February 28, 2013

Failing Fathers

If you've been anywhere close to a newspaper, the internet or television in the last several months, you know the word of the day is sequestration. It's an ugly word and its consequences are even uglier, especially if you work for the government or live in the DC area.

What does it mean? That automatic spending cuts go into effect at midnight, drastically reducing spending, furloughing government employees, and crippling certain government functions.

What does it really mean? That congress couldn't get its shit together and act like a group of grownups for a change.

I'm an eternal optimist. I desperately want to believe in the best of people and often do to a fault. But I think it's time that I give up on Congress because they don't get it.

I'm convinced that if our Founding Fathers caught a glimpse of the evening news they'd be horrified. Justifiably so. Instead of serving the people, acting as our representatives, they're more concerned with money, fame, ego and grandstanding. As a result, quite a few people are going to wake up tomorrow morning with an unprecedented degree of uncertainty.

Posted by Chris at February 28, 2013 7:16 AM
Comments

If they worked in the private sector and were constantly fighting and refused to come to an agreement, they'd be fired. Something needs to be done because the system is definitely broken.

Posted by: Carolyn at February 28, 2013 8:38 AM

I agree with Carolyn. They are incapable of doing their job, fire them. This is unacceptable! There is no other job in the world that you can be completely incompetent and keep your job and all its perks and benefits. OUTRAGED is an understatement.

I hope everyone remember this when each of these ass hats comes up for re-election.

Posted by: Lisa at February 28, 2013 8:59 AM

I agree, but unfortunately most people never want to fire the representatives and senators that serve in their districts.

I hope this gets resolved today, but I'm not counting on it.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at February 28, 2013 9:28 AM

I think my husband has the right idea...lock them all in with just bread and water, no paychecks, no phones, and let them work it out. The door gets unlocked and people get out when the budget is balanced...or at least a plan is in place.

Someone needs to remind them that they are working for ALL of their constituents, not just themselves and those that line their pockets and fund their campaigns!

Posted by: Kristin at February 28, 2013 9:45 AM

I agree, Chris. When I read American history, I get all, "I should run for office and change the world!" But then I see Congress rolling how they roll and I'm ashamed. Political parties have become so institutionalized. It's depressing.

Posted by: Brooke at February 28, 2013 9:52 AM

Seriously, the budget shouldn't be in the hands of those who don't know anything but greed. There are SOME individuals who are decent people representing the United States, but where the hell are they right now?

Thanks for putting us in another tailspin, Congress. Economic downturn? Yep, thought so.

Posted by: alektra at February 28, 2013 10:39 AM

On The Media had a blurb where they interviewed a historian about how the current congress compares with others of the past. His statement was "not counting the Civil War, this is the worst".

Posted by: Lisa at February 28, 2013 11:31 AM

Love and I had a date last night, and during and as part of our date, we drafted emails that we sent to Speaker of the House Boehner and our congressman.

We're pissed.

We don't work or live near D.C.

We live on the other side of the country.

Nevertheless, we, and every other American, is going to be affected by this.

How do you feel about your current food prices? How would you feel with them being higher due to the cut to the FDA and USDA?

How do you feel about airfare prices and schedules? How would you feel with them being higher due to reduced traffic controllers, numbers of flights per time allowed, and slowdown of the FDA?

How do you feel about your National Parks and services? How do you feel about your access being further restricted, and prices going up?

Are you sick? Do you have a sick family member? How do you feel about research and approval being slowed due to cuts to research and the FDA?

Are you a business owner or an entrepreneuer? How do you feel about copyright and patent fees increasing, and the time it takes to receive such thinks increasing, as well? Fast trade for a trademark is 9 months. It will probably take a year.

Are you a parent? Got a kid in a public school or heading to college? How do you feel about your kids' school budget being cut? How do you feel about less aid being available to your kid?

Got a parent or family member or loved one dependent on social security or disability? What is this going to mean to them? If it means something to them - will it affect you?

Live in a town with a military base on it? This is going to affect your town, and trickle down affect, you.

THIS. AFFECTS. EVERYONE. And instead of Americans being told that, and going "wait just a damned minute!" most Americans are thinking "this doesn't affect me!"

Yeah. It does. So do something about it, damn it. Write an email. Pick up the phone. Make noise! Do it NOW!

Posted by: Mindy at February 28, 2013 5:00 PM