November 27, 2012

The Moderately Rude Jar

Beth and I have breathtaking abilities to curse like sailors. Yet, somehow, we've been able to hide this talent from our children. Wanting your kids to avoid using bad language seems hypocritical and I suppose it is. With our kids, though, we're merely trying to stop them from being rude.

This weekend, Owen called me stupid. I found a mason jar, put it on the counter, and demanded that Owen get me a quarter from his room. He owed me another quarter later in the day when he called his sister a poopoo head. Mia contributed some time later when she told her brother he was a butt.

These are not bad words. We're not talking about a George Carlin standup routine. This is more like Elmo working blue. I know this. Beth and I joked that I hadn't really set up a swear jar, just a moderately rude jar. But I think rude is worse.My kids are allowed to be anything they want to be when they grow up. Except rude.

The other day Mia told me that Owen said the s word which, for a minute, scared the s out of me. I was later informed, to my relief, that Owen had merely said stupid. I realize I don't have a long time before stupid turns to asshole and poopoo head turns to almighty cock nostril but I'll take what I can get.

As long as my kids aren't rude.

It's going to piss me right the fuck off if they turn out to be rude.

Posted by Chris at November 27, 2012 7:15 AM
Comments

Like.

Posted by: Dawn at November 27, 2012 8:45 AM

Keep it up! Rude kids are the worst (I worked in elementary school and have seen it all). They call you and Mia names and before you know it they're calling adults the same because something doesn't go their way.

Posted by: NancyB at November 27, 2012 8:50 AM

LOL... I was the same way raising my kids. I cursed like a sailor, tried not to in front of them, but didn't flinch much when I first heard them swear as they got older. But that time my youngest son at age 5 called his older brother a bad name... I was far less than pleased!

Posted by: Julee at November 27, 2012 8:56 AM

Can I tell you how much I love this post? I'm sooooo glad that you have an issue with and don't want to raise rude kids. It drives me NUTS to be at the playground or in a kid social setting and see little ones being rude to not only other kids but their OWN parents. Kids have to be TAUGHT and shown by example good manners/how not to be rude. Love the jar idea. May have to give that a shot here. Lil Dude pushes boundaries and limits re: being rude. Sometimes it is deliberate and sometimes I think he is just trying to figure things out. No matter what he gets called out.

Posted by: Mutt at November 27, 2012 10:45 AM

Complete love this post! We are exactly the same! No rude kid in our house! curse like a sailor when you grow up, but don't you dare ever be rude!!

Posted by: cyndy at November 27, 2012 12:49 PM

One time my stepdaughter came to tell me her brother had used the c-word. The kids are teens now but that was a couple years ago, and I stood there wondering where D had ever heard the word cunt and how did he know it was offensive to call a girl that? Turns out the c-word was "crap". Phew.

Posted by: Brooke at November 27, 2012 3:01 PM

We are not quite there yet with the 'rude jar'(girls have only just turned 3) but I can't stand rude kids. If they show a little attitude, (like all 3yos do) they are pulled up for it. I'm with you Chris, they can grow up and be what ever they want but if they are rude - by jingos they had better watch out!

Posted by: Twinsane_Mum at November 27, 2012 4:03 PM

I'm just laughing, remembering my favorite dad line:

"Don't fuckin' swear!"

Posted by: alektra at November 27, 2012 4:49 PM

fuck, i SO relate.

Posted by: kati at November 27, 2012 8:19 PM

HA!! I agree. I don't care if my kids grow up to be presidents (altho, I'm not sure I could handle that kind of stress) or astronauts, or Justin Beaver's wife (well, maybe THAT would bother me) or a secretary, or a mom. But I DO want them to be polite. I want nice astronauts in my family. Not the kind that people hope will be stuck on Mars forever...

Posted by: Kim at November 28, 2012 8:26 AM