July 30, 2012

Carrying A Torch

I am an absolute sucker for the Olympics. Without shame I will watch every event, root for every underdog and absorb every cheesy human interest story for two solid weeks. In our house, these two weeks are a time during which the TV stays on (seriously, that never happens), children are actively encouraged to watch and the finer points of well known and not so well known sports are discussed. (And when we don't know the answers, we turn to Wikipedia or make them up.) If you'd eavesdropped yesterday you would have heard shouts of Go USA!, hurry up whoever you are in lane five or I'm voting for those guys wearing blue so go blue guys!.

In short, I think the Olympics are a hundred shades of awesome. I wait for them for years, mourn the closing ceremonies, and cherish the memories of me and my family pulling for kids who have identified, worked hard for, and sometimes accomplished their dreams.

Are you as obsessed as I am? Tell me I'm not the only one.

Posted by Chris at July 30, 2012 7:41 AM
Comments

You are not alone...I'm obsessed by Olympics, Summer and Winter. On my bucket list...go to an Olympics. Any Olympics, any event. Just go!

Posted by: cyndy at July 30, 2012 9:00 AM

We love the Olympics! We watched handball for the first time ever, and we can't get enough swimming, soccer, rowing, or gymnastics. The skill and athletic ability is amazing. And we're learning about "countries" we've never heard of - Tuvula, Gabon...

Posted by: Carolyn at July 30, 2012 9:23 AM

I lived in Atlanta during the 96 Olympics. Living through one will cure you of your affliction :)

I am watching. I'm a cheap bastard that won't pay $100 for cable, and our super cheap DISH plan doesn't get me access to the live streaming online. So I spent $10 a set up a VPN to London so we can watch the BBC coverage live. I did it mostly for the kids, as they both compete in Olympic sports that won't get much TV airtime in NBC. I did watch some fencing on both Saturday and Sunday morning (from BBC - not televised here) and my daughter has been watching lots of equestrian.

Posted by: COD at July 30, 2012 9:27 AM

Nope, you're not alone. We are all up in it. Recording it for 9 hours so we can move past the janky commercials though. We're even going to watch trampoline and we can't wait to see Taekwando. I think it's on at 4a.m. This year is the first time my kids are really getting it and they love it.

Posted by: Amanda L at July 30, 2012 9:41 AM

You are definitely not alone. We love them, and I don't think the TV turned off unless it was bedtime (and usually well past bedtime) all weekend. I'm feeling withdrawal already this morning. It's so much fun and so amazing to see what these athletes can accomplish!

Posted by: Jessie at July 30, 2012 9:58 AM

Sadly, yes I am! I love them, all of them, and I will despair when they are done.

Posted by: Maribeth at July 30, 2012 10:09 AM

Yes I am. I love all the water events (what IS up with synchonized diving? That's CRAZY) and pretty much everything except men's basketball.
Matter of fact, for some reason I thought of your family (especially Mia) during the women's swimming yesterday. Yippee for the Olympics!!

Posted by: ames at July 30, 2012 12:07 PM

We are obsessed. The boys, 9 and 14, are not. Not at all, in fact. Sigh. You try to raise them right . . .

I wish we had a schedule of what will show when on which channel. We really wanted to see archery - but only managed to catch the womens' (which was awesome - we wanted to see both.)

However. Those Opening Ceremonies left me very disappointed.

Posted by: Mindy at July 30, 2012 12:57 PM

I am totally hooked, as I am every time. Unfortunately, no cable, so I can only see NBC and I cannot get live streaming on my iPad. So I'm stuck with only the big sports, many of which I love. But I also wish I could see the obscure sports.

Posted by: Liz at July 30, 2012 1:25 PM

I'm streaming it right now at work from nbcolympics.com. I too am an avid Oplympic watcher, and I don't care what the sport is. I'm sure if there really was an underwater basket weaving I would be watching it late into the night just to see who the best is.

Posted by: Rex at July 30, 2012 4:18 PM

I like to watch too! I thought of Mia when they showed the swimmers.

Posted by: Niki at July 30, 2012 4:25 PM

Right there with you! Am in awe of the athletes and obsessed with it all. iPad came to work today, and will for the next 2 weeks, streaming coverage all day - love it!

Posted by: Kathryn at July 30, 2012 10:38 PM

I always have a TV on somewhere in the house during the Olympics.

Posted by: Kim K at July 31, 2012 8:32 AM

I made an effort to catch women's skeet shooting; if that doesn't show that I am a total dork about the Olympics, nothing will.

Posted by: MamaKaren at July 31, 2012 9:45 AM

(talk to Keegan about Fresh Direct food order stuff), music and speakers, etc, labels, goody bag

Posted by: Cindy at July 31, 2012 11:00 AM

Posted by: Cindy at July 31, 2012 11:00 AM

Same in our house. My son is 8 and we are enjoying watching the games together. We can even get mom to watch with us. Great family time!

Posted by: Jeff at July 31, 2012 11:14 AM

You are not alone, I love them too!

Posted by: linda at July 31, 2012 12:19 PM

I'm also obsessed with the Olympics whereas I rarely watch any other sporting events. I'm so into it that I've detached from all social and news input, including blog reading, so I don't get spoiled on results. I happened to take a peek at your blog as an exception.

Also, when my kids were little, I made them watch too. They used to call them "the limp-licks", so that's what we refer to them in our house to this day!

Posted by: James Proffitt at August 2, 2012 1:30 PM