October 23, 2012

Eight Days Louise

There are very few things my little family agrees on musically. Beth is practically uncategorizable (if that's a word, which my browser informs me it isn't). She loves equal parts Paul Simon and Pearl Jam and quite a range of things in between. Me, well, I like self-absorbed, complicated progressive rock with dueling keyboard/guitar solos and songs that last a half an hour. Mia likes showtunes and Glee (which, I guess, is showtunes). Owen likes rock and roll.

Pretty much the only thing we can agree on is The Beatles.

In much the same fashion that Mia pretends not to like Star Wars, she claims she doesn't dig The Beatles. But Owen loves The Beatles with a passion. Owen falls asleep to The Beatles every night, courtesy of a playlist I pulled together that contains everything The Fab Four ever released. Better yet, Owen's started learning the words to the entire Beatles back catalog. He started with All You Need Is Love which is his favorite and, with his somewhat wonky speech comes out sounding like All You Need Is Ludge. He believes the first line of Blackbird is Blackbird singing in the Jedi knight and loves all the background melodies of The Beatles' early Capitol Years songs. Last night when I walked in he was singing Eight Days A Week though his version was Eight Days Louise. And honestly, Eight Days Louise is the best band name I've ever heard (aside from Atomic Bitchwax which is, sadly, taken).

I didn't grow up digging The Beatles. I liked them but it wasn't obvious to me then what geniuses they were. It is now. My kids - through their incessant arguing over music and their ability to finally choose something they can agree on - showed me just how fabulous those four were. While they were pretty important in the evolution of popular music, they were even more important in musical peace in my house.

Even if we all get the words wrong. Because it totally should be Strawberry Shields Together.

Posted by Chris at October 23, 2012 7:45 AM
Comments

So great. And now I demand an Owen-ized version of "I am the Walrus" - I'm torn between whether I expect he'd make it even more bizarre, or get all the words more correct than any adult does on the first listen.

Posted by: Jen at October 23, 2012 8:40 AM

Owen's a pretty smart cookie. Let all us old hippies know all the new lyrics to all the songs on the white album!

Posted by: Julee at October 23, 2012 9:37 AM

Posted by: Julee at October 23, 2012 9:37 AM

Fabulous. My hubby's biggest regret is probably not introducing our son to more music, earlier. I barely knew who the Beatles were when I was growing up. I didn't get how brilliant they were until twenty some years ago.

Your kids make me laugh. I love reading about how much they enjoy the simply things.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at October 23, 2012 2:40 PM

Well, ludge IS all you need... When I was young, I preferred their early stuff. When I got to high school, I liked their psychedelic years better. Now I ludge it all.

Posted by: Rachel at October 23, 2012 2:54 PM

When my son was a baby, he would fall asleep to our painful renditions of Hey Jude and All My Loving. His sister shows no such enthusiasm and was oddly comforted by Let it Snow (she is, after all, a November baby). I should re-try the Beatles now that my boy is six and see if he remembers. I once went to an all Beatles wedding (right down to the cake topper). That was lovely!

Posted by: rebeccae at October 24, 2012 11:25 AM

Reminds me of when my nephews were little and hardcore Beatles fans. My older nephew would sit there and listen and write down the lyrics -- this was before everybody had the internet -- and one line from "Yesterday" ended up as "wide she have to go I don't know." I died laughing. (And then set him straight.)

Posted by: Fraulein N at October 25, 2012 9:37 AM