September 27, 2012

Point and Shoot

The first picture I ever posted to the internet was taken on August 28, 2004. I think I snapped it with an old Sony 3 megapixel point-and-shoot that was cutting edge at the time but now seems horribly outdated. I remember buying another Sony point-and-shoot after that, followed by a Samsung that lasted about two months, then a Panasonic that I still have. Then I bought a fancy Nikon DSLR.

Of these cameras the one that still gets the most use is that original Sony. It's Mia's now. It still works perfectly an she absolutely loves it. The others? I hardly ever shoot anything with a camera anymore. Just my phone.

We took several vacations this year. We visited a few beaches, went to Williamsburg, and did some quick weekend trips too. I only took a fancy camera with me once. And then it felt like it was just something that got in the way. My go-to camera was my iPhone.

I'm sure there will always be a market for nice cameras but I have the feeling the days are numbered for the stand-along point-and-shoot cameras.

Has your phone replaced your camera? Or are you a devoted camera person?

Posted by Chris at September 27, 2012 7:47 AM
Comments

We have an old 5 MP camera that works well. The camera in my new phone is 5 MP also. You can guess which one gets used the most.

Posted by: COD at September 27, 2012 8:30 AM

I was Cannon Powershot point-and-shoot obsessed. But then I went through a phase where I didn't take a lot of photos, and once I got my iPhone, it's all iPhone, all the time. Why carry around an extra camera when your iPhone will take 8MP photos ... that's my philosophy. :o)

Posted by: Emily at September 27, 2012 9:15 AM

I only take an extra camera (old point and shoot) when I know it's somewhere that photos will be taken - a wedding, etc. Otherwise yup, it's the iPhone.

Posted by: Heather at September 27, 2012 9:33 AM

If I want to chronicle my life, there's nothing better than the camera I always have with me, the iPhone. If I want to create 'aht' then it's my trusty 7D all the way. You simply cannot capture the same amount of emotion with a lens the size of a small button-cell. My best shots remain those taken with proper hardware dedicated to the purpose.

Posted by: Martin at September 27, 2012 9:46 AM

I too had a Canon point and shoot (with extra cards and batteries) that has been in a drawer since I got my iPhone.

But I will be taking it out of the drawer, because I have found a justification for both.

Last month, I watched my husband and a bunch of friends do an Ironman. Of course, all day I was texting people, and looking up stats, and maps, and being in the middle of nowhere with no power.
The moment came when he was running down the finish chute and I was poised to capture it all on my phone. I pressed the red "play" button, and the phone shut down.
I need to reserve the phone for phone things, and with my canon plus it's extra batter, I will still be able to capture the money shot!

Posted by: Lisa at September 27, 2012 1:59 PM

I use a mix of the three (granted, I have a photography biz too), although I can't say I've been impressed with any of the p&s's I've owned after the 1st Sony one I bought in 2003 (still have it somewhere). Camera phones are just producing better quality images than P&S's IMO. I'll never go straight camera phone for personal images, there's limitations that just necessitate the big ole DSLR :)

Posted by: Christina at September 27, 2012 3:03 PM

On our last trip to Orlando I only used my iPhone. My boyfriend brought one of our digital cameras, but we took perhaps a total of 30 photos on it, while we took hundreds on our iPhones.

Posted by: Poppy at September 27, 2012 9:08 PM

I use a mix these days --
Long ago I owned a Canon AE and loved it. It broke and I moved to Canon PowerShot and have had a couple of versions. Got an IPhone and used that more than the P&S but missed the SLR so much. Used a friend's T2i a few months ago and got the itch so I bought one and love it and carry it around as much as possible.
So now it's the IPhone and DSLR because the big camera has made me feel creative again.

Posted by: NancyB at September 28, 2012 7:47 AM

My phone has. FOR SURE! I am not even sure that I know where my Canon is.

However, my step-father takes a zillion photos at family events on his fancy camera with fancy lenses. It works out well for me.

A regular camera is great, but it does get in the way. Plus? My phone takes dam good photos. People try and compare it to professional shots, which you know it will never do. However? It's so much better than the shitty cameras my parents used.

ps. Just so I don't need to go and comment on the previous post...I am laughing at your middle name thing. My dad spelled my middle name wrong too. Left a letter off. Yeah...I was named after HIS grandmother. Heh.

Posted by: Issa at September 28, 2012 3:42 PM