August 28, 2012

Reunion

Next month is my 20th high school reunion. I could absolutely not care less. I feel slightly guilty about this but I'm not sure why. I guess I don't really see the point.

I had a good time in high school. I was an average student because I was reasonably bored, except for math which just actively pissed me off. I was middle-of-the-road in the popularity department. I hung out with the smokers and stoners and math geeks and musicians, dated cheerleaders, and was the editor of the school newspaper for three years. But as good a time as I had, I have no reason to look back.

High school has become a synonym for drama. I've got kids. I've got enough drama. I also don't feel like I remember enough about high school. I looked at the relatively small list of names of classmates who'd already bought tickets to the reunion. I remembered few. It's probably this apathy I feel that's keeping that list small. There were over 400 people in my graduating class. About 30 are attending. Worse, everyone who commented on the reunion site either sounded 90 or 15. It was kids these days or let's get trashed!.

I'm not trashing high school reunions. My parents are from small town Ohio. They went to the high school, not one of a hundred suburban high schools. For them getting together every ten years is like bringing back the whole town, catching up on each other's lives and sharing memories of the community. I can see the value in that. I'll be honest though - I don't really see a point in going to mine.

Have you attended any high school reunions? If so, how were they? If not, why?

Posted by Chris at August 28, 2012 7:26 AM
Comments

HELL, no. And thank you, Facebook so I can show that I was that nerdy chick who turned out awesome and hot without having to go back to people I can't stand. :D

Posted by: alektra at August 28, 2012 7:53 AM

Nope, haven't gone to one of them, and I've got my 30th coming up in a couple years. I have a core group of friends that have stood by me since I was in grade school, and never felt the need to go make nice with people who either ignored or tormented me when I was a teenager. Especially not for $50 a plate. :)

Posted by: j at August 28, 2012 8:39 AM

I haven't, nor will I. I was one of the 'bullied' kids in high school, and it took me most of college to get over that. The folks I want in my life are there. And I don't need to drive hours, and pay money to be reminded of times I'd rather forget.

Posted by: Kellie at August 28, 2012 8:46 AM

I went to high school (the final two years) on a small South Pacific island with 26 people in my graduating class. I've never made it to one of the semi-official "classes of 75 to 85" types of reunions that happen every few years. However, a high school buddy that now lives in VA Beach throws an unofficial reunion party every year, where we spend the entire weekend doing what we did in high school, drinking on the beach. I try to make sure I'm free the weekend of that "reunion."

Posted by: COD at August 28, 2012 9:06 AM

My 10 year reunion is coming up in October, and I'm planning to go. I graduated with 56 kids -- the same 56 kids (give or take a few) that I'd gone to school with since 2nd grade. Most everyone is on Facebook, but a few people aren't, and while I'm definitely not a joiner, I do think it'd be fun to get together to share some hugs and laughs. Our reunions are a two-night ordeal - a meet and greet at Homecoming followed by a Saturday night out. I'll likely skip the night out; I want to see these people, but not THAT bad!

Posted by: Emily at August 28, 2012 9:39 AM

I wasn't interested in my high school reunions either. But whatever you do, unless you went to the same school together, DO NOT go to your spouses reunion! Trust the voice of experience on this one.

Posted by: sherri at August 28, 2012 9:51 AM

Posted by: sherri at August 28, 2012 9:51 AM

I haven't, and never really wanted to - until lately. I wanted to go to my 35th but couldn't make it. I wanted to go to an all-class 70's reunion last Labor Day weekend, but couldn't make it. Why do I want to go now when I didn't before? Once you get to a certain age, you decide that all that bad stuff from HS really isn't all that important anymore in the grand scheme of things, so you let it go. You start to miss seeing and hearing about people you haven't seen or been in contact with for years. Or at least that's how I feel. There's an all-school reunion coming up next summer. I live back home now, so I am hopeful that nothing happens this time to keep me away.

Posted by: Julee at August 28, 2012 9:53 AM

//DO NOT go to your spouses reunion//

You have to share that story Sherri, it sounds like it is a good one ;)

I think it would be hilarious to go to my wife's high school reunions. It never happened because she didn't have any interest in going.

Posted by: COD at August 28, 2012 10:05 AM

I went to my 10-year reunion. Out of 600, about 75 showed up. It sucked, and I won't be going again. I'm still friends with the people I hung out with in high school and that's rare and awesome enough that I don't need anything else.

Posted by: Brad at August 28, 2012 10:27 AM

I just went to my 35th last summer. It was so strange! I was nervous, as I wasn't one of the popular girls, or one of the girls that was pretty back then.
Time is a great equalizer!
I looked pretty good comparatively, and shock of all shocks, people told me that back then I was one of the nice girls.
Perhaps that is what really mattered.

Posted by: Maribeth at August 28, 2012 10:41 AM

I still hang out with the people from high school I loved the most. I've been to the 10, 15 and 20 yr reunions to meet up with the people I haven't seen in that long who moved away. I skipped the 25th (as did most everyone else) because most of us at the 20th said it could be a good 10 years before we needed to do it again!

We have a guy from one of the older classes from my high school who, with the help of facebook, has put on impromptu reunions of classes from 79 to 89 - you can meet up at a local watering hole twice a year and you never know who you might run into there...I enjoy that more. I get to see some friends from other classes that way. In the 4 years he's been organizing this, I've been to one. I'll probably go again this year, only because I know some people I haven't seen in a long time are coming in for Thanksgiving and the event is that weekend.

