August 29, 2012

Tattoo You

After our week long trip to the beach, I've come to the conclusion that Beth and I are inherently boring. Why, you ask? (Because surely you cannot believe that two smart, sexy and witty people such as us are boring.) After a week at the beach, strolling along the boardwalk, swimming in the ocean and lying in the sand, it became apparent that we are the last remaining tattoo holdouts on the Eastern seaboard.

We saw two ends of the spectrum and everything in between. There were the casually tattooed - women with peace signs on ankles and kids names on shoulder blades and men with tribal tattoos and bicep crosses. Then there was the guy whose tattoos started on his chin and covered every exposed patch of skin down to his toes. In between were kick-ass scenes from the African plains and regrettably-placed angels, pulled down from the heavens by unfortunate and unwanted forces of gravity.

And while I clearly exaggerate - I'm sure we're not the only people in the greater Mid-Atlantic region without tattoos - we were frequently hard-pressed to find folks like ourselves who hadn't taken the plunge.

I'm pretty sure I'm not qualified to have a tattoo. Or, rather, I'm not confident that I have the foresight to choose a tattoo that wouldn't transform into a regrettable choice five, ten or fifty years down the road. For example, I wore parachute pants in seventh grade. For all but a six or seven month window, it was a regrettable choice. I also had a mullet for a year or so. Deeply regrettable. Now imagine if either of those regrettable choices were permanent. I would be a very, very sad, bemulleted, shiny pants wearing man today.

Do you have any tattoos? Where and of what? And if not, why?

Posted by Chris at August 29, 2012 7:34 AM
Comments

Yup -- two. One on the inside of my right ankle -- a butterfly I generally love but sometimes think, "WTF was I thinking?" Another on the lower right side of my back -- three stars. My parents both got three stars at the same time. :o) Working on a third right now. I just have to talk my calligrapher into it!

Posted by: Emily at August 29, 2012 8:27 AM

My wife and I are right there with you and Beth in the boring club. Although I would have a tattoo of our secret fraternity symbol on my ankle, except that the day we went to the tattoo shop my senior year of college the guy was out sick and the shop was closed. I never got around to trying again before I graduated.

And dude, I wore parachute pants and had a mullet in high school.

Posted by: COD at August 29, 2012 8:43 AM

I have one on my lower back (the location much to one of my son's chagrin)... a heart that I really wanted. It was something I really wanted and feel connected to. The placement was solely so that I didn't share it with anyone that I did not intend to show it to.

I know the nicknames of tattoo's in this particular location. . . which I find unfortunate for people like me who just want one for myself and not to share with the whole world!! :)

Posted by: 3jaysmom at August 29, 2012 9:08 AM

Posted by: 3jaysmom at August 29, 2012 9:08 AM

I have three small butterflies on my upper left shoulder. Usually covered up by clothing. Why I got them, I have no idea. Musta been because I use to be married to a biker and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Young and stupid is more like it.....

Posted by: Dawn at August 29, 2012 9:14 AM

I have no tattoos either. I've never come up with something I want permanently attached to my body.

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 29, 2012 9:21 AM

I came into this world with no tattoos and I plan to go out the same way. I have never seen anything that I wanted permanently plastered on my body!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 29, 2012 9:34 AM

"When her muscles start relaxin'/up the hill comes Andrew Jackson..."

Posted by: martin at August 29, 2012 10:03 AM

Hubby and I are both like you and Beth in this regard. We don't have any and have no intention to ever get any. I don't understand why anyone would want anything added to their body permanently like this.

Tats used to be rare. Seems everyone has them anymore.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at August 29, 2012 10:30 AM

I used to have a mullet for several years, and some of my best pictures are from that timeframe. I do not have a tattoo, and my wife and I noticed the same thing that you and Beth did when we went to a water park.

I like the idea of a tattoo, but I haven't found anything that I want on my body until I die yet. Maybe I'll get one when I'm 80.

Posted by: Rex at August 29, 2012 10:46 AM

I have five (well, six officially, I suppose - one covers up another so you can only see 5). I got one when I was 18 and it had zero meaning to me (the aforementioned covered up tat, now). Twelve years passed before I got another one and then they came in quick succession - four in one year. A year after *that* I got my sixth (and, for now, final) one. All of my tattoos have meaning to me and I love them all. The last two are my pre- and post-round-the-world trip tattoos, for example. People tend to be surprised when they find out I have any many tattoos as I do and I'm okay with that.

Posted by: shan at August 29, 2012 11:05 AM

I have one - got it 19 years ago. I don't regret it (I just got it re-inked last summer), and would get another if I didn't think it'd throw my husband into an infernal tizzy. We almost divorced over my first, which is one reason I've held off getting any more.

Posted by: Donna Young at August 29, 2012 11:09 AM

My boyfriend, really, really wants one, but he wants me to get one too, but I really have never liked the idea of tattoos (I guess I'm extremely boring, ha!) something that permanent kind of scares me. However I am totally fine if he gets one, I just don't have the guts to do it, ha.

