September 21, 2012

The Weeklies #229

The Weekly Download. iOS6. Kinda disappointing, honestly.

The Weekly Affliction. Sleep crapnia. That's where you sleep like crap for the better part of a week.

The Weekly Read. James Sallis wrote Drive, a hardboiled noir thriller that turned out to be a pretty interesting read. The same can't be said of the follow-up, Driver. As a matter of fact, the only real positive thing that can be said is that it's short. Somewhere in the first few dozen pages I totally lost the story. It became an interwoven mix of narrative and flashbacks and I can't be entirely sure how it ended. Not because it was needlessly confusing - which it was - but because I was completely uninterested. Skip it.

The Weekly Music. Ben Folds Five is back! Now, I was never a massive Ben Folds Five fan but I've always liked them just fine. Nevertheless, I picked up their latest - The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind - earlier in the week when it hit the virtual shelves. It's awesome. Particularly of note is the awesome Do It Anyway which might just be the coolest, smartest thing they've ever recorded.

The Weekly Customer Service Story. I bought an MP3 album from Amazon a couple years back. As I usually do, I downloaded it and loaded it in iTunes. I went looking for it a few days ago and couldn't find it. Amazon showed I'd bought it but the MP3s weren't in my Amazon Cloud Drive or Cloud Player either. So I dropped them a line and received an automated message telling me that they'd get back to me in 12 hours. Three minutes later I received a response. Not only that but the kind individual on the other end of the email uploaded the files so I could grab them for me, no questions asked. Now that's customer service.

The Weekly Question. If you could go back in time to any moment - merely as an observer - what moment would that be?

Posted by Chris at September 21, 2012 7:32 AM
Comments

Did you try the panorama option yet in iOS6? Fun. And the new phone options are interesting: http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#phone

Posted by: Karen at September 21, 2012 9:05 AM

I always liked Ben Folds. In a display of awesomeness, they did a music video with the Fraggles for a song off the new album:

Posted by: J at September 21, 2012 10:11 AM

I will raise a glass to customer service at Amazon. I have never had a negative experience with them.

Posted by: bacioni at September 21, 2012 11:20 AM

I'm scared of iOS6. How bad is the maps app?

Posted by: ktjrdn at September 21, 2012 11:23 AM

I'm not thrilled with the phone changes with iOS6, but oh well, I love the iPhone anyway.

Posted by: Heather at September 21, 2012 4:11 PM

I love Ben Folds - I love Ben Folds Five. I'm excited. And thanks for sharing - as I'm not up on music, and it would have taken me 2 years to realize they have a new album.

Amazon ROCKS. Over and over again, they just rock. I HATE that they are killing brick and mortar stores - but damn it - when I call them with a problem (I've had 2, both were with orders placed through Amazon but not fulfilled by them) - I've barely got "I need your help" out of my mouth when I receive a picture of them bending over backwards to fix it. Easily. For me. And most of the time? PERFECTION.

Just as an observer. Hm. Just as an observer. OH! I always wanted to see a shuttle taking off in person, and I never got to. And I sure hope that I get to at some point in my life.

Posted by: Mindy at September 21, 2012 5:53 PM

Posted by: Mindy at September 21, 2012 5:53 PM

Sleep crapnia. Yes. Thank you for naming my affliction.

Posted by: Annie at September 21, 2012 7:00 PM

#1: Christ rising from the grave (I am a believer)
#2: The signing of the Declaration of Independence (just to be in THAT room with THOSE minds... I can't even imagine it!)
#3: My own birth (to see what my parents and brothers were doing/saying/feeling)

Posted by: Tess at September 21, 2012 9:11 PM

Dear Cacti Fam,

1. L.O.V.E. the new kitchen. It is fabulous. So wonderful, I love the stuff you chose, and it looks amazing, like you were on a show, but without all the silly extra stuff they always put in the room that is totally impractical. Love it.

2. My fam (with our 17-month old) is looking to go to Williamsburg/whatever else is down there in a month or so. We've never been and want to take a little weekend away. And didn't you all just go? and one sucked, and another was awesome fun? So ummm when was that? With a quick skim I didn't find it.

3. Love ben folds. especially his sultry smooth voice when he's putting in his thoughts on the sing-off.

Posted by: punkinnoodle at September 22, 2012 9:31 PM