September 19, 2012

Really?

Mittens Romney messed up. Thinking he was speaking at a private fundraising event that set attendees back $50,000 a plate, Mittens opened his mouth and inserted not one but both feet. I'm not sure, ultimately, how badly this will impact his run for president but I, personally, hope this eliminates whatever chance he might have had. Let's look at what he said.

On his heritage:
"My dad, as you probably, know was the governor of Michigan and was the head of a car company. But he was born in Mexico ... and, uh, had he been born of, uh, Mexican parents, I'd have a better shot at winning this, but he was unfortunately born to Americans living in Mexico.... I mean I say that jokingly, but it would be helpful to be Latino."

What was Mittens saying, exactly? Without coming out and saying it, he told us all that he can't win the race based on his qualifications, his skills or his record. Instead, it comes down to race. He doesn't want to be part of a proud heritage, rich in tradition. He wants to play the race card for his own benefit. Damn my luck! Why couldn't I have been born with en cuna de oro in my mouth instead?

On Middle East peace:
“We sort of live with it, and we kick the ball down the field and hope that ultimately, somehow, something will happen and resolve it. I look at the Palestinians not wanting to see peace anyway, for political purposes, committed to the destruction and elimination of Israel, and these thorny issues “And I say, ‘There’s just no way.’ You hope for some degree of stability, but you recognize that this is going to remain an unsolved problem.”

Yep. Fuck it. It's too hard. Why bother trying? Makes you pretty happy George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King didn't share Romney's apathy, doesn't it?

On reliance on government:
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent on government, who believe that, that they are victims, who believe that government has the responsibility to care for them. Who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing."

He said it is his job not to worry about these people. So, if you're part of that 47%, Mittens doesn't really give a damn about you. He's written you off. You're not his job.

Look, I'm a democrat. You know this. I'll readily admit we're not perfect. We're disorganized, often wishy-washy on issues and we consistently elect people like Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid then expect things to change. But the republican platform seems to have developed this monolithic if you're not with us you're against us attitude that's sad. The party is happy to let you starve to death, your kids go uneducated or have you bleed out in an alley without getting involved but god forbid you have the nerve to have a uterus and an opinion about it.

The rhetoric is getting me down this time, folks. We don't need it and we don't have time for it. Maybe Obama's not the answer but Mittens sure as hell isn't either. Not now that he's abandoned half of the country.

Posted by Chris at September 19, 2012 7:43 AM
Comments

I'm finding this election cycle particularly depressing too. I just can't listen to the stories about politics and skip them in my daily NPR listen (big advantage to listening to the news via computer). The thing that scares me is how many people there are that would agree with what Romney said 100%.

Posted by: Elizabeth at September 19, 2012 8:10 AM

All those crazy people thinking they're entitled to the basics of human existence like food and a roof over their heads and medical care.

I've been pretty much checked out this election. I feel like Obama hasn't kept his promises, but of course there's no way I'm going to vote Republican, which has left me feeling cynical and disengaged by the whole process. Even so, I was astonished by the simple sneering arrogance of his comments.

Not to mention that the 47% (which isn't precisely an accurate number) don't pay income taxes because they don't make very much money. What's Mitt's excuse?

Posted by: Hillary at September 19, 2012 9:09 AM

I'm disgusted and saddened by what I've read and heard this campaign and most of it is not rhetoric because it's neither effective nor persuasive. Because the internet is anonymous, people don't have a problem being incredibly nasty to and about people who don't agree with them. Read some of the comments following any political article and you'll find that it's deterioriated into name calling on all sides.

Posted by: Carolyn at September 19, 2012 9:12 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. President Obama may not be the "everything" people want, but he sure as hell has our Country's well being at the forefront. The Republicans do not want to serve the people of this country. They just do not want President Obama to. I'm sick of America being the laughing stock of the international world. We used to be a Country admired, now we are laughed at. All because the Republicans refuse to compromise and negotiate.

It frustrates me to no end. President Obama may not be a perfect person (afterall, who is?) but at least he is not a snobby, elitist, racist jerk.

Posted by: 3jaysmom at September 19, 2012 9:17 AM

Totally agree. I know I should vote but I want change and neither of them are going to do it.

Posted by: claire at September 19, 2012 9:30 AM

Nastiest election ever... and I've seen a few at 54 years old. Voted for Obama last time, will again this time. I'm not a person who votes a "straight ticket", I gave the Republicans a chance to come up with someone I'd like better. Major fail.

