January 18, 2013

The Weeklies #242

The Weekly Beverage. Vitamin Water Power C.

The Weekly Food I Love. Black eyed peas. Hate the band, love the food.

The Weekly Food I Don't Understand. Blue cheese.

The Weekly Bad TV. If you follow me on Facebook, you'll know that I expressed my distate for Portlandia earlier in the week. Sure, we only watched one episode but that was enough. I get the joke and I get why it should be funny...but it wasn't. Frankly the only good thing about it was seeing Steve Buscemi who is rapidly turning into a twin of director John Waters.

The Weekly Good TV. We bit the bullet and watched the first episode of the rebooted Sherlock Holmes. Sheer awesomeness.

The Weekly Read. The Silver Linings Playbook was a novel before it was transformed into an award-winning movie. While I haven't seen the movie, I've read the book. And it's pretty darn good. I'm not sure it lives up to the five star reviews and inevitably hype, but it's a well-written story with great characters and a compelling tale that's hard not to love.

The Weekly TMI Evidence It's Been A Long Week And Will Be A Long Day. My underwear's on backwards.

The Weekly Internet Hilarity. Lousy Book Covers catalogs some of the worst self-public book covers around. And there are some really, really bad ones.

The Weekly Question. President Obama's gun control initiatives - too far or not far enough?

Posted by Chris at January 18, 2013 7:36 AM
Comments

I have also tried to like Portlandia. And I'll admit it has its funny moments, but they just aren't funny enough. I do, however, love Sherlock. Now if only they would do a season that was more than three episodes long!

Posted by: Hillary at January 18, 2013 8:44 AM

Was this Sherlock BBC version or the Lucy Liu watson one? We've recently taken in the BBC one thanks to the iTunes free episode over the holidays. It's really terrific. Haven't seen the other one yet. Great characters all around.

Posted by: Martin at January 18, 2013 9:41 AM

Blue cheese baffles me also.
Your underwear predicament is more amusing to me than it probably should be.
And from what I know about the gun control thing, it's a step in the right direction.

Posted by: Heather at January 18, 2013 2:24 PM

I really appreciate that your underwear IS on backwards. As in, not "WAS, and I fixed it." But "I know it. And I left it." Awersome.

Posted by: Heidi at January 18, 2013 4:04 PM

I've watched Portlandia with someone who once lived in Portland - he was more amused than I was. Sooo... I'm hearing you there.

Silver Linings Playbook - I'm not sure i found the movie Oscar/Golden Globe worthy, so I'm kinda curious about the book. I'll have to check it out.

Gun control initiatives... Actually, not far enough - but, I think I understand why he might have gone that route. From what I understand of the initiatives, there's really not much to complain about and yet... It's a first step. I think it's a decent one.

Posted by: Sarah at January 18, 2013 8:01 PM

I watched Portlandia and thought the exact same thing :)

Posted by: Alejandra at January 19, 2013 10:14 PM