February 26, 2013

Connected

When I posted last week about my family being stuck in decades past I deliberately excluded myself because I am, by far, the most wired person in the house. I own and regularly rely on an iPhone, iPad and MacBook for my digital consumption. My newsfeeds are synced, email arrives on each and I can pick up a podcast on one device where I left it on another. My Roku and Apple TV delivers TV and movies, my HD antenna brings me network TV and Vonage and Skype let me talk to people. My home and car stereos let me stream tunes via Bluetooth and my home video library streams anywhere I go.

All that said, I'm not sure I see exactly how this is possible:

If you have a smartphone, you may have felt the embarrassment of sending a private message to the wrong person or having autocorrect fail you at just the wrong time.
But some people experience a different kind of messaging mishap, one they may not even remember doing. And no, they're not drunk-dialing.

They're sleep-texting.

While hard data is lacking on this cultural trend, the anecdotal evidence has been mounting over the past few years. Twitter users regularly recount the loopy messages they've sent with the hashtag #sleeptexting. "There are texts sent from my phone at 5am that I do not recall sending," said one tweet. Another said, "I should stop sleeping next to my phone."

Really? I can barely text before 9:00 AM even with a couple cups of coffee. I have a hard time believe that sleep-texting is a real thing. And if it is, we're way too connected. Yes, even I would call that too connected.

How connected are you?

Posted by Chris at February 26, 2013 7:28 AM
Comments

The same. I gave up a ton of iPhone apps for Lent. No joke.

Posted by: alektra at February 26, 2013 10:54 AM

My daughter does this all too constantly with her friends. It's due to the fact that she gets comfy in bed texting, and then falls asleep - sometimes mid-text! It's made for some very funny stories the next morning. Definitely a younger generation than you, but pretty well connected, nonetheless.

Posted by: Donna Young at February 26, 2013 12:06 PM

Who would ever have thought we'd be concerned about being overly connected? But we are. Too connected.

I gave up Twitter for Lent. No joke, either.

Posted by: Jennifer at February 26, 2013 3:58 PM

Apparently, I'm precisely as connected as you (except I don't have a Roku box). However, I've never "sleep texted". I have posted to Facebook at all hours of the day and night, and I always read them very carefully before posting. Not sure how one accidentally sends a text while unconscious.

Posted by: Brooke at February 27, 2013 12:52 PM

When I moved to the house I live in now, the outlets in my bedroom were too far away from my nightstands, so I bought a 10 foot power cord for my iPhone. Mistake. HUGE. EPIC. Because now I can text/play games/whatever from bed while plugged in. And I do find myself texting at odd hours of the night. It can't be good that I sleep next to my phone. On many levels!

Posted by: Erin at February 27, 2013 1:09 PM

I'm not as wired in as Chris.

I feel guilty for all the time that I spend surfing, checking my e-mail and such on my cell.

My guys have Ipads, I have a MacBook Air, we have 3 other Macs in the home, 2 Iphones, and Netflix.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at February 28, 2013 9:33 AM