Posted by: Julee at September 19, 2012 9:48 AM

Completely agree...this election cycle completely depresses me. I'm sad by the way we are treating each other. Not sure how we come back to a place were discussion is civil and not this I'm right, you are wrong crap.

And it's crap like the 47% comment that perpetuates it. And Fox news.

Posted by: cyndy at September 19, 2012 10:07 AM

I live in a battleground state and the noise of the political ads + the clutter from lawn signs is too much for me. I cannot escape it whenever I walk out my door. This election can't be over too soon for me.

Posted by: Ally Bean at September 19, 2012 10:19 AM

Posted by: Ally Bean at September 19, 2012 10:19 AM

Well, I did something very wrong there. Sorry for the duplicate comment. Mea culpa.

Posted by: Ally Bean at September 19, 2012 10:24 AM

I am simply astonished at the volume of people who just keep spouting whatever is told to them via TV or internet. And they are like loyal soldiers posting nasty us vs them things and spewing verbatim what drool some of these "analysts" spew out. The state of this country is distressing because the "haves" in this country have accomplished what is truly a nation fabric shredder; they have succeeded in turning the citizens of this country against each other and the only ones who benefit from that is them- the "haves". We cannot be a nation strong when we are so willing to leave 47% behind. It's like people think that there is some big reward for promoting self interest and preservation. If that's truly the path the majority of this country wants to go down, then we are in for a bumpy ride.

Posted by: greenie at September 19, 2012 10:34 AM

One of the conservative talking heads pointed out that many people who might traditionally be supporting Mitt are in that 47%. Seniors, the military, etc. And, cynically, maybe even Mitt himself who has shown no proof of paying taxes! I have two kids, two jobs, three degrees and a whole lot of partisan rage to direct at Mitt who thinks because I'm a Democrat I'm a slacking freeloader. There is nothing wrong with providing services to those who *need* them. I'm okay with some folks making too little money to be tax burdened. That's our job as a society- to care for each other. Mittens probably never did care about me (having a uterus and all) but he turned my apathy into something more proactive with his honesty. Pissed me off enough to start badgering people who might not vote into voting Obama instead.

Posted by: rebecca at September 19, 2012 11:13 AM

I don't think Mitt has a chance, but you never know until it is over. President George W. Bush is a good example of something unexpected. I thought there was no way that he could win a second term and he did.

I predicted Obama would win by 5-7 points on Facebook weeks ago. But, anything could happen before now and election day. I feel that Mitt is the worst candidate put up in decades.

The thing that bothers me the most is the average voter doesn't really know what each candidate stands for. They hear one thing that sticks in their head and they vote on that. Regardless of whether it is true or not.

The most disturbing thing to me about this discovery about Mitt is that many agree with what he said. Lack of empathy and compassion for others is what astonishes me the most about him. He has lived a truly blessed life. He seems to live in a small circle and doesn't understand difficulties. There are good reasons why our country has safety nets, the Great Depression is why most of our programs are in place.

He seems to want to cut programs and about everything that is important, but he won't consider raising taxes on the wealthy. This goes against everything that our country stands for. It makes no sense that the average worker pays more taxes than Mitt or my family. If you make more, you should pay more. It is that simple.

I have a niece who was a teenaged mother. No father in the picture, pregnant and had no clue what to do. She wouldn't consider adoption. Welfare, was the only thing that saved her. The irony is that she says she is a Republican. She has no understanding of what that means. Nor does she understand that they would gladly drop her support if they could.

Mitt hasn't worked by choice since 2007. All he has done is run for President and enjoy life. This is the best that they could come up with?

Obama wasn't my guy initially. I was behind Hillary. I have to give him credit though. He brought calm and class back. He didn't do half of what I expected and hoped for, but he saved us from sliding into another Great Depression. The economy is rebounded and I feel things are starting to move in the right direction. Mitt, I feel would send us into a free fall on every level.

I don't watch any political ads on television. Being in Colorado, we are bombarded with them. I turn the channel to avoid listening to anything that I didn't find to read and investigate for myself.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at September 19, 2012 11:35 AM

I love his defense of his "inelegantly stated" remarks..."I didn't know I was being recorded." To me, that's the point. Character is what you do and say when you don't think anyone is watching.

