November 6, 2012

Why I Am Voting For President Obama

Today after what feels like the longest, most vicious election season ever, I will cast my vote for Barack Obama. After today the robocalls will stop ringing, the signs will be taken down, and the political commercials will end. But what will we be left with in the election's wake? Four more years of the Obama presidency, I hope. Why?

It's my responsibility - as a person and a citizen - to do my part to make sure children are educated, the poor don't starve in the streets and those who served our country are repaid the debt they're owed.

No adult or child should lose their financial future because they got sick and didn't have insurance.

The troops must come home.

More effort must be put into seeking peace than making war.

Change is hard and not something that can happen in four years.

A leader shouldn't be blamed for the mistakes of his predecessor.

The American dream isn't the exclusive domain of the rich.

Tough problems - ones fundamental to our society and it's future - deserve solutions, not bandaids that kick the problem further down the road for another generation to deal with.

Climate change exists and energy alternatives must be found. And that requires investment. Now.

A society that doesn't collectively look after it's people isn't a society. It's a failure.

No one truly interested in reducing government and putting more decisions in the hands of the people can simultaneously want decision-making power over a woman's right to make her own reproductive decisions.

I realize that my points of view are fundamentally idealistic. But one of the things in which we should invest our ideals is our country. Regardless of your ideals, make sure to get out and vote.

Posted by Chris at November 6, 2012 7:52 AM
Comments

Well said.

Posted by: Carolyn at November 6, 2012 8:06 AM

Hope it all turns out well! Of course, in my opinion that means Obama wins. I just don't understand why a person would vote Republican.

I also don't understand how votes are counted in your country. Is each state either democrat or republican? Or can the electoral colleges within each state be divided?

Posted by: Heather at November 6, 2012 8:21 AM

Posted by: Heather at November 6, 2012 8:21 AM

Yes. Very well said. President Obama has my vote for another 4 years. I am seriously afraid of Mitt Romney and what havoc he will bring upon the *not rich* people of my beloved country.

Posted by: 3jaysmom at November 6, 2012 8:31 AM

"A society that doesn't collectively look after its people isn't a society; it's a failure."

That's it. My entire political philosophy summed up and the end note in so many of the discussions I have had this year about the election. Nevada has become a swing state and I will not miss the calls and doorknockers. Love the process, hate the infusion of outside money and outside interests trying to buy my vote. Four more years, please.

Posted by: rebecca at November 6, 2012 8:52 AM

Hear, hear!

Posted by: Martin at November 6, 2012 10:22 AM

Right on, Cactus. I can't imagine what our world will be like if Romney/Ryan win.

Posted by: Liz at November 6, 2012 10:57 AM

(apologies in advance to your parents and in-laws, but...)

FUCKIN'-A, CHRIS!
Well said, man.

Posted by: RzDrms at November 6, 2012 11:25 AM

Its been a weird couple of years for me. I usually vote republican but I just didnt like any of the republican candidates. The abortion thing never got my vote because I feel its none of anyone else's business but mine. Can't like everything a candidate stands for but pick the least offesive has been my motto. This year, I just couldnt find my way to vote with the republicans. I think Mitt will be the biggest mistake this country has ever made. I feel like he will win but I am not voting for him. I am voting for Obama this year for one reason, I want something more done with health care.

Posted by: linda at November 6, 2012 1:29 PM

Thank you! Very well said! I agree totally.

Posted by: Kristin at November 6, 2012 3:22 PM

Right on! Frankly, Mitt(ens) is scary to me because he never had any specific answers to the hard questions/issues. That, and the fact that he thinks women belong stuck back in 1950's... or in a binder. Oh, and that whole thing about not caring about the *not rich* portion of the general public really strikes a nerve with me.

I could go on and on and on, but your statements in this post are exactly what I'm thinking, but say only to my husband, because I despise talking politics to anyone else.

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words!

Posted by: Gina at November 6, 2012 4:33 PM