June 14, 2012

Nightmare On Cactus Street

Have you ever had one of those dreams - those terrible, realistic ones - that you wake up from, catch your breath, and suddenly realize to your unbridled relief that it was a dream?

I had one of those last night. It was horrific because it managed to encapsulate everything I have been worried about of late. My kids got lost (if you're a parent, you have that fear...constantly), one of my front teeth got twisted all around and had to be taken out (I keep meaning to make a dentist appointment because it's been...a while), I got fired (work's been good but busy), there were fireworks landing on the roof (fire bad), and we were invaded by a giant flying squid (I have absolutely no clue what that was about).

Then I woke up and I took a breath, looked over at my wife, heard the soft humming of children sleeping and ceiling fans whirring and realized that - oh thank god - none of what had gone through my head was real.

But, hey subconscious, take it easy on me tonight. 'Cos I can't take that shit two nights in a row.

(P.S. I also had a long, strange dream about sailing with the Golden Girls. My mind troubles me sometimes.)

Posted by Chris at June 14, 2012 7:22 AM
Comments

I have the weirdest, most vivid dreams, and have ever since I was a kid. My dad used to caution me not to share for fear of being locked up. With only a rare exception I love my dreams though and actually look forward to them! I have woken up crying on occasion though, and that sucks.

Posted by: Elizabeth at June 14, 2012 8:28 AM

A couple of weeks ago I woke up totally stressed because my QBASIC programming project wasn't done.

QBASIC?

If I'm going to dream about failing at programming it could at least be Python so I could have some respect for myself.

Posted by: COD at June 14, 2012 10:53 AM

I had a dream last night that I had kidnapped a Russian orphan baby who had special needs. I nedver had to show any ID so I thought no one knew who I was, but then two letters in Russian and a bunch of evidence bags showed up at my office and I tried to think of ways to get rid of the baby. It was horrible, and it took quite a while after I was awake to be sure it was just a dream. One probably should not watch "The Talented Mr. Ripley" right before bed.

Posted by: Judy at June 14, 2012 11:39 AM

I hope you have peaceful dreams tonight!

Posted by: Mindy at June 14, 2012 12:49 PM

I've only woken up screaming once from a super realistic dream. I don't ever want to have that again. Ever.

Posted by: Mel at June 18, 2012 6:06 PM