Posted by: Kate M at September 19, 2012 11:58 AM

The GOP should just change its slogan to , "If it's all WHITE, it's all RIGHT."

I sympathize with those who are frustrated with the Commander in Chief and his successes or lack thereof. However, let us not forget when he was elected into office, the GOP basically stated they were going to c-block him right out of office.

Not even being sneaky about it. This is out plan and here is how we are going to one term you. Not in the best interest of the country, the people, just in our best interest.

Posted by: JJ at September 19, 2012 12:02 PM

Okay, I didnt vote for your man last time around but I am this time. I can't stand Mittens and I was really shocked at these comments. Did you hear that jimmy carter's grandson shot the video. Hilarious!

I live in Iowa and the political ads are terrible. I hardly watch any TV that isnt DVRd but the local news I usually watch live. The ads run constantly.

Posted by: linda at September 19, 2012 1:35 PM

Save us from a depression?? Has anyone seen our deficit?! Our country is digging out of financial ruin and yet nobody seems willing to cut where cuts need to be made. As for taxes, how much more should we be paying? I feel we all, regardless of income, should pay taxes. We all benefit from what our tax dollars are paying for. Problem is the ppl that are abusing the system. Crack down on welfare fraud and see what that will produce. Seems there is a huge entitlement issue. Gimme gimme gimme. Obamacare is a disaster. Im not a Mitt lover but obamas not the answer either. We are in big trouble.

Posted by: SD at September 19, 2012 8:25 PM

If I could provide some statistics (boring but necessary when stereotypes are bandied about) regarding entitlement programs -Federal budget and census data from 2010 show that 91% of benefit dollars from entitlement programs went to the elderly, disabled, and members of working households. People who paid into those programs and now need that help. Whereas, only 9% went to those who are were not elderly, disabled or working (and a majority of that went to medical care, unemployment insurance benefits, SS benefits for spouses and children of deceased workers and SS retiree benefits-basic need stuff). So this stereotype of those who are "abusing the system" is not the rampant problem people so often believe.

I think that it is some people's desperate way of clinging to the American dream. They can look down on those who are asking for handouts and tell themselves that the poor and maligned deserve it because they don't work hard enough or are lazy. Others, I believe, really want it this way because the fear allows us to turn on each other and then the status quo remains (the rich get richer-the poor get poorer) and there is no progress. Some really don't want the progress -and therein lies the divide in this country.

If people really understood the reasons for poverty-low wage jobs (which we need people to do) with no benefits, no access to decent housing and nutrition, and no access to education are just a few off the top of my head-they would have to fully realize that dream is not within many people's reach, and not because they are lazy or unmotivated. Circumstances and fortune are at play too and we have not control over those (most times).

The meanness and unsympathetic attitude towards these "dependents of government" really burns me because I have seen first hand how government programs help people-not enable them. We need to get past this "I got mine, you got yours" mentality, but sadly I don't hold too much hope these days. Darn my bleeding heart!

Posted by: amyd at September 20, 2012 8:56 AM

Chris, mind telling SD that there are other forms of taxation that every American deals with on a day-to-day basis?

Dear Mr. Romney:

Before I qualified to pay income tax, I was paying:
-SSN
-Medicare tax
-Payroll tax
-Property taxes (through paying rent, let's be fair here, kids)
-SALES TAX

I am not a screaming liberal by any stretch of the imagination. I was raised Catholic and believe in a lot of the precepts behind my faith (I'm more of an American nun/JPII Catholic than an Emperor Palpatine Catholic, to be fair). I am, however, Latina. And I am now probably in the 5% of the U.S. "No offense meant," Mr. Romney, but Fuck. You.

I don't say that often on the interwebz, even under a pseudonym, but Fuck. You. I worked my ass off 12 hours a day five days a week (sometimes more) to *try* and pay $350/month in rent and food and my car payment and mostly for gas (to get to the shit job) and have health insurance, and THEN try to start up my own business at the same time. My hands are still wrecked from the job, no joke. Oh, and at the time? I had an ENGINEERING degree.

And you'd have a better chance of being president if you were "actually" Mexican? Hey, genius. Not only was your family a bunch of "illegals" who "snuck in across the border" to the U.S., but there are plenty of Mexicans who are pastier than you because they have Irish and Spanish and all sorts of "pure" Anglo blood. But all us spics look alike, right? I mean, look at all the Hispanic presi... Oh, wait.

Angered beyond reason,