November 15, 2012

Galaxies Far Far Away

The past couple of weeks have been crazy. With all the storms, illness, general confusion and extreme busyness, this happened:

Owen will tell you he's the true Star Wars fan of the family but he's wrong. It's Mia. She's just afraid to let her inner geek shine. Truth be told, she can tell you things about Star Wars you never knew. It was Mia who was gung-ho to go to the Smithsonian Air And Space Halloween celebration dressed as Leia. And it was Mia who took great delight in the fact that she was the only Leia we saw who had real hair buns. And it was Mia who had to pose with every Star Wars character we could find.

Don't get me wrong. Owen had fun too, especially when he got into a shoot out with a Stormtrooper. But Mia's our geek. Granted, she's a fashionable, jock kind of geek. But a geek nonetheless.

Posted by Chris at November 15, 2012 7:24 AM
Comments

Let your geek shine, Mia! Be proud of your inner nerdling!

Posted by: Kris H. at November 15, 2012 8:21 AM

So adorable!!!

Posted by: linda at November 15, 2012 8:36 AM

That looks like so much fun! A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (ok, actually it was a galaxy in Silver Spring) I was Princess Leia for Halloween in first grade and also had real hair buns :) I did not get to meet R2D2 though. Lucky Mia! Also, the shootout with the stormtrooper is awfully cute.

Posted by: Hillary at November 15, 2012 9:12 AM

Mia--let your geek shine through! There are too many females who hide their geekiness. There is a line in the Bible that I think is a misprint...it reads "the meek shall inherit the earth"...I truly believe it should read "the geek[s] will inherit the earth"!! (jk) But seriously, the world needs more geek girls, like us!

Posted by: Kristin at November 15, 2012 9:28 AM

Proud Papa!

Posted by: Niki at November 15, 2012 10:01 AM

Good for you Mia!! Let that inner geek out, there aren't nearly enough girls willing to let their true colors shine through!!

Posted by: Kris at November 15, 2012 10:17 AM

I hang my head in shame that I didn't know about this. We totally should have gone. (Great costumes!)

Posted by: lumpyheadsmom at November 15, 2012 2:22 PM

I'm totally a girl. Just look in my closet. But there is a giant box in my basement packed with *my* Star Wars toys. Let's hear it for girls with geek streaks! Own it, Mia. ;-)

Also, very jealous - would have loved to take my kids to this event!

Posted by: kate at November 18, 2012 11:18 AM

Did you see? THEY FOUND THE DEATH STAR. http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/astronomers-spy-a-planet-untethered-to-any-star-there-may-be-many-more/2012/11/17/ff15b274-2e89-11e2-beb2-4b4cf5087636_story.html

Posted by: lumpyheadsmom at November 20, 2012 9:43 AM