August 2, 2012

Obscurity

I didn't have a lot of phone calls or meetings at the office yesterday. I did have a lot to catch up on so I popped in my earbuds and set the iPhone on shuffle. Here's what it came up with.

Cheap Trick - Times of Our Lives
Genesis - She Is Beautiful (late 60's demo)
Genesis - Carpet Crawlers (Live: Liverpool - 1975)
Dream Theater - Forsaken
Kaipa - The Seven Oceans of Our Mind
Peter Gabriel - Blood Of Eden
Spock's Beard - A Guy Named Sid
North Atlantic Oscillation - Chirality
Karmakanic - Who's The Boss In the Factory?
Genesis - Horizons (Live: Toronto 1973)
Yellow Matter Custard (Beatles supergroup cover band) - It Won't Be Long
Peter Gabriel - Biko
Spock's Beard - Kamikaze
Fountains Of Wayne - Cemetery Guns
The Beatles - Think For Yourself
Robert Plant & The Band Of Joy - Angel Dance (live at the Bowery, NYC)
Agents Of Mercy - We Have Been Freed
Peter Gabriel - Steam
Elbow - An Audience With The Pope
Neal Morse - Author Of Confusion
Elbow - Grounds For Divorce
Led Zeppelin - Dancing Days (Live In Southampton 1973)
The Flower Kings - Numbers
Cheap Trick - This Time Around
Pearl Jam - Severed Hand
Porcupine Tree - Cheating The Polygraph
Dream Theater - Prophets of War
Foo Fighters - Aurora
Snow Patrol - Please Just Take These Photos From My Hands
The Tangent - Company Car
Airbag - All Rights Removed
I am guessing that the vast majority of you have never heard of 85% of these bands. By mainstream standards, my iPhone's music selection is uncool. But I dig it.

What are you listening to these days?

Posted by Chris at August 2, 2012 7:26 AM
Comments

Actually, I know about 75% of the bands.

My most recent purchase is Bonnie Bishop - Free. Actually, I helped fund the album on Kickstarter.

Also Drivin N Cryin - Songs From The Laundromat. They are doing something interesting and releasing an EP every 90 days for the next year. They also played The Iota two weekends ago - it was awesome.

Posted by: COD at August 2, 2012 8:50 AM

"Carpet Crawlers". Given that I grew up mostly only listening to the radio cuts of albums (until college), I remember being blown away by this song when my husband introduced me to it. Listening to it now takes me WAY back. Funny how that works.

Posted by: Rainbow Motel at August 2, 2012 11:10 AM

Posted by: Rainbow Motel at August 2, 2012 11:10 AM

Flickerstick's "Welcoming Home the Astronauts"
Sister Hazel's "Fortress"
Face to Face - "Laugh Now, Laugh Later"
Iron Maiden - "Powerslave"
Hammock's "Chasing After Shadows...Living With the Ghosts"

Posted by: JJ at August 2, 2012 1:32 PM

I know most of those... I'm a 54 year old grandmother... what does that say?

Posted by: Julee at August 2, 2012 3:06 PM

"And she's a model!" Can't resist making fun of that song. There are so many Genesis songs, they pop up a lot on my iPod too.

Last year, I challenged myself to complete a full shuffle on my iPod without skipping any songs. It took me five months. I realized most my music is from the early 90s or older. I need some new stuff.

My husband and I are going to see Peter Gabriel at the Patriot Center. Are you going?

Posted by: Tracy at August 3, 2012 12:56 AM

The boyfriend made me a mixed CD with 21 different songs on it. I don't know most of the bands or song names (I'm terrible with them.) But it ranges from Theory of a Deadman's the Bitch Came back, to Katy Perry's Firework to Colbie Caillat's Bubbly to um... a bunch of heavier bands (that you'll laugh at me for calling heavy) that I don't know but are freaking amazing and help me get through work. Probably things like Five Finger Death Punch, Shinedown, Stone Sour, etc. It helps me get through the day.

Posted by: Kim at August 3, 2012 7:10 AM