June 6, 2012

Let's Get Physical

For years I've hated the question do you exercise? especially coming from doctors. When I say no, unless you count popping the tops on a few beers exercise, which incidentally, I do they usually look at me funny and tell me all about how it helps avoid stress and death. Then I throw back some facts - I weigh exactly what I should weigh, my cholesterol is a touch high but I have the blood pressure of a ninja, I take no medication for anything other than my slightly anxious brain, and I can run two miles right now if you want me to. But they have to have the last word so they say something like well, you should still try it.

Over the last couple of years I've felt a little too sedentary and I've noticed that the gulf between my energy and that of my kids is widening. I've also watched my hot wife work out nearly every day and see real tangible benefits. A long time ago she became one of those annoying I just don't feel right if I don't exercise everyday people. I finally swallowed the Kool-Aid and gotten my ass (and the rest of me) on the treadmill. For the last few days I've done it pretty consistently and, as much as I hate to admit it, everyone was right. I do feel better. I think I'm calmer. And yesterday afternoon I found myself actually looking forward to it.

I fucking hate it when everyone else is right. But I still maintain that opening beer is an exercise.

What's your workout of choice?

Posted by Chris at June 6, 2012 7:52 AM
Comments

Swimming. A mile 3-4 times a week. I love it. No distractions, no noise (or not much). It is very relaxing.

Posted by: bethanne at June 6, 2012 7:58 AM

I started riding the stationary bike again just before Christmas. Now, I enjoy my rides immensely and miss it when I'm too busy. I try to ride 10-15 miles 4 or 5 days per week. The best thing? I can read while I do it so the number of books I can read in a month has nearly doubled! I don't think I would have kept with it otherwise.

Posted by: Elizabeth at June 6, 2012 8:15 AM

I'm a fan of the treadmill, too. I dread getting on it but ultimately love it when I'm done. Plus - I have this fancy plastic "desk" that attaches to the treadmill. I slap my computer on top and watch DVDs while I walk. (True story.)

And I totally agree -- I fucking hate it when everyone else is right. :o)

Posted by: Emily at June 6, 2012 8:27 AM

I used to really dislike yoga, I didn't want to do it, thought it looked silly, and weird/funny looking, everyone was doing it, blah, blah. Until I actually took a session of yoga at a local gym a few years back, and wow! It distresses like no other exercise and you literally feel like a stretched out rubber band afterwards (in a good way), and anyone can do it! It's not as hard as it looks.

Posted by: Heather at June 6, 2012 8:51 AM

In 2004 we joined a gym but that lasted only until about 2007. Two years ago, I began running (outside) and I am totally in love with it. I run races and whatnot; it way more enjoyable than I ever thought.

Posted by: allstarme at June 6, 2012 9:16 AM

Must be catching...I also decided it was time to get off my butt and start doing something to get my body into shape instead of sitting there complaining about my lack of energy, the flabby arms, the...well, you get the picture.

So, I'm doing a little of everything...pilates (I have a great DVD I follow for beginners), strength training (I can do in the privacy of my own bedroom while watching the morning news) and walking 30 minutes ever other day. I've just started to add some running to the walking and found that it boosted my energy for the day (surprisingly) so I decided to try the Couch to 5K program and see if I can start running a few times a week. We'll see how that goes! My only complaint (besides why the heck should I have to exercise, why is my body fighting me??) is I have to get up earlier in the morning to fit in the fitness...otherwise, it won't get done. Ugh!

Good luck with your program!

Posted by: cyndy at June 6, 2012 9:31 AM

Two years before I turned 40 I got concerned that I'd end up being one of those overweight old women, so I got myself to the gym with a trainer and cardio regime.
Mostly hated it.
In the end, I gained strength and endurance, and decided I needed to do something with it.
I get bored with all forms of exercise, so I decided I would try triathlon.
There are some amazing teams for beginners in NoVA, and beautiful places to swim, bike, and run... Starting with W&OD.
I have found that you gain fitness for each event in the other events, and don't really have to work that hard at any of them. It is definitely not boring.

Posted by: Lisa at June 6, 2012 10:51 AM

The office is one mile from the Metro station, so weather permitting, I walk to and from the train every day. I've also got a weight bench in the basement. Of course, it would be more useful if I actually used it...

Posted by: COD at June 6, 2012 11:25 AM

I've been doing strength training for the past few weeks. Step 1 in my master plan is to put on 10 pounds of lean muscle, which will accelerate Step 2, which is cardio, cardio, cardio to burn off lots of body fat. So far, so good :)

Once I can be super active for more than 10 minutes without wanting to die, I'm going to get back into Kickboxing, and learn raquetball.

Posted by: Katie at June 6, 2012 1:07 PM

elliptical- 12 miles a day/6 days a week

Posted by: Elissa at June 6, 2012 3:39 PM

I've been using the treadmill, stationary bike, and weights for a year now, but got a bicycle about 6 weeks ago and have fallen in love with cycling! I ride 5-10 miles every morning, usually with my husband. I do feel 'not my self' when I have to miss a day.

Posted by: Jaycie at June 6, 2012 5:30 PM

Posted by: Jaycie at June 6, 2012 5:30 PM

I've been using the treadmill, stationary bike, and weights for a year now, but got a bicycle about 6 weeks ago and have fallen in love with cycling! I ride 5-10 miles every morning, usually with my husband. I do feel 'not myself' when I have to miss a day.

Posted by: Jaycie at June 6, 2012 5:31 PM

Love it!!!
When we moved from Las Vegas to Oregon I also became one of those everyday exercisers who I previously thought were crazy. I mountain bike 2x a week and do Baptiste Vinyasa Flow (heated yoga)at least 2x a week (cannot stress enough the awesomeness of yoga and how it makes you feel). And just wait until your hot wife sees the benefits on you, it will all be worth it!!....heehee

Posted by: Lesley Barr at June 6, 2012 7:32 PM