February 5, 2013

We Bought A Fucking Minivan

The title about sums it up.

Wait, you want more?

Until last week Beth drove a wonderfully reliable 10 year old Honda CRV. It was a fabulous car with one significant flaw. As our family got bigger, it got smaller. We considered asking our kids to stop growing and yelling at all their friends so we'd never get stuck with extra passengers but we reconsidered. We came to the conclusion that it was time to buy a new car.

(To be honest, I came to that conclusion about a year ago. Beth finally caught up with me about a month back.)

With the exception of a school bus, Beth drove nearly everything that came with a third row of seats. Except a minivan. Because to drive a minivan is to admit that you're old, uncool, and maybe kind of a douchebag. What she found were little cars that tried to beb big and TARDIS-like on the inside but failed miserably. And giant cars that measured fuel efficiency in gallons-per-mile and made Al Gore weep uncontrollably. So the other day I got an unexpected text message.

Beth: I'm just about to test drive a minivan.
Me: Have fun :)
...20 minutes pass...
Beth: FUCK!
Me: Like it, huh?
Beth: Yeah.

We bought it the next day. It is glorious. So much space. So many options and configurations. So many cup holders.

Lots of things in this world cease to exist in the name of convenience - books, brick and mortar stores, CDs, the post office - and I guess I'm okay sacrificing my coolness too.

Posted by Chris at February 5, 2013 7:35 AM
Comments

I'm sorry for your loss.

Posted by: alektra at February 5, 2013 9:19 AM

What kind did you buy?

Posted by: Aaron at February 5, 2013 9:29 AM

all the more space to put cool things in it, like your growing kids :) ha.

Posted by: Heather at February 5, 2013 9:43 AM

I have to admit that now that I have a kid (and hope to have another) I've caught myself eyeing minivans, station wagons and SUVs with envy. We're just about to switch my son from an infant seat to a full size car seat and I'm not sure it will even fit in the back seat of my husband's car. And trying to cram a stroller in the trunk of my little tiny hybrid makes me cranky.

Enjoy your minivan!

Posted by: Hillary at February 5, 2013 9:55 AM

We went minivan three years ago and it has been fabulous. So many cup holders and power outlets! It will last until my daughter is out of high school, which means it is only a temporary state of uncoolness. To be followed by something sporty.

Either that or an RV, since my husband now likes all the space on road trips...

Posted by: TeresaLynn at February 5, 2013 10:05 AM

Right now I'm driving a 12 year old CRV and with two kids it is definitely getting too small. We've been looking at Pilots, Explorers, Highlanders, etc. and trying NOT to look over at the Odyssey, but I have a feeling it's inevitable. :(

Posted by: akofaolain at February 5, 2013 10:15 AM

I have no idea how minivans became uncool. I have no kids, and whenever I can I will rent or use a minivan. They are seriously designed with every contingency in mind. SUV's are just trucks trying to be cars, so nothing can every be "right".

Kudos to Beth for making the right choice!

Posted by: Lisa at February 5, 2013 10:40 AM

Tell Beth not to worry, it's totally fine, my grandma drives a minivan too!! ;)

Posted by: Maggie at February 5, 2013 11:29 AM

HAHAHA! It's true; I never thought I'd see the day. But for the record, you'll always be cool in my book. :)

Posted by: Zandria at February 5, 2013 12:07 PM

what kind did you get? i broke down and got a routan last year and love it. it took me a looong time to get over missing my jetta sport wagon but now, i'm plenty happy to have the extra room - and cupholders :)

Posted by: kati at February 5, 2013 4:11 PM

I just can't do it. I even put it in our wedding vows. No mini-vans. Pass the station wagon!

Posted by: Elissa at February 5, 2013 4:46 PM

As a family of four, contemplating another baby, I am constantly battling with the idea of what sort of car could fit us all. I don't *want* to become one of those people with an enormous car. But I fear that it is in my future. Thank you for showing that maybe there is life after nice cars.

Posted by: Cath at February 5, 2013 5:01 PM

I still kind of miss our Mazda minivan. It was the Minivan with the soul of a sports car.

And 9 cup holders.

Zoom zoom.

Posted by: COD at February 5, 2013 5:45 PM

Dude, I'm sorry. Not gonna happen here. We went from subaru forester to Honda pilot when the car seats / kids got too big and just bought our second pilot this summer. You know it and the Honda odyssey are built on the same frame? I LOVE my pilot ... and I just can't. Even as a kid of the 80s. Despite 3 kids spaced across 5 years, my parents never owned one. They make me itchy. But, really. Enjoy. :-)

Posted by: Kate at February 5, 2013 7:20 PM

The minivan is the most maligned and underrated vehicle in history. But then, I'm Uncool.

Posted by: Always Home and Uncool at February 5, 2013 10:12 PM

Hahahahahahahaha. I make my husband drive the minivan. I have a Highlander. That said, our next vehicle purchase will be another minivan (to replace my husband's) and it's gonna have 4WD, a ski rack, and all the modern conveniences. Looking forward to riding in it (and driving it as little as possible). What did you get? We're thinking Odyssey because of its 4WD for the snow.

Posted by: Brooke Habecker at February 6, 2013 1:11 PM

I did most of my teenaged driving in a minivan from permit at 16 through to leaving for college and then on semester breaks Freshman year. Dude,I loved being up and able to see everything! When my car was in the shop for a week last Spring (turned out they confused my car with someone's else's and worked on the wrong one ;-) my free rental was a fancy-schmancy new age minivan with all the perks. I was a little sad at first to get my new car back :-(
Minivans rock! But word to the wise- taking a minivan on a date as an 18 year old girl doesn't exactly give 18 to 21 year old guys the right impression ;-)

Posted by: Karen at February 6, 2013 9:52 PM

Dude. Really? Whoa. I just don't get why people head down *that* path when there are much cooler options like Tahoes or Suburbans; anything but the dreaded minivan!

Posted by: Dianna at February 10, 2013 8:18 PM