June 20, 2012

Skeeved

skeeve
verb 1. to cause disgust (in someone). 2. +that: to be disgusted by (something) 3. to be creeped out

I'm not skeeved out by much. I suppose being a parent has something to do with that. It's hard to be grossed out after you've been slathered in the unholy trifecta of bodily fluids in a single day. There's really nowhere to go but up from that.

I'm not a huge fan of clowns but they don't really freak me out. I'm okay with snakes and most bugs. I don't eat meat but that's not out of fear. I dislike Carrot Top but not to the point of phobia. The exceptions are Celine Dion, spiders and the bottom of ships.

Spiders are obvious. They're creepy and, when extremely large ones are encountered, I will scream like a little girl. (Okay, I've never actually screamed like a little girl but I have run away like a little girl.) Celine Dion should be equally obvious. She's like a giant, vocally-talented praying mantis. It's the bottom of boat thing that I'll admit is a little strange. Show me a shipwreck, old abandon ships, overturned freighters or a ship scrapyard and I'll look as long as I can but eventually I'll have to look away. It triggers something deeply creepy in me that I don't completely understand.

What creeps you out the most? And do you know why or is it completely irrational?

Posted by Chris at June 20, 2012 7:35 AM
Comments

Ahhhh! I am going scuba diving next month and diving a ship wreck for the first time. I haven't thought about it being scary until now! If you can see the bottom of a ship that pretty much guarantees that something bad has happened so I can understand you being skeeved!

Posted by: Winna at June 20, 2012 9:14 AM

Certain bugs, mostly those with many legs (like house centipedes, UGH). Gnarly toenails. And loose teeth. Seeing a kid play with a loose tooth (or even thinking about it) gives me the heebie jeebies, and it did even when *I* was a kid. If I ever have one of my own, my husband is going to have to be on tooth removal duty.

Posted by: Jaime at June 20, 2012 9:30 AM

Bridges. Large, cloverleaf freeway overpasses. Bridges over water. I *completely* freak out but can drive over them if need be. In fact, driving over them is better than being a passenger. Totally irrational but I'm good with that. Used to be deeply creeped out by the garage as a kid. Still am, a little, late at night when it is dark.

Posted by: rebecca at June 20, 2012 11:32 AM

Skeeve-worthy: Bugs in general, anything in the roach family in particular. Nasty toes/feet (get a pedicure or please don't wear sandals). Singers past their prime who continue to perform (we get a lot of that in Vegas--the billboards announcing whoever is now playing at some out-of-the-way casino). Don't understand it, but there ya go.

Posted by: bacioni at June 20, 2012 11:55 AM

Funny that Celine is on the radio right now as I'm reading and commenting on this post. And it's piped in to the speakers at work. I'm forced to listen to this tripe.

Posted by: Procrastamom at June 20, 2012 1:20 PM

Mimes.

Posted by: COD at June 20, 2012 2:14 PM

Didn't you tell us once that you have a fascination about the Titanic? Perhaps you are a reincarnated passenger and your last memory as you were sinking into the abyss was looking back up at the bottom of the Titanic.

Posted by: Lee at June 20, 2012 7:47 PM

spiders. bedbugs (though i've never seen one in real life, i am TERRIFIED). and oh my god, jaime comment above, at the kids' dentist today, the dentist blindsided me with the news that lola's two bottom teeth are loose and i about lost my lunch. i wasn't ready for that news!

Posted by: kati at June 20, 2012 10:55 PM

Revolving doors.

I have never been stuck in one. I've never had anything negative happen in one.

But upon seeing one, I have a mini anxiety attack until I spot the regular door (and I thank God for the ADA because without it - they wouldn't be required to have one.)

Posted by: Mindy at June 21, 2012 3:12 PM