August 7, 2012

The Tooth Fairy Is A Neat Freak

I was informed yesterday - after the fourth in what is to be a long line of bloody teeth popped out of Mia's head - that the Tooth Fairy accepts only glistening, white clean teeth. Apparently the Tooth Fairy is offended by the sight of slightly unclean teeth. And Mia has high standards for imaginary childhood beings.

I cleaned said tooth, almost losing the tiny thing to an open drain - hello, shit creek, where is my paddle? - and returned it to Mia though her standards of cleanliness were not met. Beth took a turn with the toothbrush. Mia then informed us both that she would be writing the Tooth Fairy a note asking that she be allowed to keep her tooth.

Beth hatched a plan. Not only would we drop some cash and leave the current tooth but we'd return the three previously-lost teeth. There was the problem of money though. Neither of us had any cash. Luckily the kids and their allowance aren't easily parted and they have wads.

Me: We don't have any money.
Beth: She has money.
Me: She doesn't have any small bills. I had to make change last night for the Chinese delivery guy.
Beth: He has cash.
Me: Ones?
Beth: Yeah.

I can't tell you how this all turned out. I was out of the house and in the office by the time this played out. But I do think that the Tooth Fairy should keep her standards a little lower. And Mia should keep a few more dollar bills on-hand.

Posted by Chris at August 7, 2012 7:26 AM
Comments

I know I have told you about the similarities between my niece and your daughter and that tooth story confirms it. My niece chose to forgo the money because she wanted to keep her teeth. She probably named them if I know her.
I expect great things from Mia if she's like my niece as my niece is on her way to Penn State with a full ride for her PhD bypassing her masters. :-)
Get ready!

Posted by: NancyB at August 7, 2012 8:40 AM

Get ready!

Posted by: NancyB at August 7, 2012 8:41 AM

I think its cute that you've kept all the teeth she's lost so far. That's exactly what I see my wife and I doing.

Posted by: J at August 7, 2012 8:58 AM

It's good to know I'm not the only one who had to borrow from my kid's stash to fund the tooth fairy due to lack of small bills on hand.

Posted by: SarraJK at August 7, 2012 9:37 AM

LOL

Posted by: Julee at August 7, 2012 9:53 AM

At least you remembered! I've forgotten twice now and coming up with a story about why the tooth fairy failed to show is no easy feat.

Posted by: Holly at August 7, 2012 12:13 PM

i personally hold the tooth fairy to the standard of always leaving gold coins, so the first and only time lola has lost a tooth so far we were surprised when it fell out at almost 10pm and i thought i was going to have to send my husband out to 7-11 to see if they had any cute coins... and then he found some in our change bucket. whew :)

and does anyone not keep their kids' teeth? i couldn't imagine getting rid of them! my little bloody treasures hahaha.

Posted by: kati at August 7, 2012 9:12 PM

Ah, my Zoe lost her third tooth on Monday, as well. After tooth 1, the Tooth Fairy left Zoe a note that asked she leave any future teeth on the kitchen table. A lot less fumbling, a lot more opportunity to scrounge for cash or run to the store.

Posted by: kate at August 8, 2012 7:14 AM

Now I don't feel so bad for breaking into my daughters stash and using her own money to cover the tooth fairy fee.

Posted by: Kim K at August 8, 2012 8:40 AM