December 21, 2012

The Yearlies (2012)

The Yearly Podcast: The Mike O'Meara Show

The Yearly Tragedy: Hurricane Sandy and the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting

The Yearly Top 5 Beers:
- Two Hearted Ale (Bell's)
- 60 Minute IPA (Dogfish Head)
- Torpedo (Sierra Nevada)
- Northern Lights (Starr Hill)
- 48th Parallel (Sam Adams)

The Yearly Heroes: Teachers everywhere but, specifically, every teacher who hauled every kid to safety at Sandy Hook.

The Yearly Villain: Westboro Baptist Church and all who support them.

The Yearly Top 5 Books:
- The Wool Series (Hugh Howey)
- Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn)
- The Search for Wondla (Tony DiTerizzi)
- The Revised Fundamentals Of Caregiving (Jonathan Evison)
- One Last Thing Before I Go (Jonathan Tropper)

The Yearly Worst Book: Driven (James Sallis)

The Yearly Favorite People: Beth, Mia, Owen, Barack Obama, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Robert Plant.

The Yearly Fear: The fiscal cliff.

The Yearly Top 5 Albums:
- Celebration Day (Led Zeppelin)
- Momentum (Neal Morse)
- Fog Electric (North Atlantic Oscillation)
- Flying Colors (Flying Colors)
- The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy (Nada Surf)

The Yearly Worst Album: Music From Another Dimension (Aerosmith)

The Yearly Getaway: New York City.

The Yearly Top 5 Shows:
- Breaking Bad
- The Walking Dead
- American Horror Story
- Mad Men
- The Booth At The End

The Yearly Worst TV Show: Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo

The Yearly Event. I turned 40. Surely that's worth noting.

The Yearly Extreme Home Makeover: Our kitchen, shiny and new.

What are your yearlies?

Posted by Chris at December 21, 2012 7:53 AM
Comments

Wow. No Dogfish Head in top 5 beers, eh..?

Posted by: Kaz at December 21, 2012 9:53 AM

Great list! One question - While I agree that Gone Girl was a fantastic book, were you really OK with the ending? I don't want to give away too much for people who haven't read it yet! I have recommended it to so many people. But, I didn't like the ending.

Posted by: Winna at December 21, 2012 10:23 AM

40 is the best. #noonecantellyouwhattodoanymore

Posted by: dbs at December 22, 2012 5:42 PM

Condition of the Year: Pregnancy!

Biggest flip: Being really unhappy at my job to being really, really happy at my job!

Year of Vacation: Argentina, Uruguay, Hawaii + 13 states and 8 provinces. Epic.

Ailment of the year: nausea!

Expected happiness: the world didn't end!

Tragedy: I agree and have to add the batman shootings.

Posted by: Heather at December 23, 2012 2:02 AM

Condition of the Year: Pregnancy!

Year of Vacation: Argentina, Uruguay, Hawaii + 13 states and 8 provinces. Epic.

Ailment of the year: nausea!

Expected happiness: the world didn't end!

Tragedy: I agree and have to add the batman shootings.

Posted by: Heather at December 23, 2012 2:02 AM

Condition of the Year: Pregnancy!

Year of Vacation: Argentina, Uruguay, Hawaii + 13 states and 8 provinces. Epic.

Ailment of the year: nausea!

Expected happiness: the world didn't end!

Tragedy: I agree and have to add the batman shootings.

Posted by: Heather at December 23, 2012 2:02 AM

I feel like I have been in a fog since the Connecticut shootings. I live 10 miles from the Aurora, Colorado shooting. Last week, we saw Lincoln. First time, we had been at the movies since the shooting.

What we did this year is a blur and doesn't seem that important. I can't stop thinking about the suffering these families are enduring and I haven't watched hardly any of the coverage. My heart can't take it.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at December 24, 2012 11:04 PM