October 1, 2012

On Yer Bike

A while back, I mentioned that I was sick of sitting around and aching (literally) to exercise. Over the past few months I've actually done something about it. Which is surprising because it gets in the way of my precious sitting around time. But, the results are in and I feel better. Go figure.

1. I stopped drinking during the week. Yeah. Me. Look, I don't like it either but I have to admit that I feel a lot better. It's not like I was getting loaded every night but even cutting out the beer or three each evening helped. Those empty calories are gone and I feel great in the morning.

2. I started paying a little more attention to my diet. I've been a vegetarian for 12 years but that doesn't automatically translate into good health (after all, Twinkies are totally vegetarian). First I started tracking calories but that got ridiculous and more than a little annoying. I started cutting out all my main sources of sugar, reduced my snacking and started loading up on water.

3. I got a bike. I loved biking when I was a kid. I was pretty serious about it up until the time I got my license. But a few months back I found the bike I wanted, put it together, and started hitting the road.

4. I gave exercise a shot. Instead of letting my bike sit in the garage where it stayed nice and shiny, I began taking it out on the road. Now, I hop on the treadmill and run a few miles and few times a week and, each weekend, jump on the bike and but a dozen or so miles on it.

This is all about feeling better for me. I'm not overweight and weight loss wasn't my goal. Which is good because I weigh exactly the same as I have for the last several years. But I feel good, not so bleh, if you catch my drift.

What do you do to feel better? Any tips or tricks that I could steal?

Posted by Chris at October 1, 2012 7:34 AM
Comments

I also cut out drinking during the week. I'm (mostly) a vegetarian at breakfast and lunch, and I've drastically reduced the amount of dairy I eat. I've cut back on artificial sweeteners too. And I'm in week 8 of the couch to 5K plan.

Net result so far - down about 10 pounds, feel better, and have virtually eliminated the heartburn that has plagued me since college.

Posted by: COD at October 1, 2012 8:29 AM

Sad to say, I quit the weekday drinking too. Not only do I feel better, but I have lost a little bit of the weight I wanted to lose.

Posted by: Maribeth at October 1, 2012 9:03 AM

I pretty much put a moratorium on the Boy's drinking during the week (only drink when you're drinking with someone else is the rule of thumb). Me, I play outside with little kids. Run around, do the monkey bars. I haven't done it in a bit, since I'm sick. But it always makes me feel younger and more energetic.

Posted by: alektra at October 1, 2012 10:07 AM

You're already on the right track. For me, loads of variety is key. Pilates, yoga, Tai Chi, horseback riding, Couch to 5K, rowing, balance ball, etc... I never get bored, so I never want to slack off. I find a good menu plan that's also delicious to me, and I stick with it, planning my meals out a month in advance.

Posted by: Julee at October 1, 2012 12:23 PM

Eat bacon. Just kidding. I don't eat meat either. Except for fish. I drink maybe once a month. And I walk; I used to run but now I walk: outside. It helps. A lot.

Posted by: dbs at October 1, 2012 11:53 PM

I have lost 12 pounds since August 7. What jump started me was being busy and forgetting to eat breakfast. I quickly lost 6 pounds, realized I was onto something and started watching my carbs.

I have been eating more vegetables and I hike occasionally. I need to get back into walking daily and doing Yoga, regularly.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at October 2, 2012 9:24 PM