Posted by: cyndy at August 28, 2012 10:45 AM

High school was too much drama for me. I don't have any interest in the reunions, mostly because the names of the people going don't ring many bells. I think I would be interested in meeting up for a nice evening with a select few.

Posted by: bacioni at August 28, 2012 11:07 AM

Hated high school...I was the quiet, geeky girl. I was "convinced" to go to my 10-year reunion by a friend who forgot to show up. However, I loved it. See, this quiet, geeky girl had blossomed in college and by my 10-year reunion I had a modeling contract and was working on my MA. When I walked into the reunion, my date let me walk in first. Several of my guy friends were overheard saying "I wonder who married her"(btw, my black dress was form-fitting and had a completely lace back--down to my waist)it was great to turn around and call them by name. They recognized my voice, but otherwise had no clue. :-) I have gone back for every one and now consider people my friends who would not talk to me in high school. It's actually fun to get past the drama and make new friends.

Posted by: Krush at August 28, 2012 11:36 AM

My 35th is in a couple of weeks. I was never popular or cool, but I still enjoy going. My wife goes with me. I've been to hers and it was a blast. She grew up in a small town and they have a reunion every 3 years for anyone who ever went to that high school. I had more fun at hers than mine actually! I always find them interesting to see the different paths that lives have taken.

Posted by: James Proffitt at August 28, 2012 11:57 AM

Once and done. The 20th I think. Never again. That's what Facebook is for, right? I didn't much care for a lot of those people then, and I can see what they're up to now (Not too much, and nothing interesting) Nope, I'll keep my $50 for the bad DJ and rubber chicken dinner and do something fun. With people I like.

Posted by: Ames at August 28, 2012 12:10 PM

I lived out of state until my 20th and so when I moved back I helped organize it (so I could be nosey and know who was coming). I told the "pain in the ass to me in HS male frenemy" what an a-hole he was to me and my sister for 4 years. That didn't go over well. But we got over it.
Helped with the 25th and 30th. Each year they got smaller (under 100 from a class of 300) but the last was the best as it was in the summer (usually held TDay weekend), outdoor cocktails, a DJ and everyone was dancing and we went to the local bar afterwards. Oh - did I mention, Husbands stayed home!
I'm hanging it up for the 35th though - let someone else organize it and maybe I'll show up.

Posted by: NancyB at August 28, 2012 1:01 PM

My 10th high school anniversary passed without any kind of reunion or fanfare, and I really didn't care :P I had a very small graduating class, and the few people who do still want to talk to one another - do!

Posted by: Heather at August 28, 2012 1:26 PM

so interesting to see the range of emotions about this in the comments! i think it actually sounds a little sour of you to be so anti. i grew up in a small town, graduated with 100, was middle of the road popular and had a blast catching up (and found the humor in all of it - from the dated "fancy" dinner that everyone couldn't wait to ditch for the bars to the hick factor and on and on. it was FUN). i also went to my husband's 10 year reunion, which was organized by his high school love (um, yeah). it was even more fun than mine! he graduated from a big school but his class was so fun. his old girlfriend did a great job and she and i are cool.
if nothing else, it's got to beat midgets in a bathroom, right?? just go, it will be fun :)

Posted by: kati at August 28, 2012 7:37 PM

I went to my 10 years with my group of friends who flew in from out of town. I went with an open mind and decided that I'd even make friends with folks I didn't know before. (I transferred in junior year from Thailand to a very tight knit, very white, very pricey Catholic school, so that makes it especially tough.)

Half a dozen "new friends" and about the same of awkward attempt at reconnecting later, I was back hiding in the same group of friends then danced like nobody's watching (because they weren't) with my prom date. We all decided that for 20th in 2015, the out of towners will fly into town the same time and we'll just hang out on our own. LOL

Posted by: oakley at August 28, 2012 8:01 PM

I was on the committee for my tenth. I loved high school. It's my 20th this year too, but I don't want to plan it again. So far no one has stepped up to do it so it probably won't happen. Everyone I want to meet up with is a Facebook friend anyway, so it's not like there's a lot of catching up to do.

Posted by: Brooke at August 28, 2012 11:16 PM

Won't go again. I went to my 10th Reunion. A core of kids that I went to school with from Kindergarten through Fifth Grade with. We moved and I didn't return until my Junior Year. I didn't know many people.

I had two really good friends. I had a decent time at my reunion, but it was odd. Your older, different and much changes, but all night I felt like I was back in high school.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at August 29, 2012 10:38 AM

I was mildly interested in going to my 10th. And then I had a medical emergency and didn't get to. I heard from the 2 people that I'm still friends with (of the 1,000 in my graduating class) that it was the high school cafeteria all over again. I snuck off campus every day at lunch, because while I had friends, I was socially awkward and uncomfortable and in my later years, gossiped about by the girls. (Stupid mean girls.) I was glad I missed it.

20th is coming up. Thanks to Facebook and a reunion of a place I worked during my teen years (where all of my "real" friends came from), I have already connected and visited with anyone and everyone I care to. Besides a few teachers that I freakin' loved. But they are dead now.

I have no interest in going. I feel no guilt about that. High school, for me, was something I had to get through. It was not the best time of my life (thank goodness, or how awful life would have been for me) and I have very few fond memories about it. I'm living the best time of my life, with the friends I've chosen and who love me, right NOW.

Posted by: Mindy at August 29, 2012 2:53 PM