Posted by: Heather at August 29, 2012 12:17 PM

saw this yesterday. goes down as "deeply regrettable".

Posted by: kati at August 29, 2012 1:16 PM

I'm not anti-tattoo at all. I've got a lot of friends and family who have them, and for them, it looks awesome. It's just not something that fits who I am. Actually, based on what I see these days, it seems like the only way to be a true rebel now is to not get inked or pierced. :)

Posted by: J at August 29, 2012 4:01 PM

No tattoos.

I'm afraid of the commitment. Every tattoo I once seriously considered, I'm so thankful I don't have on my body right now. I'd be paying big money to have it removed, had I went ahead with it.

Posted by: Mindy at August 29, 2012 5:23 PM

I'm 51 and just got my first tattoo last October in Daytona Beach, I was 50 at the time. I was really adverse to tatoos, b/c my ex-husband (who had been a muscian and navy guy) started getting obcessed with them, well after his band years. He has full sleeves on both arms and one on his leg.
I detested them and resented the money he spent on them. Call me crazy or mid-live crisis, but I was with my best friend and daughter in Daytona last October (free trip yea!) and I got a rainbow peace sign with curly q's on each side, not noticible unless I'm in a bikini. I really like it, call it the rebel in me....

Posted by: karen at August 29, 2012 5:51 PM

Posted by: karen at August 29, 2012 5:51 PM

Posted by: karen at August 29, 2012 5:51 PM

I have always wanted a tattoo, but never could think of one that I would want for the long haul - until we moved to Australia on a work assignment. I will be getting the Southern Cross on my shoulder blade before we leave. I don't want it huge or ornate, just the outline of the stars. I know it's a trite tattoo in Australia, but it will be meaningful to me as a reminder of the wonderful time we've been here.

Posted by: Kristi at August 29, 2012 6:01 PM

I'm 45 and got my first one this summer. I wanted one in memory of my parents (dove for my "peacekeeper" mom...holding the rope to an anchor(for my fisherman dad). It is placed where it can be visible or hidden. I love it!!!

Posted by: Roberta at August 29, 2012 7:48 PM

I do! I have one on my foot that says "EST 1988" and then the shape of wisconsin made out of cheese. I don't regret it one bit. I have no interest in others. My one is perfect for me.

Posted by: Ashley at August 30, 2012 1:44 AM

My husband and I are right there with ya. Tattoo free, and stangely proud. These days it makes you different because everyone and their mother have one. My sister has about 30 and her boyfriend is covered from head to toe and he is an artist. I could probably get one for free, but no thank you. With my luck, I'd hate it the next day and I'm kinda afraid of the pain.

Posted by: Nila at August 30, 2012 6:08 AM

I started with a tramp stamp (but lowww) that started working itself upwards into vines and flowers up my back in really pretty subtle colors. I also have a "bracelet" on my wrist of vines with a small heart in the middle.

My latest this year was on my foot - I found something each of my deceased parents had signed and my tattoo artist inked them onto my foot with a heart in the middle and wings on either side w/the year of their deaths. That is my favorite because I look at it and see their names (John and Betty) in their own signatures.

My husband had a dinky one on his shoulder from his early 20s that he had covered over which lead to a sleeve on each arm. All native american designs (which he is). He of course encouraged me to get mine.

Our son (22) has a 1/2 sleeve on one arm.

I like them, but I don't like the creepy ones -skulls and stuff!

Posted by: NancyB at August 30, 2012 7:33 AM

I've always wanted a tattoo. Conveniently, right after I broke up from my first-ever relationship of 3 years, a friend conveniently threw a tattoo party. I got a small treble clef on my right ankle with all the intentions to follow up with a bass clef on my left. A friend who was getting the phases of the moon going across his shoulders was right next to me and he held my hand the whole time. (I was such a wuss.) It was a good experience.

It's been 12 year and I still only have one--fuzzy around the edges now--tattoo. LOL

Posted by: oakley at August 30, 2012 10:52 AM

Yes, I have one on my shoulder and after 11 years I still love it. I want to expand it, actually. I'm glad I waited until I was in my 20s though. I wanted one in my teens but I'm glad I didn't get it.

Posted by: Brad at August 30, 2012 1:54 PM

you can add me to your list. I don't have one.

My line is always..."I can barely commit to breakfast, how am I going to commit to something that I will wear for the rest of my days?!?"

Posted by: alimartell at August 31, 2012 9:41 AM

It took me years to think of anything I could even imagine liking for the rest of my life. When a dear friend, an artist and the most conscientious person I know, become a tattoo artist I asked him to help me out. At 37 I acquired two soft pink roses up along my left hip with the names of my grandparents beneath the stems. My grandfather brought pink roses to each newborn grandchild in the hospital beginning with me. My grandmother grew roses and often gave a cut rose to me when we visited. I was blessed to grow up within 5 miles of them. I look at it and love it every single day. Every time I drive back 'home' I visit their gravesite and often bring them a pink rose or two.

Posted by: Karen at September 5, 2012 12:10 AM