October 5, 2012

The Weeklies #231

The Weekly Compliment From A Colleague. "Thank you for always being fantastic." I'm still smiling about that.

The Weekly Muppet. Big Bird

The Weekly Listen. I fell in musical love with Aimee Mann when she did the Magnolia soundtrack. I've dutifully picked up every subsequent release as soon as it makes it to real or virtual shelves. Though I maintain that Lost In Space is her masterpiece and nothing since has come close, I picked up Charmer with hope. It struck me a lot like Green Day's latest did last week. It's good. It's peppy and fun, but Aimee Mann is capable of more. I wanted another mature masterpiece and didn't get it. Still, it's worth picking up. Who knew Aimee Mann and Green Day were so similar.

The Weekly Read. I've read a string of amazingly good books. Jonathan Evison's Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving continued the streak of five star novels. Evison made my blog a few years ago with All About Lulu. It was good but Fundamentals of Caregiving is fantastic. To try and describe what it's about would be to either give it away or make the plot sound ridiculous. I'll spare you that. You should go out and pick up a copy now.

The Weekly Adventure In Social Media. I live-tweeted the presidential debate. While it was a nice idea, it was much like the debate itself. Somewhat slow, lackluster, and forgettable. I'll do it again but I'm going to drink before the next one.

The Weekly Question. Date night's coming. What movie should we see?

Posted by Chris at October 5, 2012 7:28 AM
Comments

Funny thing is, there's almost always a romantic comedy in the theater, except for the times you want to see one on 'date night'. I've heard good reviews of 'Looper', though its a sci-fi/action movie, so not sure if that fits into your 'date night' theme.

Posted by: J at October 5, 2012 9:32 AM

Drinking was the only way I made it through that debate (if that's what you call it). I highly recommend for the next!

I'm interested in The Master (Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix)...it looks really good...I'm hoping to get to see it soon. And Looper looks good too. I'm looking forward to Cloud Atlas and Life of Pi..they come out in the next couple of months.

Happy Weekend!!

Posted by: cyndy at October 5, 2012 9:32 AM

I only have 3 coworkers but we see a lot of clients in and out every week. Years ago, a client came in, then had to call back later that day to give us some info, and when I was done helping her she said "is this the pretty brunette who was at the front desk?" Still makes me smile every time I see her name in our database or her file in the drawer.

And I have to say, you ARE pretty fantastic...

Posted by: Judy at October 5, 2012 12:01 PM

LOOPER!

LOOPER!!

LOOPER!!!

By the way, you should see Looper.

Posted by: Procrastamom at October 5, 2012 12:42 PM

What a fantastic compliment! SO nice.

Big Bird for the win!

I came in to see if you had a book recommendation. And you do. So thanks for that.

I have no idea what you and Beth should see. Personally, Love and I really want to see Halloweenie (my boys have declared themselves "too old" and don't want to.) That's how we roll.

Posted by: Mindy Lee at October 5, 2012 2:39 PM

I liked the tweeting! Do it again! Except audio-tweet! Oh, wait.

At least tweet, ok?

Looper. It sounds awesome.

Posted by: alektra at October 5, 2012 4:03 PM

Pitch Perfect was hilariously wonderful.

Posted by: Poppy at October 6, 2012 12:53 AM

I have literally not seen a grown up movie in a theater since I was pregnant. I don't even know what's out there. I hope you two can find something you like. But even if you don't, Date Night! WooHoo! Enjoy!

Posted by: Annie at October 7, 2012 4:50 PM