November 13, 2012

Division 2012

Please tell my why I have to explain this to my daughter.

I could have dodged the question, ignored the fact that Mia saw this and wanted to know what it was as I showed it to Beth. But I didn't. Instead, I told her the truth. The truth that, a long time ago people owned other people. And then, after they were freed they still weren't free. That they had to ride on different busses and drink from separate water fountains. Then segregation was ended but some resisted. And some still do.

When you put things into a context that children understand, it makes whatever concept you're trying to explain seem ridiculous. Racism is one of those things. My kids aren't conscious of race. Sure, they see the difference but to them it's no big deal. Trying to explain racism is like trying to explain a world without gravity. It's just not something that registers.

I don't think Republicans are inherently racist. I think there are probably more racist Republicans than there are racist Democrats but I'm not labeling an entire political party. My father-in-law and brother-in-law voted for Romney. They're no more racist than Martin Luther King, just fiscal conservatives. But I do think it's interesting that some things haven't changed. Interesting and sad.

Posted by Chris at November 13, 2012 7:11 AM
Comments

I would be foolish to not believe that some of the voting was driven by racism. I am sure it was based on some of the reaction of facebook and twitter I've seen. But it also likely true that there are a fair number of Catholics who did not vote for Romney because he is Mormon.

I think it is more likely that this just shows a difference in values and beliefs throughout the country which haven't really changed much in some parts of the country. Racism may be part of that, but I imagine there is a lot more going on than just racism (e.g. religious beliefs, economic situations, etc.)

Posted by: Kaz at November 13, 2012 8:29 AM

I agree with Kaz, I'm not sure if it's a race thing but more of a cultural attitude in the southern/middle states that was more in line with Romney. These were found with a quick google and I have no clue on the accuracy, but check out these US Maps:

Religiosity of US: http://docshawn.com/2012/07/07/state-rankings-by-religiosity/

Education levels in the US:

Posted by: laurs at November 13, 2012 11:07 AM

More racist Republicans than democrats? Stupid comment, Chris, and beneath you. Show Mia the breakdown by county and then try to make the analogy between slavery/racism and republicans.

Posted by: Pete at November 13, 2012 9:06 PM

Wow. Just wow.

Posted by: dbs at November 14, 2012 1:06 AM

Don't you think there are many people that voted for Obama because of his skin color? I think there are millions of voters that chose their president based solely on that fact and could care less about his policy. Isn't that racism as well?

Posted by: Jenn at November 14, 2012 6:55 AM

Prejudice comes in many shapes and forms. I was raised in an area where there was a cornucopia of races and faiths. I never thought much about prejudice until I was in my 20's and the victim of a racial attack. It was terrible, and I escaped with my life. After that, I admit to being very leery when out walking, and constantly being aware of who I was near.
I never wanted to be prejudice, it just happened. I also have found that many people of the opposite color, are also prejudice against my color.
My niece is Korean. She is more like my sister than my sister's biological kids.
The election was an odd one. Romney was probably not voted for because of being a Mormon, despite the fact that he is a good man. And Obama was not voted for by some because he is half black. (Although some liked him because he is half white)
Good luck explaining this one. I tried to teach my kids not to accept people at face value. She does, and I am glad for it.
People should only be judged for their character.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 14, 2012 11:47 AM