September 12, 2012

A Guy Walks Into My Office...

Yesterday, a guy walked into my office. "You know," he said, "I don't think this is for me."

"What? What's not for you? If it's the tie you're talking about, it looks great."

"This job. It's not me. It's not what I want to do. I've decided to be a financial advisor. I've got a bunch of exams to take first but when I get them all done, I'm going to be leaving the company, going somewhere else and help people with their money. That's more me"

I'm this guy's boss. I've got about 15 years on him and I outrank him quite a bit. But I have to admit, I admired the way he handled it and respected his reason. He wasn't after more money, a bigger office, or a more prestigious title. He just wanted to do something that suited him better. Regardless of what stage of life you're in, it takes guts to admit you're not doing what you like. And even more guts to start over.

Me? I like my job. And I'm good at it. Are there other jobs I'd dig? Sure. I'd love to be a record producer, a sound engineer, a graphic designer, a photographer or a professional beach bum. Until I win the lottery, though, I think I'll stick with what I've got.

What alternate career would you like to have? Even if money's no option.

Posted by Chris at September 12, 2012 7:52 AM
Comments

I envy that guy; he knows what's "more him." I'm very good at my well-paying job, but it stresses me out, and I don't love it. I keep trying to find a way to apply my skills to a new profession, but that's far easier said than done. If money were not a factor, I'd be a yoga instructor. Absolutely. Hands down.

Posted by: Emily at September 12, 2012 8:34 AM

That is awesome! I am thinking about changing careers very soon as well, it's a bit scary, but I am glad to see I'm not the only one.

Professional Beach Bum doesn't sound so bad either.

Posted by: Heather at September 12, 2012 9:15 AM

I would go back to school to be a teacher, I would love to teach kindergarten. I didnt even know I liked this type of challenge until my kids went through it. I do actually like my job too, but if money was not an option I would go do that. I do volunteer at the school as much as I can but not as much as I would LOVE.

Posted by: linda at September 12, 2012 9:21 AM

If I had enough money (note: win one of the big lotteries) so I didn't need to care if I made a profit or even broke even, I'd run a children's bookstore. There's just not enough of them out there any more, and I love seeing a kid's eyes light up when they open a book for the first time.
Until then, my tech job has to pay the bills.

Posted by: J at September 12, 2012 9:34 AM

I've already made the move. All my adult life, I've crunched numbers, and hated it. Now, I'm a legal assistant, and I love my job.

Posted by: Julee at September 12, 2012 10:44 AM

Philanthropist. Caterer. Musical theater actor. Astronaut.

Posted by: oakley at September 12, 2012 11:46 AM

A nurse, archaeologist, musician, interior designer, personal shopper/stylist, or architect.

If money was no object, I think i'd go back to college for life taking classes from literature to engineering.

Posted by: laurs at September 12, 2012 2:48 PM

i already love what i do, i would just like that whole "money is no issue" thing to happen to me so i could really enjoy it instead of churning work out just to stay afloat :)

Posted by: kati at September 12, 2012 3:45 PM

I would be an advocate for abused children and sex trade workers, I think. I don't know that I could do it full time because it would obviously be highly emotionally demanding, but if I could...I think it would be a very good thing to do.
What I'm *working* on is becoming a child and youth counsellor, but since Uni was such a struggle and my grades aren't full of awesome, (also, $$$$$) I'm not really ready for grad school...so I'm just...cruising? I don't know.
Actually, maybe if I was a bazillionaire I'd be IronMan or Batman (except I don't actually want my parents to die ...) but um yeah, being the female equivalent (but not the prissy pin-up version) of one of those guys would be pretty sweet ;)

Posted by: Heather at September 12, 2012 7:58 PM

Good for him for realizing what he wants to do and taking the steps to get there. I work in Career Services at a University and we get so many alum come back who are unhappy in their jobs and want to do something else but don't know what it is. They often ask "What can I do"...and I always counter with "What do you WANT to do". Many of them are don't want to take the extra classes, or training that they need in order to pursue their dreams.

As for me, Librarian, Museum Curator, run a no kill animal shelter or volunteer organizer for ares hit by disaster. I serve as an advisor for our Alternative Spring Break groups where to travel to disaster areas and work on rebuilding. I want to be the person on the ground coordinating the work and sending the volunteers out.

Posted by: Lisa at September 13, 2012 8:09 AM

Billionaire.
Okay, really? I'd love to go back to my very first career: circus clown. Unlikely, alas, given my age, physical condition, and fiscal condition.

Posted by: Bozoette Maryq at September 13, 2012 10:07 AM

I want to be a life guard. I guarded for 4 years, and I absolutely loved it.

But since I realistically can't do that - I want to be a physical therapist. Seriously. Mine has changed my life, continues to, and I am so grateful. I wanna be Tina. Well - not exactly Tina - but I want to do for people what she has done for me.

Posted by: Mindy at September 13, 2012 12:44 PM

Test car/truck/motorcycle person that would write articles for magazines after driving said vehicles. I don't right all that well and my reviews would alternate from "HOLY SHIT! That thing is awesome!" to "It gets you from A to B", but I think I would enjoy that.

Posted by: Rex at September 13, 2012 10:39 PM