June 12, 2012

Vocabulary

I had a good day yesterday. I celebrated by spending the evening with my favorite little people since Beth had a rehearsal and Mia was just getting over a massive ear infection and needed another good night's sleep. We played a little Star Wars Wii (though I quickly changed my mind about the long term viability of everyone playing when no one would follow instructions), read a couple of books aloud then I got pinned down by aforementioned little people and tickled.

Me: Did you have a good day today?
Mia: Yep. Did you?
Me: You know, I did. I was really busy but it was a good day.
Mia: That deserves some congratulations. Mazel-toes!
Owen: Mazel-toes!!
Me: Ha! Mazel-toes. What are those.
Owen: Mazel-toes!!
Mia: They're kind of like Mazel-fingers.

There are some mistakes your kids make that you correct. There are others you hold on to for a while, clearly at their expense. This was the latter.

Posted by Chris at June 12, 2012 7:10 AM
Comments

My daughter used to call it "brefkist." I didn't correct her for a couple of years.

Posted by: Alison at June 12, 2012 8:24 AM

when i was little, and my sister was littler, she used to say "butcept" instead of "except" and it used to make me crazy. i took a pencil and wrote "butcept" (crossed out with EXCEPT written under it) on my bedroom door and my parents were so mad at me for writing on my door. and i'm sure they thought it was cute that my sister was saying it.
now i'm on the other side because my youngest says such cute "mistakes" and my oldest can't stand it :)

Posted by: kati at June 12, 2012 10:02 AM

That is too cute. The one that I held on to for as long as I could was my kidlet calling her bathing suit a 'bakin suit'.. It was so appropriate seeing as we lived in FL. One always bakes when on the beach for any length of time there. :)

Posted by: Jen at June 12, 2012 11:27 AM

that's hilarious & adorable! my #3 used to say "forkhead" instead of forehead - we still say it from time to time. and my #4 still on occasion calls it "breaktest" instead of breakfast. I just love little-people-isms! hehe

Posted by: Kris at June 12, 2012 12:25 PM

My 9 year old still confuses guinea pig and the term piggy back and asks for guinea back rides.
I will be so sad when she finally gets it right.

Posted by: Fauve at June 12, 2012 1:36 PM

My youngest says "smushmash" instead of mustache.. and I love it. She also has a problem with the word gigantic. It comes out more like guy-jantic.

Posted by: Kim at June 13, 2012 9:03 AM

My son used to say "When are we going to eat? I'm STARTING to death!" Twenty-five years later, we still say that in our family.

Posted by: jw at June 14, 2012 10:04 PM