September 28, 2012

The Weeklies #230

The Weekly Weather Waffling. The weather around here can't seem to make up its mind. Will I be cold today? Hot? Why decide?

The Weekly Plumbing Catastrophe. On Sunday afternoon, our water heater kind of exploded. Or, rather, one of the hoses into the water heater did. Which left our basement soggy and us out $1,300. As it turned out, nothing the previous homeowner did when they replaced the water heater shortly before moving out was up to code. Awesome.

The Weekly Plumbing Related Text Message.

Her: Apparently 18 inches is the code now.
Me: That's what she said.

The Weekly Music. I'm almost 40 years old (I know) so I'm probably not the target demographic for Green Day. But I like them. So I picked up their latest album, Uno. I was relatively unimpressed. Don't get me wrong. This is good, solid material but it just lacks...substance. In fact, I got the feeling this is the shallow, fun stuff they wrote while piecing together American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. Maybe a lack of substance is entirely the point. Solid? Yes. Groundbreaking? No.

The Weekly Read. There are few writers who've captured the angst and humor of Generation X and Y better than Nick Hornby and Jonathan Tropper. Hornby's always been a favorite of mine but I think a couple years back Jonathan Tropper beat him at his own game. Tropper is brilliant and his latest - One Last Thing Before I Go - is a perfect example of his talent. Silver is a former drummer with a one-hit-wonder rock band. Now, divorced with an 18 year old daughter, he plays weddings and lives in an apartment complex with other divorced men. Then a few things happen to change his life. I won't ruin anything but One Last Thing Before I Go was probably the best thing I've read so far this year. I urge you to pick up a copy.

The Weekly Perfect Moment. Owen, last night in bed, singing along to All You Need Is Love, one of his favorite songs.

The Weekly Question. The iPhone 5. Want it, hate it or all hype?

Posted by Chris at September 28, 2012 7:47 AM
Comments

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Green Day. LOVE. Like crazy love.

That being said, I was pretty underwhelmed by the new CD. Now, I realize its one of a trilogy and they were going for a differnt sound for each...and this was is supposed to be a return to their origins, but it doesn't work for them They aren't angsty punk 20-somethings anymore, they've moved beyond that and while i can hear strains of their early works, its too....pop? too gentle? They are millionares with beautiful wives, kids a huge ban base ..what do they have to be angry about anymore,lol

American Idiot will always be my favorite, (although Dookie is pretty awesome too)I love the narrative, the storyline.....the politicism, the purpose. The new songs are not connected, not directed at anyone or anything...Green Day is best when they are lashing out at someone or something. Still can't wait to see them in concert in January. Best live show I've ever seen...

Posted by: Lisa at September 28, 2012 8:43 AM

Well, I know what I'm buying for tonight's train ride home! I love Nick Hornby, but I've never read Jonathan Tropper.

I have to admit that I want an iPhone 5. I'm currently still on the 3GS (a fact that horrified one of the IT guys I work with yesterday) and it is starting to show its age.

My son is already showing clear preferences in music, and has since very early on. I can't wait until he is old enough to sing along.

Posted by: Hillary at September 28, 2012 9:06 AM

I had a TERRIBLE experience in trying to buy my iPhone 5 through AT&T. I took 4 hours on the phone, and ultimately, I cancelled the order and bought directly from Apple. They were kind and helpful and made me wish I never had to talk to AT&T again. But was the rigamarole worth it? Absolutely. The differences in the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 feel subtle but are delicious and beautiful, and I love it.

Posted by: Emily at September 28, 2012 9:31 AM

To be honest, I don't really understand all the hype regarding the new iPhone. I mean, it looks as cool as the other side of the pillow, but we had people lined up down the street on launch day. Is it so vital that they get the new phone immediately? Its not like Apple was only going to make a few thousand units and that's that. Pretty sure if they came back in a few weeks, etc., they could get one then too.

Posted by: j at September 28, 2012 9:33 AM

I'll disagree here. Uno is back to their roots. Yes, they aren't 20-somethings anymore and I don't think they were trying to recreate that but rather the sounds they made when they were 20-somethings. Look, no one is going to deny that American Idoit and 21 Century Breakdown were masterful but no one is going to pump out album after album like that. These next 3 are about going back to their roots. As I listen I hear shout outs to bands like Cheap Trick or The Smiths or The Knack or The Clash...its all in there and I think it rocks. Plus, there's always a little added bonus when Green Day lets the f-bombs fly. Usually I hate when bands do it but for some reason, that rule doesn't apply to Green Day

Posted by: Darren at September 28, 2012 10:28 AM

iPhone 5? Yeah, want it, but I have a 4S and I can't justify the purchase. Next year I'll buy the 5S outright. :)

Posted by: Martin at September 28, 2012 11:03 AM

No iPhone. Ever. Do not like the "A" products, never have, never will. Owen singing: don't you just love it when you realize you're raising them right? And LOL @ the text! :)

Posted by: Julee at September 28, 2012 2:16 PM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the iPhone 5...but then I was using a first generation Android until the phone came it. I am also an Apple girl and as technology dies, I will be replacing all with Apple products.

PS: If you haven't read Steve Jobs' biography yet, pick it up...it is amazing!

Posted by: Krush at September 28, 2012 2:32 PM

Ugh. I had a pipe burst earlier in the year. It even busted holes through walls. I never knew that could happen. Do you have the fans of death everywhere in your basement?

I have the iPhone 5. I love it. I loved my 4 and this one is just even better. It's all fast and shiny. :)

Posted by: Issa at September 28, 2012 3:37 PM

I should probably preface this with the fact that I'm a Green Day Fan who pretty much loves anything Green Day does, but I LOVE Uno! I've been a big fan of the band since I was 13 (so, almost 20 years.. yikes!), and I do feel like it's a return to their roots. I appreciate the messages from American Idiot & 21st Century Breakdown, but there's nothing wrong with fun, and I think Uno's fun. And my inner 13-year old is ECSTATIC! :)

Posted by: Manda at September 28, 2012 6:00 PM

ordered my 5 today. can't wait. but i'm going to have to. 14-21 days. thanks for nothing, apple ;)

Posted by: kati at September 28, 2012 6:39 PM

I just had to come back to say the more I listen to Uno, the less I like it. I think Green Day has musically matured past this sloppiness..they are capable of much more powerful music and now that I've really listened to the lyrics...they are incredibly lame. My 16 year old son LOVES Uno, I jut think Green Day can do better...Uno is kind of boring.

Posted by: Lisa at September 29, 2012 11:32 AM