: Claire at May 14, 2012 9:09 AM

First, breakfast with my kids and my parents. Then watching the kids spray everything in the backyard, including each other, with the hose. Dinner out, then Survivor finale and killer brownies after the kids went to bed. Not a bad day at all.

Posted by: akofaolain at May 14, 2012 9:48 AM

Celebrated with my Mom all day! I'm lucky to still have her around.

Posted by: bacioni at May 14, 2012 10:29 AM

My son worked in the afternoon, so when he got home shortly after 5 we headed out to our favorite local steakhouse. They were closed. My wife wanted country fried steak, and the only other place we could think of that serves a decent country friend steak is Cracker Barrel. So we had Mother's Day dinner at Cracker Barrel, which is fine because I loves me some comfort food and we are not a hipster family, so I don't have to be worried about being seen there.

Posted by: COD at May 14, 2012 11:59 AM

I scrubbed the shower and did laundry.

Posted by: Brooke at May 14, 2012 12:23 PM

Happy belated Mother's Day to Beth!

I didn't have my boys, so Love took me to breakfast at a bar (my suggestion!) as the crowds on Mother's Day always tend to make me anxious. I had a three hour phone call with my own Mom, and then we ran some errands, came home and cooked together (one of my fav things to do), enjoyed drinks and I read while he played with my hair. Which is more relaxing to me than a back rub.

And on Tuesday night - I have both boys back and they are cooking me my favorite summer dinner. Grilled burgers, corn on the cob, and fresh strawberries with homemade whipped cream for dinner.

I feel so loved!