January 11, 2013

The Weeklies #241

The Weekly Sign The Holidays Are Gone. We undecorated. I love the holidays but I can't tell you how nuts it makes me feel to have our living room completed rearranged.

The Weekly Evidence of Global Warming. It's January and there are stink bugs flying around.

The Weekly Vehicle. A wagon. Or, rather, the wagon. I decided to take a break from week-day drinking and, while I miss my beer, I feel totally different. In a good way. Who knew. This is a sure sign I'm getting old.

The Weekly Read. Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ranson Riggs was simply brilliant. I loved it a little more than I thought I would. It was actually quite wonderful, this burrito of suspense, thrills, horror, fantasy, mystery and literary fiction. It was, perhaps, a little more fantasy than I'd anticipated. I'm not a fantasy guy but the way it was executed was pretty damn wonderful. Pairing the story with bizarre - and real - photographs heightened the creepiness and also made for welcome glimpse into the surreal. Highly recommended.

The Weekly Book Spree. Armed with a couple of Amazon gift cards, I went kinda nuts this week downloading books. I'm pretty much set for, like, the next couple of years.

The Weekly Music. Owen made me download Copacabana after I'd been humming it around the house. Seriously. He wouldn't let it go until I downloaded the fucking thing so I did and then we danced around his room signing the song. He now knows all the words yet I'm the one stuck with Barry Fucking Manilow on my phone. And in my head. Make it stop!

The Weekly Question. So, whatcha got planned for the weekend?

Posted by Chris at January 11, 2013 7:20 AM
Comments

You could download "Mandy" and Owen would have the boxed set!!!

Posted by: Dawn at January 11, 2013 8:48 AM

I loved Miss Peregrine's! Glad to see your review as it is exactly what I would have said! I wouldn't mind seeing more from this author.

Barry is da man! Good to see Owen has a well rounded love of music! ;-)

This weekend? Relaxation. And exercise. Really! Have a good one Cactus Family!

Posted by: cyndy at January 11, 2013 9:44 AM

another +1 for Miss Peregrine's.. can't wait for the sequel to come out.

I also agree... I was a bit thrown when the story went from a weird yet interesting tale to more of a fantasy tale, but I found I didn't mind it as much as I thought I might.

Posted by: Kaz at January 11, 2013 11:03 AM

Seriously, I have cats named Lola and Rico. She was a showgirl, you know. With feathers in her hair....

Posted by: Amy at January 11, 2013 12:13 PM

...and a dress cut down to there. She would merengue and do the cha-cha...

Oh, god, it's in my head now!

Posted by: James Proffitt at January 11, 2013 12:38 PM

I think I'll have a baby :)

Posted by: Heather at January 11, 2013 8:59 PM

The very first record I ever bought was Barry Manilow. My sister and I chipped in and bought the double album greatest hits. I still know all the words.

My weekend plans got shifted so I think I'm mainly going to tidy up the house and relax with my wee man.

Posted by: Annie at January 12, 2013 7:44 PM