November 30, 2012

The Weeklies 238

The Weekly Color. Red. Because why the fuck not?

The Weekly Beverage. Vitamin Water Essential Orange.

The Weekly Music. Led Zeppelin was the third band I fell in love with. I remember wanting to play big Gibson sunburst guitars like Jimmy Page and belting out high-pitched wails like Robert Plant. New Zeppelin releases don't hit the street every day. Despite having a crappy sounding bootleg copy of the concert as well as having heard the rehearsals leading up to the 2007 reunion concert from which Celebration Day was taken, I cringed a little bit when I put the new release on. The fact of the matter is that Led Zeppelin sounds a little weak when they kick off their set with Good Times, Bad Times. Call it nerves or lack of practice or just sheer age, they get off to a shaky start. Robert Plant sounds good but John Paul Jones' bass is a bit scattered and Jimmy Page's guitar work sounds stiff and over processed. The good news is that they get better. A lot better. There are moments during Celebration Day that sound like the band's been playing those songs every day since their breakup in 1980. Because of his recent solo output that highlighted the changes to his voice brought about by age or years of screaming, there were concerns that Plant wouldn't be able to perform well vocally but those fears prove totally unfounded. I was frankly shocked that he hit some of the notes he did. He can still wail. Jimmy Page loosened up, eased back the guitar effects and processing, and fell into a good groove. John Paul Jones' bass work hit its stride and he sounded wonderful doing double duty on keyboards as well. Most admirably, Jason Bonham filled his dad's shoes quite well. There were moments when I could swear it was the elder Bonham hitting the skins. There was a lot of talk about a full reunion tour that Robert Plant eventually sidelined completely. And that's probably okay. A fantastic one night performance here is better than a touring nostalgia act. But listening to this recaptures some of the magic.

The Weekly Read. Like any of the half-dozen Ed McBain books I've picked up over the last year, Ax doesn't disappoint. As with his other 87th Precinct novels, it's brief, spare, straight to the point, and incredibly well-written. I wouldn't consider this the best he's written as it lacked some of McBain's usual dark humor and social criticism, but it was well done.

The Weekly Television. American Horror Story will fuck you up. Beth and I are watching the first season. I'ts insane. I might have had a minor panic attack after the episode we watched Wednesday night.

The Weekly Example That I'm A Glutton For Punishment. Between the aforementioned American Horror Story, new episodes of The Walking Dead, and the zombie book I'm reading, it's a wonder I'm managing to get any sleep at all.

The Weekly Word. Biblioklept.

The Weekly Question. Have you started your holiday shopping yet?

Posted by Chris at November 30, 2012 7:12 AM
Comments

Started??? I'm almost done and plan on starting to wrap tonite. Ha

Posted by: Dawn at November 30, 2012 8:35 AM

Loved Season 1 of AHS...season 2 doesn't live up..I stopped watching, just got too weird and not in an entertaining way.

Posted by: Lisa at November 30, 2012 8:38 AM

Speaking as an old hippie freak type person, I agree on Jason Bonham. Sometimes he gives me chills, he sounds so much like his dad. Shopping? I learned to knit and crochet this past year like any other good, self-respecting grandmother. Everyone's getting homemade stuff this year. So no shopping - unless yarn counts, in which case, I'm done!

Posted by: Julee at November 30, 2012 8:59 AM

Shut up! Christmas shopping?? Ha! Haven't even thought about it yet, much less started!

AHS - first season rocked my world...second season is weird, I almost gave up on it, but two episodes ago it sucked me back in...it's still weird and I'm not sure as good as season one, but Jessica Lange floors me. And I still can not watch the opening credits...first season one gave me nightmares, second season I won't even watch! Just creepy!

Posted by: cyndy at November 30, 2012 9:08 AM

ooh, what zombie novel are you reading? I'm a sucker for a good zombie novel.

I bought my mom and my brother one book each for Christmas, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Posted by: Hillary at November 30, 2012 9:12 AM

Have you heard Robert Plant's Band of Joy? That is proof positive that his voice is still going-it helps that he has an amazing backing band (personal fave is Darrell Scott-probably not your style as he is a singer/songwriter type but the man can write, play, sing, collaborate). Also Robert Plant likes good beer. He visited Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware yesterday. I'm sure you're acquainted with their beers. Some of the best craft brews available and great business model to boot. Ok, I sound like a commercial so signing off....

Posted by: amyd at November 30, 2012 10:05 AM

I rarely comment, but I am so proud of myself for starting my shopping early that I just have to brag. Three exellent (if I do say) gifts purchased and it isn't even December! The rest of my list may wait 'til the last minute, but I have begun!

Posted by: Melissa at November 30, 2012 10:54 AM

I'm almost done shopping. I've never done it like this before and it's fantastic! Now I can spend December eating cookies and drinking beer, right?

Posted by: akofaolain at November 30, 2012 11:07 AM

I loooove zombie novels! Which one are you reading?

Posted by: Holly at November 30, 2012 11:11 AM

Except for my 5 year godson who I am taking shopping, I am done shopping. I am also done wrapping everything that has already come. However, decorating has barely happened. Black Friday crowds may suck, but I did all my shopping in one day!

Posted by: Kristin at November 30, 2012 1:40 PM

I, too, cannot watch the AHS intro credits and this season is WAY creepier than this first. But Jessica Lange, man, she rocks every single scene she's in. Some of the best acting I've ever seen. They should give her every possible award she's eligible for and call it a day.

Posted by: Lovey at November 30, 2012 2:07 PM

Some accidental shopping when my BFF was in town then some intentional shopping on Cyber Monday, but nowhere near done.

Posted by: Poppy at November 30, 2012 8:59 PM

What holiday?

Posted by: That Girl at December 2, 2012 12:37 PM

Nearly done.

Posted by: alektra at December 2, 2012 4:52 PM

I watched American Horror Story season 1 on DVD in one marathon sitting and my jaw hit the floor 28 times (maybe 29).

Posted by: dbs at December 2, 2012 10:33 PM