August 3, 2012

The Weeklies #223

The Weekly Television Obsession. The Olympics. I can't stop watching!

The Weekly Annoyances. Olympic spoilers.

The Weekly Read. Gillian Flynn is an amazing writer. Sure, her entertainment writing for Entertainment Weekly was great but better are her three novels. The latest - Gone Girl is no exception. Like all Flynn's novels, this one is creepy and dark but Gone Girl is exceptionally twisted. I can say very little about it without saying too much. Just read it. Seriously.

The Weekly Music. In Dreams & Time by Ancestors is my pick of the week. It's heavy (and I don't mean hard like thrash or metal), dramatic and beautiful. Think of combining early 90s grunge (specifically Alice In Chains) with Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here and you'll get the picture.

The Weekly Who Cares. Hey, Kiss is releasing a new album! Yeah, I couldn't give a shit either.

The Weekly App. While there are way too many games that try hard to be like Angry Birds, Where's My Perry? actually gets it right. I mean, it's awesome that its Perry the Platypus and all but if the game sucked it wouldn't matter. It's an Angry Birds-like physics game but there's are a few twists and a good sense of humor to match.

The Weekly Thing I Can't Believe Exists. $1,000 headphones for cats. For the cat who has everything and the owner who has no actively firing brain cells.

The Weekly Beverage Discovery. Starbucks Refreshers. Of course, I made the mistake of drinking one of these before my morning cup of coffee and bounced around the rest of the morning.

The Weekly Question. Where you live, are you inundated with negative political advertising and phone calls from political groups? And does any of this influence who you'll vote for?

Posted by Chris at August 3, 2012 7:18 AM
Comments

Oh, we LOVE Where's my Perry. I do get a little upset when my kids figure out a level before I do tho...

Posted by: Kim at August 3, 2012 8:57 AM

Read Gone Girl a couple of weeks ago (partly during my annual trip to the Missouri Ozarks) - utterly fantastic. I'm telling everyone to read it.
And,so you're telling me I should get Perry now so my kids stop wasting the angry birds eagles? :)

Posted by: Kate at August 3, 2012 9:15 AM

Posted by: Kate at August 3, 2012 9:16 AM

I am sick to death of all the negative advertising! It makes no difference to me, and I'll be glad after election day!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 3, 2012 9:18 AM

I am excited to hear about Gillian Flynn- the last time I was at a book store I picked up a book by her...not Gone Girl but an older one- now I can't wait to get to it (it's in my pile!)

Posted by: Amy at August 3, 2012 11:15 AM

I recently read Gone Girl too. Loved it! I have downloaded one of her others but haven't started it yet.

Posted by: Winna at August 3, 2012 11:23 AM

I kind of hated Gone Girl. Loved Flynn's previous books but couldn't get behind this one. Still a plus if it gets people reading her older two novels though! I got a political call at 9:25 PM last night. Him: "May I speak with the registered voter in the house please?" Me: "Not after 9 PM, you may not."

Posted by: rebecca at August 3, 2012 11:23 AM

I had a refresher the other day - I LOVE the cool lime. I tried a sample of the hibiscus and wasn't impressed, but the cool lime was amazing. <3

We don't have our house phone plugged in, so no I haven't been bogged down with political calls. I have been, however, been bogged down with political posts on facebook. It makes me NOT want to vote, simply because they annoy me so much. But no, they don't influence me one way or the other. The debates influence me, and that's about it.

Posted by: Kim at August 3, 2012 11:39 AM

My weekly who cares: Kristen Stewart blah-blah-blah.

Posted by: dbs at August 3, 2012 1:15 PM

I also can't get enough of the Olympics. I stream it all day at work too.

Posted by: Rex at August 6, 2012 8:28 AM