December 10, 2012

I Heart NYC

For those of you playing Cactus-Fish: The Home Game, checking all your social media outlets and noting my absence last Thursday and Friday, I have an explanation. Beth and I went to New York City for a long weekend. After all, it was my fortieth birthday. Go big or go home. Or something like that.

We took the train up to New York on Thursday morning, slipped into the city unannounced, checked into our hotel and hit the town. We had three of the finest dinners ever, wandered around the city in the cold drizzle, and saw a couple of pretty decent shows. We visited the World Trade Center memorial - sobering at the very least - walked through Chelsea Market, checked out store windows at stores we could never afford - or want - to shop in. We saw proposals at Rockefeller Center and fell in love with Bryant Park again. We got lost in the Met, saw Snoop Dogg, hung with Batman, fought the crowds at Macy's and walked the entirety of the High Line. It was brief, exhausting and wonderful.

And of course being bloggers to the core, we live-blogged the whole trip for the kids who stayed home with grandparents. I snapped shots, instagrammed them and uploaded them in real time. And though I knew they weren't waiting around, hanging on my every pixel, it was pretty fantastic being able to share the trip with them.

There is no other city quite like New York. And of all the cities I've visited in my life, I'm pretty sure it's my favorite. I owe a pretty big thanks to Beth for setting the whole trip up. She's the best, most fun traveling companion ever.

Posted by Chris at December 10, 2012 7:18 AM
Comments

Glad you guys had fun!! random but gotta ask....where did you see Snoop?

Posted by: Niki at December 10, 2012 1:04 PM

My husband and I are heading there on Thursday for our annual pre-christmas overnight. We'll be heading to Bryant Park's Holiday Fair and the one at Vanderbilt Hall in Grand Central (did you get there? I tweeted you!)
High Line is on the list (have the map) for us too.
Where did you have dinner? I'm still searching for options!
Glad you had a good time!

Posted by: NancyB at December 10, 2012 2:58 PM

Glad to hear you had a good time! My husband and I will be there Thursday and Friday for our annual pre-christmas overnight. Bryant Park and the Highline are on our list.
Where did you eat? I'm still checking out restaurant options.

Posted by: NancyB at December 10, 2012 3:02 PM

Glad you had a chance to get away for a few days! As far as NYC being your favorite city...have you ever been to New Orleans? Seriously, NYC can't compare.

Also, looking forward to your reviews on Green Day's Dos and Tre'.....

Posted by: Lisa at December 11, 2012 8:10 AM

Costumes On Sale

Posted by: sunny at December 11, 2012 10:16 PM

What a fabulous way to spend your 40th.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at December 13, 2012 6:31 PM