June 1, 2012

The Weeklies #215

The Weekly Sign That Summer's Here. Swim team season!

The Weekly TV. I think I accidentally got Owen hooked on old-school Buck Rogers episodes. Gil Gerard was the man! (Bet you didn't think you'd hear that sentence today.)

The Weekly Arch Enemy. Air conditioning. Don't get me wrong. I love not living in a third world country, having indoor plumbing and the ability to control the temperature of my house. But for some reason this year the air conditioning is driving me (and my sinuses) nuts.

The Weekly Read. Ed McBain wrote over 50 87th Precinct novels which take place in an entirely fictional city modeled after New York. They were all just recently re-released and I got curious so I picked one up. I've read about three or four with Ten Plus One being the latest. It was astoundingly good. It's not just that they're well plotted or written. McBain is a fantastic writer who can write a hilarious sentence or briefly depart from your standard police procedural to deliver an astonishingly brilliant page about post WWII discrimination against Jews. The most amazing thing is that this particular entry was written in 1963 and, like all McBain's books, it holds up.

The Weekly Music. Old Zeppelin bootlegs from the early and mid 70s. They're a legendary band for a reason.

The Weekly Suck It, Asshats. The FDA ruled this week that high fructose corn syrup could not be called corn sugar. I recommend it be called crap that if consumed separately and in slightly larger quantities would kill you dead. But perhaps I've got a bit of a bias.

The Weekly Challenge. I'm pretty sure the pain involved in reentry is directly proportionate to the amount of fun you had on vacation. That explains why getting back to work on Tuesday was an absolute pain in the ass.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Whilst interviewing Martin Short, Kathie Lee Gifford politely asked after his wife. Unfortunately she's been dead for two years.

The Weekly Question. What's the best thing about summer?

Posted by Chris at June 1, 2012 7:50 AM
Comments

The best thing about summer is baseball.

As an adult, I've never gotten that excited about summer. Maybe it comes from homeschooling our kids, so we never had to plan our vacations around Summer. In fact, we normally plan then for after Labor Day to take advantage of the reduced rates and crowds. Also, I went to high school on a small South Pacific island where it was 87 degrees every day of the year. Our seasons were the rainy season, and dry season.

Posted by: COD at June 1, 2012 8:59 AM

omg....I hear you about the a/c it's killing me this year. I put i a request at work to move me from directly under the vent or I am going to have to wear a winter coat/scarf all summer!!!

Posted by: Niki at June 1, 2012 9:57 AM

I loved Buck Rogers! Except for the one with the terrifying space vampire.

The best thing about summer for me right now is that traffic gets better.

Posted by: Hillary at June 1, 2012 10:18 AM

Flowers blooming and gardens growing...oh, and no school (yes, the teachers are as thrilled about that as the students are) :-)

Posted by: Krush at June 1, 2012 10:48 AM

Love Ed McBain/Evan Hunter

Posted by: Marie at June 1, 2012 11:14 AM

Buck Rogers was all about the awesomeness of Erin Grey. Hubba hubba.

Posted by: Travis at June 1, 2012 11:32 AM

This is the best thing about THIS summer (so far): "The FDA ruled this week that high fructose corn syrup could not be called corn sugar."

On other fronts, AC would rank high on my list of summer favorites (lookin' at a high of 103 today). Yeck.

Posted by: bacioni at June 1, 2012 11:42 AM

Do I have to pick just one thing? If so, I love fireflies. I didn't even think we had them here in N. Florida but right around dusk, they come out of the trees around my house and they're wonderful.

Posted by: claire at June 1, 2012 1:03 PM

Buck Rogers was an awesome show! One of my favorites growing up. Jack Palance as the crazy desert cult leader and Julie Newmar as the "War Witch" were my two favorite episodes...

Posted by: Drew at June 1, 2012 2:26 PM

I am NOT a fan of AC - every year messes with my sinuses - check the filter .. sometimes that can be the issue.

Best thing about summer.. Long days, sunshine and the kids out of school!!

Posted by: Molly at June 2, 2012 9:30 AM

Chris, if you're just starting reading Ed McBain, you're in for a huge treat! I recommend his Downtown most highly -- engaging & well-written, like most of his stuff, but also hilarious.

Posted by: janice at June 2, 2012 8:55 PM

Three things:

1. I hope the fact that it's swim team season again means we're in for an update on Mia's swimming abilities. Your post last year or the year before about her first race when all the kids/coaches/parents cheered her on (I think it was her first race) made me tear up. Go, Mia!

2. My dad read a bunch (f not all) of McBain's books in the late 80s/early 90s and loved them. If I were into that genre I'd be all over them.

3. Best thing about summer is that it's light outside when I get on the train in the morning and light out when I get home at night.

Posted by: erin at June 3, 2012 10:47 AM