July 27, 2012

The Weeklies #222

The Weekly Number. 222.

The Weekly Relocation. Same job, new office. I moved into a new office building this week. It's three miles from my house. I can almost see my house from my office. Almost.

The Weekly Read. Pocket 47 by Jude Hardin was a great find. All-in-all it's a pretty typical murder mystery with pretty stereotypical bad people being hunted by a pretty typical PI with the typical troubled past from which he's running. But the writing was really good and the execution was superb. You also don't see many rock musicians-turned-private investigators all that often. Is it worth reading? Right after I was done with it, I downloaded Hardin's second book. So, yeah.

The Weekly Television Addiction. Breaking Bad is back!

The Weekly Anti-Gay Asshats. If you've ever been in a Chick-Fil-A, you know it's a wonderfully run business with great, well-trained staff. But they hate gay people. Also, the Boy Scouts, who need to work on their tolerance badge.

The Weekly Loss. Sherman Hemsley - George Jefferson - and Sally Ride - the first woman in space - died. I'm disproportionately saddened by these losses and I hope they both continue to be remembered for the pioneers they were.

The Weekly Question. Were the sanctions and penalties against Penn State too harsh, just right or not enough?

Posted by Chris at July 27, 2012 7:02 AM
Comments

Way too harsh considering everyone who had anything to do with the situation is no longer working for the school. I'm always sad when punishments are levidied on schools/sports teams long after the offenders have left/graduated.

Posted by: Maggie at July 27, 2012 8:20 AM

Not harsh enough!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at July 27, 2012 8:57 AM

$60 million @ $12 million a year, for five years, is laughable and if nothing else a slap in the face to the victims and their families. It's just another case of unconscionable behavior being swept under the rug by money.

I hold no ill will towards the players on the team but, as far as administration goes, there is not enough punishment.

Posted by: JJ at July 27, 2012 9:22 AM

I'm not sure if the punishment was enough but I don't know what would be enough without unnecessarily punishing the student-athletes that weren't around for any of the despicable behavior and cover-up. I worked in a Division I football program and soccer program in college over 20 years ago and the hero-worship culture was present even then. I had a personal encounter with a coach from an opposing school that while not illegal or improper, was very embarrassing and illustrated how "big" some of these folks think they are.

Posted by: Sue R at July 27, 2012 10:10 AM

I don't think they could ever do "enough" to make up for what happened. But as far as the law goes, I guess it's the best we can hope for. What makes me sick is all the whining over how "unfair" it is. People get really stupid when it comes to sports.

Posted by: Fraulein N at July 27, 2012 11:08 AM

Congrats on the shorter commute! That's bound to make your days nicer - no more I-95 traffic going north with the masses into Monkeytown and home again each night.

As for Penn State, despite the fact that this seems like shutting the barn door after the cows are gone, all these sanctions and financial penalties will have far-reaching impact. It's going to take them at least a decade to recover from this fiasco, and people will be watching them like a hawk for quite some time thereafter.

Posted by: Donna Young at July 27, 2012 11:14 AM

I'm not sure there is a just enough punishment for what that university covered up for so long. I don't like to see the current students and athletes being punished, but that ingrained culture of Football is Everything needs to change for sure. I live in PA and I am DISGUSTED by the huge number of people who are outraged by this. Still defending Paterno! They can't see how his evils far outweigh the money he donated and the wins he used to have. As my husband always says "two national championships in 40 years? That's not impressive". People need to wake up and see him for what he was: NOT the sweet grandpa, but a lying, manipulative, conniving, greedy bastard. Curly, Shultz, Spanier and McQuery and PA GOvernor TOm Corbett all need to be punished for their roles in allowing Sandusky to continue his reign of terror and abuse.

Posted by: Lisa at July 27, 2012 12:04 PM

very happy to hear about your move closer to home!

Posted by: Heather at July 27, 2012 12:04 PM

Does the new office mean a shorter commute for you? I hope so!

Posted by: bacioni at July 27, 2012 2:32 PM

3 miles from your house? You could ride your bike! (Well, maybe. I don't really know your area.) That is awesome.

As to your weekly question - I don't know. How is that for a non-commital answer? On one hand, too much. Current and future students will suffer - as well as staff that had nothing to do with this, and no knowledge of it. On the other, decades of sexual abuse and rape of children and the university, it's officials, etc., knew about it and hid it and protected their own and themselves. Nothing will ever be enough.

Posted by: Mindy at July 27, 2012 4:57 PM

Congrats on the shorter commute to work! Though, just because it's closer, does it really cut down on the travel time? (Sometimes, it takes nearly as long to go a geographically shorter route!)

As for Penn State, well, while it hardly seems fair to punish the current players and coaches, SOMEthing must be done. The school MUST be impacted in some way for the cover-up. Let's face it: NOTHING will ever "fix" things for the victims. They will ALWAYS have their experience that they will have to carry with them. It is not something I wish on anyone. THAT is not fair.

When you compare the Penn State fiasco and sanctions/penalties with what was handed down to Ohio State for players accepting gifts and money and the subsequent cover-up by Tressel and the school, well, then NO, things against Penn State weren't tough enough.

Maybe it's because I'm a mother of a young son, or because I teach 6-, 7-, and 8-year-olds... but once a child's innocence is TAKEN from them, it cannot be given back. Just my opinion...

Posted by: ironic1 at July 28, 2012 3:48 PM

Congrats on the work move (assuming this is a much better commute for you). I would love to shorten my commute.

The Penn State thing makes me so angry. I don't think the penalties were harsh enough. I think everyone involved and the school's football program need very harsh penalties. George Will said big money football and higher education don't mix, and for once, I appear to agree with George Will. Go figure.

I visited Penn State in January to take a weekend course and arrived a day after Joe Paterno's memorial service. The god-like adoration being applied to him even in light of the scandal was creepy. The hotel employee who drove the airport shuttle went on and on about how wonderful Paterno had been to the school and I couldn't believe the level of denial.

Posted by: Tracy at July 29, 2012 11:51 AM

I live near Phila. I thought the whole statue-thing was unwise. It is just making JoePa into a bigger martyr for those who adore him. Put his statue in some corner and let people worship him. I wish, instead of the pro and anti conversations about JoePa there could have been reasoned agreement - an acknowledgement that no one is a saint and that good (or great) people can make horrible, destructive choices.
This would have been a better outcome, IMO, for everyone, and allowed a dialogue rather than the martyring of JoePa and the continuing victiminzation of the real victims in this story.
In all other ways, the penalties should have been only the beginning - the administration should be charged and tried.

Posted by: That Girl at July 29, 2012 10:32 PM

As someone who was sexually abused as a child and who is currently a HUGE football fan, I would, given the option, end all of football ever to keep one child from having to deal with the lifelong problems that can come from abuse. A lot of teens who commit suicides were abused as little kids. A lot of adults who commit suicide were abused as minors.

Penn State Fans, get your heads out of your collective asses.

Posted by: alektra at July 30, 2012 7:49 AM