March 15, 2013

The Weeklies #249

The Weekly Chant Heard 'Round The House. We're going to Disney.

The Weekly Explanation. Yes, we booked the inevitable Disney trip.

The Weekly Television. The Walking Dead has been a favorite of mine since it debuted. Last season was a little slow but this season sees a find return to form. There is not a more awesome, horrific, disturbing and compelling show on television. And I love it.

The Weekly Fish Fail. Chilean sea bass. Long story.

The Weekly Meat. Owen grabbed a hunk of sausage out of the fridge and made his own meat push-pop. It was really a sight to behold.

The Weekly Accomplishment. As mentioned on a previous episode of a Very Special Rude Cactus, I finished a Big Work Thing this week. It was a vast undertaking but here's hoping it paid off. Regardless, it's done.

The Weekly Word. Grownuppy. Usage: When you're done doing grownuppy things, let's play.

The Weekly Music. You've probably never heard of Biffy Clyro. You should. Their new album, Opposites, is the best album of 2013. I realize it's only March but I wholeheartedly believe that judgment will stick, that I'll be showing up here at the end of December writing about just how awesome an album it was, how it stuck with me through the year, and how it emerged as my top pick for the year. Sure, it's a double-album, but don't let that scare you. It's like a fantastic mix of the best parts of Foo Fighters, Snow Patrol and Frightened Rabbit peppered with a style that is uniquely their own. It is, quite simply, one of the most fantastic pieces of music I've heard committed to tape.

The Weekly Admission. I'll admit I was wrong. I didn't expect sequestration to last more than a week. Instead it simply seems that congress and the president don't give a shit. Huh.

The Weekly Question. Which is a bigger deal - new pope or Google shutting down Google Reader?

Posted by Chris at March 15, 2013 7:00 AM
Comments

Global leader of billions of followers and money beyond nearly every nation who has spent the last 20+ years choosing to live simply when he had every opportunity to live an opulent life?

Or RSS feeder...

Hmmmm.... ;)

Posted by: alektra at March 15, 2013 8:55 AM

Disney Disney Disney! YAY! The kids are going to LOVE the trip :) We go pretty frequently - and on our last trip, were thrilled to go through the new Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom. So, if you want any tips or help planning your time there - please let me know - I'd LOVE to help :)

The sequestration, and how Congress just doesn't seem to care about the people who put them in office. Their salaries don't get cut, and they seem to be so disconnected from reality. (I tend to agree with the thought that those who put us in this situation should all be booted and replaced with fresh minds).

I was much more distressed about Google announcing the sunsetting of Google Reader than about the new Pope. (Although his thoughts on same sex marriage are distressing to me).

Glad it's Friday - I don't want to be Grownuppy anymore!

Posted by: Kellie at March 15, 2013 9:14 AM

I personally care more about Google Reader, as I'm not Catholic or religious in the least.. But am not thrilled with how conservative the Pope is.

Posted by: Maggie at March 15, 2013 9:55 AM

google reader announcement killlleed me, I really am too old to adapt to another blog reading system, oh well.

Posted by: Heather at March 15, 2013 10:12 AM

Globally, the new Pope. I went back, found Bloglines had started again, and was able to transfer my reader from one to another.So back to Bloglines.
You will enjoy Disney with the kids. They are a perfect age. You will also meet truly exhausted children at the end of each day. Have fun!!!
Wish I were going too! A lot more fun than cancer surgery!

Posted by: Maribeth at March 15, 2013 10:24 AM

Disney! Have fun!

The sequestration is more important than either. I've got friends dealing with a 52% household income cut, and lots of friends in aviation who are preparing for all of the crap that's about to occur in their industry. I don't give a damn about a new pope, and Google reader? Meh.

Posted by: Mindy at March 15, 2013 10:43 AM

we love the walking dead. so much! it's fun to watch, it's fun to love, it's fun to pick apart even as you're loving it, it's fun to speculate about. great show. we look forward to sunday night all week long.

ps. SO PISSED about google reader. you can't blame a company for killing off a non-money-making endeavor, but come on. i used it more than any other google site! i liked that it is private (bloglovin is not, it's like another "online presence" that i don't need or want, plus it has a dumb name). i liked that it synced with all my devices. blah. how about losing google + ffs?

Posted by: kati at March 15, 2013 3:24 PM

Yea! Disney trip! If you have any questions, or I could lend any advice, please let me know. I spend 40+ hours a week at Disney if you catch my drift.

I'm 100% with you on sequestration too. Didn't think it would last...

Posted by: Melissa at March 15, 2013 6:19 PM

I'm going with Google Reader.

And forgive me for ignoring your musical recommendation for now. I haven't gotten over the whole Steve Wilson thing yet.

Posted by: Jennifer at March 15, 2013 6:54 PM

The "weekly meat" sounds totally dirty to me. And sequestration..ugh. Asshats.
Finally, Google reader is more important to ME at least, because it effects me more.

Posted by: Heather at March 15, 2013 11:59 PM

Biffy Clyro? Yeah, I've heard of them and used to play them on my now defunct radio station. They are on my list of music to check out when I have the chance.

Excellent recommendation, good sir.

Posted by: Matt Sledge at March 16, 2013 4:02 AM

google reader. I'm not sure what to use now. Any suggestions?

Posted by: Rex at March 17, 2013 5:55 PM