August 17, 2012

The Weeklies #225

The Weekly Pending Destruction. On Monday our kitchen gets blown up. For reals.

The Weekly Sore Spot. I'm getting really tired of mass shootings. Not nearly as tired as the victims but tired nonetheless.

The Weekly Read. Dani Amore is one of those authors who just popped up with the ebook revolution. Her books are well-reviewed and cheap so I figured I'd give one a shot. Dead Wood turned out to be a pretty decent read. There's the requisite murder, a troubled P.I. with a tragic backstory, and seedy characters, all pretty standard fare. But there was also a spark of originality to the story that propelled me through it and wished there was a sequel (there isn't).

The Weekly Television. The Olympics are over and my DVR has - literally - nothing on it. We're catching up on Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Daily Show and The Colbert Report instead.

The Weekly Lifestyle Change. Exercise. Running, biking, swimming, oh my. I'm exhausted.

The Weekly Asshat. Dave Mustaine, singer and guitarist for Megadeth. He's always been a notorious asshole but he's upped his game by supporting every ultra right-wing conspiracy in the book stating this week that Obama was responsible for the recent spate of shootings in an attempt to gain sympathy for increased gun control measures.

The Weekly Question That Sounds Rhetorical But Really Isn't. What the hell are we going to do with no kitchen for a month? Hey, internet, would you invite us over for dinner?

Posted by Chris at August 17, 2012 7:36 AM
Comments

We'd be happy to have you over, but I think the commute to Minnesota might be a little much.
Sounds like this is the time when you can find out exactly how much stuff you can cook on your grill.

Posted by: J at August 17, 2012 8:55 AM

Hey, I just read a book I think you'd like. Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch. It's about a police constable in London who meets a ghost witness to a crime and finds himself working for the supernatural department of the Metropolitan Police. Imagine if Neil Gaiman wrote a police procedural. Sort of. Anyway, I liked and it immediately downloaded the sequel (there are two!).

Posted by: Hillary at August 17, 2012 9:06 AM

Since you are into detective stories I'll assume you are already familiar with Travis McGee? I've just discovered the Travis McGhee books and I'm loving them. Not available on Kindle, you'll have to haunt dusty used book stores (or their web sites) to find them. Which is a feature, not a bug, for me.

Also, Dave Mustaine might be proof that sobriety is not always the answer.

Posted by: COD at August 17, 2012 9:26 AM

I'd totally invite ya over for dinner, Michigan is a long haul though so start early! ;)

Posted by: Kris at August 17, 2012 9:53 AM

Invest in paper plates - trying to do dishes and get them really clean in a laundry tub or bathroom is a real hassle when it lasts more than 1 week.

Good luck!

Posted by: Nancy A at August 17, 2012 10:44 AM

Good luck!

Posted by: Nancy A at August 17, 2012 10:44 AM

That's when you set up a minikitchen in the garage - if you are lucky enough around these monkeytown-ish parts to have one. I was just wondering about the kitchen redo, and wanting to see before/after pics!

Also, love that the office moved - that is fab. We've lived in the greater monkeytown area for 8 years, and the traffic really is ridiculous here, and people NOT from here just don't totally understand.

Posted by: punkinnoodle at August 17, 2012 1:38 PM

Come over here. Seriously. We would love to have you!

Posted by: alektra at August 17, 2012 6:34 PM

Paper plates definitely! Cups and silverware too Do you have a dining room? We moved our fridge into ours and the microwave too when we did our kitchen. And the coffee pot! Cereal for breakfast, microwave stuff, or grill for dinner. Crockpot! Or electric skillet.
Plan out your meals and keep it simple. It sucks but when it's over it's great.

Posted by: NancyB at August 17, 2012 9:24 PM

You're welcome here at my suburban Cleveland, Ohio home.... but that might be more of a commute than you had planned on. Good luck with that whole "no kitchen" thing!

Posted by: ironic1 at August 18, 2012 11:46 PM

Of course, youre always welcome at our house, even if it is in Jersey. May I suggest becoming very friendly with local takeout?

Posted by: That Girl at August 21, 2012 5:06 AM

Crockpot! With disposable liners! And, much as we'd love to have you - 2 brilliant little girls and 2 Owens in one room?? - don't think you'd make it in time, even with the time zone difference. Best of luck. Share the progress.

Posted by: kate at August 21, 2012 8:29 PM

It's funny isn't it? It's crazy when someone says there's vast conspiracy against Obama, but perfectly sane to say the same thing against any Republican esp George Bush??? Practice what you preach.

Posted by: Christine at August 22, 2012 2:03 PM