December 15, 2012
Facts About My Music Collection
Over the last few days, I've been trying to get my music collection in order. And in doing so, I've noticed a few interesting things.
- The earliest records of musical expression are to be found in the Sama Veda of India and in 4,000 year old cuneiform from Ur. My music collection contains none of these.
- Instead it sports a whopping 4,183 albums - or 46,499 songs - that would take me 153.3 days to listen to.
- The most well-represented artist in my collection is Pearl Jam with 1,929 songs. Coming in second is Genesis with 1,209 songs.
- The longest song is The Whirlwind by Transatlantic which clocks in at 1 hour, 19 minutes and 52 seconds. The shortest is Ikea By Night by The Flower Kings which lasts just about 4 seconds.
- The worst album ever made is The Transformed Man by the great William Shatner is actually the worst. Followed closely by Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock's Music From Outer Space. Yes, I own them both. Shut up. I'm not proud of it.
- The worst song I own is called Taste Of My Love by Emerson, Lake and Palmer off their album Love Beach. I think you can all guess what it's about. The fact that the whole thing is driven by cheesy synthesizers only makes it worse.
- The word that most frequently appears in song titles is you (4,497) followed by love (2,061). Angel (505) and girl (423) make a pretty good showing. Of course all these take a backseat to the which I couldn't count in good conscience. There were 21,494 thes in my collection.
- Even the most obscure letters of the alphabet are represented. There are two artists that begin with X (XTC and XYZ), six that begin with Q and two that begin with Z.
And there you go.Posted by Chris at December 15, 2012 8:03 AM