September 25, 2012

Where Do You Work?

I divide my time between two offices - one in my basement and my one in an actual office building. Each have advantages and disadvantages.

office%20chart.jpg

I'm always interested in where people work, you know, where they do their thing everyday. So I thought I'd show you my basement office.

(Yes, I'm aware it's a bit dark but I shot the picture in the three and a half seconds I had available to me yesterday. The other ten hours of the day were spent on conference calls. I had to take lots of ibuprofen last night. And honestly, my office is like a bar. The lower the lights, the less horrifying it seems.)

Where do you work? What's your office space like?

Posted by Chris at September 25, 2012 7:41 AM
Comments

My office is in an old coal mining baron's mansion. (OUr campus has a lot of mansions). Probably was once a bedroom or sitting room. It's small but I have a balcony and a door that opens to the balcony which is great on nice days to have lots of fresh air. All the offices in our building vary in size and while mine may be the smallest, I'm the only one with a balcony. We have two bathrooms (with showers, no ones uses them) on our floor.

My old office was even better. It was HUGE. I had my own conference table and a marble fireplace (non working). I also had a door that let outside to a patio/porch. That building was awesome. We had 6 bathrooms, multiple balconies, a dumbwaiter, 2 full kitchens, porches, fireplaces....

Posted by: Lisa at September 25, 2012 8:20 AM

I work in an office and occasionally work at home when there's a kid- or home-related reason for it. There's no reason for me not to work at home since the majority of my colleagues are in Japan but my bosses have always wanted cheeks in seats. Of course, I have a whopping 10 minute commute, so it isn't a hardship to go into the office. At work I sit on an aisle that has open desk areas, not cubes. Not a fan of the open concept especially since I sit by sales people who talk a lot (sometimes work related, often times not).

Posted by: Carolyn at September 25, 2012 8:35 AM

I have a decently sized cube. I have a TV at my desk (the advantage of working for a company that has several television networks). Lots of pics of and by my kids. The nice thing is that I am at the end of a dead-end row and have a big window right here.

Of course, the best feature is that friday donuts and bagels are right across from my cube for easy access :)

Posted by: Kaz at September 25, 2012 8:39 AM

I work in cubeland in the office (though my seniority gets me a window -- yay me!), and remotely from home if kid-related or after-hours work requires it. I've got a nice office set up in the basement with room for all my computers, and quiet enough so I don't disturb the family during a 2am software installation.

Posted by: j at September 25, 2012 8:41 AM

I have a cube, but it's fairly open and backs up to the 10th floor windows. As a veteran of too many start ups that flamed out quickly, I keep my desk area very spartan. No pictures of family, very limited personal effects. If the company tanks I'm set up for a quick exit :)

The view is rather nice, even if it is a bit hazy today.

Posted by: COD at September 25, 2012 9:08 AM

3 days a week I'm in a cube on the 23rd floor of my office. It's an open cube, though, and I'm by a window. The other 4 days a week I am running around dropping off and picking up - school, sports, dancing, etc...so my office is the car!

Posted by: akofaolain at September 25, 2012 9:49 AM

Some time before, I needed to buy a good house for my organization but I didn't earn enough cash and couldn't purchase something. Thank heaven my mother proposed to try to take the credit loans from trustworthy creditors. Therefore, I acted that and used to be satisfied with my credit loan.

Posted by: GloverAlta27 at September 25, 2012 10:19 AM

I work in a unconventional office space, a work trailer! Ha, think construction site, no running water, yet I enjoy my 10 minute walks in the fresh air to the building I go to in order to use a rest room (males get porta potties, ha). I get my own office, with 2 windows, it's of electrical towers, but who cares, he. I have never in my life had my own office, so I am very grateful. Laid back office space :)

Posted by: Heather at September 25, 2012 12:13 PM

Currently I'm not working, unless you count getting our new house in order and our kids all enrolled in school to be work.

Before we moved, I worked in a cubicle in a large room with a view of Santa Monica Bay. We had a huge patio and my friends and I would eat out there and look at the ocean and enjoy the sun. Not bad at all, except for the ineffective management and crazy employees. I don't really miss it much.

Posted by: Brooke at September 25, 2012 2:29 PM

My office is the only IT office occupied full time in the campus library- located down a STAFF/FACULTY only hallway filled with library Faculty on the third floor. It's a very white square office (to break up the white I have added some of those wall decals- poppies growing up from my base boards- to cheer things up). My office has a huge door and a huge window in said door so I pretty much have NO privacy whether door is open or shut so mostly I keep it open (librarians are in general a quiet bunch- unless they have just been riled up at meeting). i have a good sized bulletin board filled with pictures (60 percent nephew pictures (50 percent of those are OF nephews, 10 percent BY nephews), 30 percent race pictures I took, 10 percent other).
My shelf above my desk showcases my love for NASCAR and Nestle Purelife Orange flavored water. My wall holds a Big Bang Theory calendar, a payroll calendar and a list of the building numbers with their newfangled names.

Posted by: Amy at September 25, 2012 5:13 PM

I am actually quite thankful for a nice office, as office space in my building is iffy. I.E. Some don't have windows. I have a window and my own door (unlike the teaching assistants who mostly have a cubicle in a large room). I have been known to turn out the lights and take a nap, that's how awesome my office is, though some of that is due to the nature of my job as well.

Posted by: claire at September 26, 2012 10:37 AM

I work MWF in the office and Tues-Thurs at home. Home doesn't really have an office, just a desk in the corner of the den, but I don't have a lot of paperwork, so I use the laptop on the couch a lot! The office is a mixed bag - I have a pretty huge office, but it is interior, no window :( Despite the lack of a window - I have great lighting and am on a quiet hall so my door stays open. Am working on getting more personal touches in here :)

Posted by: Sue R at September 26, 2012 11:36 AM

I work for a marketing company here in Seattle called Revolution. 10/9 is my third anniversary, actually! In addition to being just a plain think-it-up office, we produce what we come up with. We have a 10,000SF space and have a couple large printing presses, cutting and shrink wrapping machines, and several other creating-type machines. I am the controller of the company, do all the bookkeeping and financial parts as well as much of the promotional side of the business. It's a fun place to work, we too are like a bar with the low lights and well, a bar in the partners' office. We have another line of business that was started a couple years ago called Bumblejax - check it out, I think you'd like it: www.bumblejax.com - that creates wall art using people's uploaded images. Anywho, that's kind of it in a nutshell!

Posted by: Dianna at September 26, 2012 7:16 PM