September 6, 2012

Fall

There are many signs that it's fall - or, at least, nearly fall. Chief among them? The return of my scratchy nuts.

Oh, come on...I wait all summer to use that line.

My nuts are, more specifically, chestnuts. You know, the things you roast over an open fire while Jack Frost is nipping at your nose? It's a true sign that fall is right around the corner when these babies start falling. Actually if feels more like nature is throwing them at us. Seriously, one of these catches you in the head on the way down, you feel it.

Our squirrel population quadruples as does our old Asian lady population. Apparently chestnuts are popular with both demographics. And thus starts a delicate dance we perform each year. The old Asian ladies ask if they can have my nuts and ask if I've ever roasted them. We say yes and they're not our thing. They come back two days later with my nuts, roasted, in Tupperware. We return their Tupperware several days later claiming that we enjoyed the roasted nuts. And we lie. Because my nuts? Taste like a sweaty armpit.

Soon our yard will be covered with pointy husks. I guess it's really fall.

Posted by Chris at September 6, 2012 7:40 AM
Comments

Ohhhhh! I love me some roasted chestnuts! Especially in my Thanksgiving stuffing!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 6, 2012 9:26 AM

Ha! First off, that's an awesome picture! Secondly, I cannot tell you how disappointed I was the first time I ever tried roasted chestnuts. Someone should re-write that Christmas tune because it lies--makes you think you're going to get a treat...

Posted by: bacioni at September 6, 2012 10:21 AM

maybe your nuts are too old to roast... I have never see a chestnut tree, those things look interesting.

Posted by: linda at September 6, 2012 12:45 PM

I agree, chestnuts are nasty! We had two HUGE chestnut trees growing up and they had sharp spikes like these:http://static.flickr.com/92/265857332_03e4a5b81a.jpg

I say take the roasted nuts and throw them out in the back yard for the squirrels....maybe they like them roasted too?

Posted by: Lisa at September 6, 2012 12:55 PM

I haven't seen such a roasted nut before as well.

Posted by: Cheap Nike Free Run at September 7, 2012 6:09 AM