April 5, 2013

The Weeklies #251

The Weekly Activity. Waiting.

The Weekly Tragic Loss. Roger Ebert.

The Weekly Read. On Monday, Mia picked up a copy of the first Harry Potter novel. She finished it last night and immediately picked up the second one. She's seven. I thought that was a pretty impressive.

The Weekly Country That's Getting On My Nerves. North Korea.

The Weekly TV. The Brady Bunch, as I mentioned yesterday, Grey's Anatomy and The Walking Dead. We stream stuff instead of watch anything from cable these days. Which is why we ended up with a DVR full of the entire season to date, unwatched, of Grey's Anatomy. Sure, the show jumped the shark years ago but I have to admit I like this season's story arc and it's comment on modern medicine. As for The Walking Dead, well, damn awesome as always...and now we have to wait for more.

The Weekly Music. A couple weeks back I praised Biffy Clyro's Opposites, an album I think is destined to top the list of best albums of 2013. Working backwards, I discovered their previous release, Only Revolutions. While not quite as strong as Opposites, it's a seriously fantastic album. If you haven't checked out these guys, do yourself a favor.

The Weekly Diet. High protein, no beer (on school nights). Part of it is kinda awesome. Part of it, not so much.

The Weekly Question. What book are you reading right now?

Posted by Chris at April 5, 2013 8:09 AM
Comments

Anthony Bourdain's "A Cook's Tour" I love him, as he is incredibly funny and irreverent!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 5, 2013 11:04 AM

The Orchardist, by Amanda Coplin. It starts out quietly, but is surprisingly (and happily) good!

Posted by: bacioni at April 5, 2013 11:07 AM

"Juliet," by Anne Fortier. It's pretty good so far, I hope it continues to be.

I'm excited for my kids to be old enough for Harry Potter. I thought we'd start it as a chapter-a-night bedtime story when my youngest is about 7. Is it weird that I already have that planned?

Posted by: Leah at April 5, 2013 12:33 PM

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. So far I am loving it.

Posted by: Liz at April 5, 2013 12:50 PM

Just finished Executive Privilege. Now onto The Shining.

Go, Mia!

Posted by: Poppy at April 6, 2013 11:41 AM

Just finished Executive Privilege. Now onto The Shining.

Go, Mia!

Posted by: Poppy at April 6, 2013 12:09 PM

LOL, sorry for the double-post. I'm apparently passionate about Mia's reading.

Posted by: Poppy at April 6, 2013 12:17 PM

Perks of being a Wallflower. Surprisingly good and quick.

Posted by: laurs at April 6, 2013 9:54 PM

Just finished "The Storyteller" by Jodi Piicoult. I'm terrible as giving book synopsis, but check it out, it was great.

Posted by: Dianna at April 7, 2013 2:13 PM

Re-reading Robopocalypse on audiobook. Jim Dale reads Harry Potter, and you can get that as a download from the library. Worth every moment. He's fantastic.

Mia reading it first is important, though. :)

Posted by: alektra at April 7, 2013 7:25 PM

This weekend I read Insane City by Dave Barry and The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian. Both excellent for entirely different reasons.

Posted by: Annie at April 8, 2013 1:28 AM

'The Passage', by Justin Cronin. Its kind of like 'World War Z', but with vampires (nasty, non-sparkly ones).

Posted by: J at April 8, 2013 2:35 PM

Not sure you'd be into any of my selections, but here ya go:

Life Everlasting: The Animal Way of Death. Kind of says it all. A from ashes to ashes kind of thing. Non-fiction, obviously (right?).

Tumbleweeds. Almost like Friday Night Lights in book form instead of tv series form.

Random Family. Kind of like The Wire if The Wire happened in the Bronx instead of Baltimore. The author spent 10 years doing investigative reporting for this book.

(Is it odd that two of my three books are "like" tv shows?? Haha.)

Posted by: shan at April 8, 2013 11:26 PM