January 15, 2013

The Long Haul

I just celebrated an anniversary of sorts. I've been working at the same place for eleven years.

Eleven years seems like a really long time. Eleven years ago I was practically a newlywed. We lived in a little town house and had all three levels to ourselves. Kids hadn't yet entered the picture. Like now, the economy was in a little trouble and I'd found myself looking for a gig after getting laid off. So, eleven years is a long time and things were very different when I started this job.

All that said, I'm lucky. My job allows me a great deal of flexibility both in terms of how I work and what I work on. It's rarely dull and if it is I'm probably doing it wrong.

How long have you been doing what you're doing? And is it what you want to do forever?

Posted by Chris at January 15, 2013 7:36 AM
Comments

I'll be at my current job 13 years in August. Before that I bounced around, never stayed anywhere longer than 2 years. It's not my dream job, but I have no complaints. Great environment, good co-workers. Pay sucks, but can;t bet the benefits.

I'll stay here until I retire or they kick me out...

Posted by: Lisa at January 15, 2013 8:12 AM

I've been building websites and ad campaigns for the past 8 years. I've worked at different places, mind you, but done the same thing. At the end of this month, I'll celebrate my two year anniversary with my current company.

It's not what I love. Or maybe it's that I love what I do, but I don't love the conditions under which I do it. The deadlines are too tight, account managers think of you as their slave instead of their partner -- it's just kind of gross. But working here pays me more than I've ever made before, and my commute is a measly 20 minutes (sans freeway). And on my team? There are some people that I'm just totally in love with. So for now -- the good outweighs the bad (most days).

This is most certainly not what I want to do forever as a profession. I'd love to be a long-arm quilter. Or work at the library.

Posted by: Emily at January 15, 2013 8:29 AM

I have been at my job for 21 years, different jobs though as I have moved up.

Posted by: linda at January 15, 2013 8:34 AM

I worked for the same company for a little more than 10 years before I got laid off, a little more than 3 years ago.
I looked around for a while, but with the field I'm in, the jobs were very few and companies could afford to be "picky" (ie. paying people with a Masters $15/hr).
So I found a niche market within my field and started my own business. It has it's Pros & Cons but it's better than what I was doing before.
Is it what I want to do forever? Hell no. That would be sitting beside a pool with a drink & a book somewhere in driving distance of Vegas...

Posted by: Jenny at January 15, 2013 8:37 AM

I've been with my corporation for 22 years, though like Linda, I've done different jobs and moved up the ladder. I don't see myself doing this forever; just until retirement. :)

Posted by: J at January 15, 2013 8:54 AM

17.5 years - got recruited by my company right out of college. Been in the same department doing the same stuff all this time because I love the work! Hubs has been at the same company doing the same thing he loves for 18 years.

Posted by: Iowa Laurie at January 15, 2013 9:59 AM

This year, in March, I'll have been working at the same company for 7 years. That is the longest I've been at one Company...The last company I worked for I had been there for a little over 5 years when they laid me off.

All the places I have worked for, I've made it to 4 or 5 years before I was either laid off or I decided it was time to move on, usually because I think I just got bored doing the same thing with no chance of moving up (those were all small companies, under 15 people.

My current position...I guess I like it. There are days I LOVE it and days I HATE it. I like the people I work with, there is very little or no office politics (I LOATHE office politics), I can work from home when I need to and there is a degree of flexibility I haven't quite, after 7 years, gotten used to! Do I think I'll be here forever...quite possibly. I think sometimes that at some point I may just try selling my crafty stuff and if I can make a go at it, quit and start a small business of my own. But then I come back to earth! ;-)

Posted by: cyndy at January 15, 2013 10:15 AM

I just hit 5 years with this place. I did 2 at the previous one, and 6 years at the one before that. I've never left because I hated the people or the work so I'm fortunate. I feel the same at this job. I love the people and work and will continue to do it as long as they let me (or until someone comes along and makes me an offer I can't refuse, which isn't likely soon). I know I'm lucky that way.

I hear the standard these days is about 5 years. Now that I'm 100% comfortable in my job, I'd just prefer to keep it this way and gain happiness from home life. I don't need to climb mountains at work, when I can do so outside of work.

Posted by: Brad at January 15, 2013 12:00 PM

10 years. I just got back from a sabbatical yes a sabbatical. Company gives you a 100hrs and you take a 100rs of pto. Which is 5 weeks. I get one in another 5 yrs. Not much room for growth but my position evolves all the time and it has developed into something I like doing. so probably until I get kicked out

Posted by: charlene at January 15, 2013 3:44 PM

Posted by: charlene at January 15, 2013 3:44 PM

I've been at my job for 14 years. It's definitely not what I want to do forever, but it's great because I work part-time and have decent bosses. I'll stay as long as they let me, I think.

Posted by: akofaolain at January 16, 2013 10:27 AM